Transfer rumours

1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

I suspect we've been looking from Day 1 but news of our targets etc haven't come out.  When you start getting to this stage of the window, and of course toward the end, agents and the like release snippets to tender for business....

I meant this transfer window in general. It's a market we don't seem to have looked at in previous windows (with the exception of Jozwiak).

4 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Why has it taken so long for us to start looking abroad for players?

I know absolutely nothing about him but it's a yes from me.

There was a transfer embargo that meant we had trouble signing anyone who wasn't a free agent. I'd assume that we focussed on. British players then because it was an easier sell to those who could understand more of our history.

Also we had issues with payments to Lech Posnan for Jozwiak and that might have put potential selling clubs off doing business with us.

Just be thankful we are able to operate with more freedom again now and we are on the up.

3 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think Scott we have to give Warne and the club the benefit of the doubt, they had a very limited budget in league 1 and we had to recruit known quantities on free transfers who could get us out of that division. Its great that as soon as we are able we have changed our approach  

That's fair. But, even a couple of years back when we were 'flush with cash', we seemed quite happy to pay over the odds for British-based players.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's an inbetweeners quote.

Oh, yea, get that. Just seems weird that the admin has started being this interactive with people, doesn't seem to be the norm. 
Probably just a joke but haven’t seen it much so made me think.

The goalie link today from the Swedish league could well mean @Big Trav was right about us trying to sign a Swedish midfielder. How good is it that we’re looking all across Europe for targets and good deals rather than just who’s playing well in the league we’re in or prem players past their best like the Mel years.

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

The goalie link today from the Swedish league could well mean @Big Trav was right about us trying to sign a Swedish midfielder. How good is it that we’re looking all across Europe for targets and good deals rather than just who’s playing well in the league we’re in or prem players past their best like the Mel years.

Think it shows we are using analytics. We will be looking for certain characteristics and statistical markers for different positions, then digging into from there. It's not like the old days where you physically just had to watch a lot of games and then go from there.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think it shows we are using analytics. We will be looking for certain characteristics and statistical markers for different positions, then digging into from there. It's not like the old days where you physically just had to watch a lot of games and then go from there.

Totally agree and it’s actually pretty easy once you know what you’re looking for. Pretty confident we will sign 2 maybe 3 more foreign players this summer and hopefully they work out.

3 hours ago, Scott129 said:

I meant this transfer window in general. It's a market we don't seem to have looked at in previous windows (with the exception of Jozwiak).

Ah yeah, gotcha.  A lot's changed I think, new management, we're the other side of embargoes and have moved on from a policy of somewhat questionable and very narrow-minded spending. I love the fact we're seeming to be tapping into a new market of potentially very good players for likely a fraction of what they'd cost over here. Still need to get it right of course.  Aside from the financial issues we had with Jozwiak, despite the potential, he never quite realised what many of us, myself included, hoped for. 

5 hours ago, Scott129 said:

That's fair. But, even a couple of years back when we were 'flush with cash', we seemed quite happy to pay over the odds for British-based players.

But weren’t flush with cash. All the FFP was unravelling and Covid meant reduced income. We were hand to mouth and robbing Peter to pay Paul until the near collapse and Clowes rescue. I reckon it was knife edge in 2019 anyway, then Covid tipped the scale. 

Regardless, you are right it’s a great sign of broader thinking and fresh looks at everything 👍🏼

Edited by jono

1 minute ago, jono said:

But weren’t flush with cash. All the FFP was unravelling and Covid meant reduced income. We were hand to mouth and robbing Peter to pay Paul until the near collapse and Clowes rescue. I reckon it was knife edge in 2019 anyway, then Covid tipped the scale. 

Bielik, Jozefzoon, Waghorn fees and wages and holding half the Vydra cash would have meant 30 million saved and a much better outlook.  We could still have had the Mount, Tomori and Wilson loans within that as well.  This is where we tipped over I think.

So Warnes saying the new midfielder should be training with us Monday. Also said he missed out on a target they thought they had, probably Hladky?

He wants a centre back with pace. 
A striker who can hold it up (target man).

Also reiterated the want for 12 signings (7 signings with the 5 already in)