Transfer rumours

Key points from Warnes interview with Radio Derby 

- Very jokey about JWZ as he obviously can’t say it’s done. 

- He spoke to a club about a player he really wants, he doesn’t think it’ll be done before Blackburn. 

- There’s “a couple boiling” but he doesn’t hold all the cards so isn’t sure.

- One of them is a number 9, mentioned about a number 10 and a Pacey centre back also as being his “honest targets” at the moment. 

Doesn’t sound like anything is majorly close bar JWZ, but does sound like a couple of things will be decided over the next week or so.

Edited by Eoghan1884

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

- He spoke to a club about a player he really wants, he doesn’t think it’ll be done before Blackburn. 

- One of them is a number 9, mentioned about a number 10 and a Pacey centre back also as being his “honest targets” at the moment. 

Doesn’t sound like anything is majorly close bar JWZ, but does sound like a couple of things will be decided over the next week or so.

A typical Warne response really.

My guess, we like a few, but most probably won't get the few, they will sign for Oxford, Portsmouth or Sheffield Wednesday and I think the rest of our transfer dealings will be done at the end of the window and will come in the form of last ditch loans from anyone who will loan us a player.

Hope I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

On injuries 

- Ward woke up with a swollen knee so being cautious with him

- Nelson woke up ill

- Washington played with the 21’s to get more minutes

- No mention of Fornah which is weird as he’s apparently been back in full training, must be on the way out soon.

Just now, Eoghan1884 said:

On injuries 

- Ward woke up with a swollen knee so being cautious with him

- Nelson woke up ill

- Washington played with the 21’s to get more minutes

- No mention of Fornah which is weird as he’s apparently been back in full training, must be on the way out soon.

You got the link mate?

11 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I don’t like kicking a guy who’s been through what he's had to deal with personally over the last couple of years but…

Vicker’s in a similar camp to Bradley, in that I watch them play and think I could have done that in my career. And I had no career. From under 11s to my mid twenties I played keeper, centre back and centre forward.

Variously, I had poor distribution, was hopeless in the air and not much in the way of pace or a left foot. I was effective because I was tall (I’m still 6’5), clever and a good communicator / organiser.

Vickers and Bradley can’t do anything I couldn’t. And it really irks me I have to pay to watch that when if reality had a different construct I could just wander down to Hackney Marshes, Bellingham or Eureka Park to watch me exhibit the same skills.

Never mind all that what about Trampie ?? has he got any snippets of info with his infinite  wise wisdom ...............

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A typical Warne response really.

My guess, we like a few, but most probably won't get the few, they will sign for Oxford, Portsmouth or Sheffield Wednesday and I think the rest of our transfer dealings will be done at the end of the window and will come in the form of last ditch loans from anyone who will loan us a player.

Hope I am wrong.

Bang on, same as last season but the excuse given on here was that the restrictions were to blame. 

I get that our funds are limited so we have to be careful. But its deeply frustrating that we're gonna burn 3/4 matches before actually getting a competant squad together. 

In the end 41/42 matches may be enough for us to stay up, but its quite uninspiring from a fan perspective.

9 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Bang on, same as last season but the excuse given on here was that the restrictions were to blame. 

I get that our funds are limited so we have to be careful. But its deeply frustrating that we're gonna burn 3/4 matches before actually getting a competant squad together. 

In the end 41/42 matches may be enough for us to stay up, but its quite uninspiring from a fan perspective.

It’s quite uninspiring from your perspective. I’m a fan and am happy to see us spending fees again (Adams and Kenzo), scouting and signing players from markets abroad (Kenzo and JWZ if you believe the Swedish press), securing premier league loans (Ozoh, and seemingly others lined up delayed due to PL clubs being on their pre season tours), signing competent and experienced players at this level (Osborn and Jackson), adding more pace and mobility to the side (all of them).

There’s as much guarantee that we get points out of those 3/4 matches as much as “burning” them. We each have our own opinions and perspectives that shouldn’t be taken as being the same as everyone’s. 

Clowes stated early on that he had a 5 year plan to get Derby established in the Championship. We’re going into year 3, so this season should be about building a squad and ensuring we don’t flirt with relegation. As other posters have said, recruitment from abroad is encouraging, especially if JWZ signs and we must be looking at the same markets due to the value, for a CB and CF ( cue Michael Smith joining 😁). 
All I want to see is the basics being done well, good patterns of play and some entertaining football. Is that too much to ask !

10 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Clowes stated early on that he had a 5 year plan to get Derby established in the Championship. We’re going into year 3, so this season should be about building a squad and ensuring we don’t flirt with relegation. As other posters have said, recruitment from abroad is encouraging, especially if JWZ signs and we must be looking at the same markets due to the value, for a CB and CF ( cue Michael Smith joining 😁). 
All I want to see is the basics being done well, good patterns of play and some entertaining football. Is that too much to ask !

and Paul Warne signed a 4 year contract because he believed with the size of club we were there was a genuine chance of getting us into the PL.

6 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Surprised we've not got for John Jules.

Either way very disappointed we won't have anymore attacking options in before Blackburn 

I don't think it's a surprise, poor injury record will be a big factor. Where does he fit in? Not a 9, not a winger, maybe a 10 but it's we're switching to 433 won't be needed. 

Agree on the lack of attacking options in general, the lack of 9 we've been after for 3 seasons sticks out the most 

6 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Surprised we've not got for John Jules.

Either way very disappointed we won't have anymore attacking options in before Blackburn 

We have not gone for John-Jules because he's made of quavers.

We have our targets that we want and if we think we have a chance of getting them, but we have to wait, then we should wait.

Do we just move on to our 3rd, 4th or 5th choice just to say we have signed someone?

The window shuts on Friday 30th August. We have 3 league games before then, before we play Bristol City at home on 31st August, then its an international break, which I hate, but will give us 2 weeks on the training ground and probably almost do a mini pre-season for any new signings.

Yates only misses 2 league games. If we can to the end of the month with 4-6 points on the board. Then we will be ready in September to push on with a full squad.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Better to have the right players for 41 games than the wrong ones for 46.

Looks like the second leg of the Djurgårdens Conference league qualifier is tonight, wonder if this means we can expect some solid news on JWZ shortly if thats the holdup

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s quite uninspiring from your perspective. I’m a fan and am happy to see us spending fees again (Adams and Kenzo), scouting and signing players from markets abroad (Kenzo and JWZ if you believe the Swedish press), securing premier league loans (Ozoh, and seemingly others lined up delayed due to PL clubs being on their pre season tours), signing competent and experienced players at this level (Osborn and Jackson), adding more pace and mobility to the side (all of them).

There’s as much guarantee that we get points out of those 3/4 matches as much as “burning” them. We each have our own opinions and perspectives that shouldn’t be taken as being the same as everyone’s. 

I agree our actual business to date has been top notch. No grumbles about the players brought in. But from the get go it was obvious we need 10 bodies in. 

Fair enough if you’re happy to wait and see how the next month pans out. But if we do get a few dodgy results early doors (like last season) then that could be the difference between staying up or not. 

Just seems like everything has stagnated. I’m sure that isn’t the case, maybe my mood would be slighter merrier if we could’ve actually got a win against Chez, Shrews or Barnsley.

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We have not gone for John-Jules because he's made of quavers.

We have our targets that we want and if we think we have a chance of getting them, but we have to wait, then we should wait.

Do we just move on to our 3rd, 4th or 5th choice just to say we have signed someone?

The window shuts on Friday 30th August. We have 3 league games before then, before we play Bristol City at home on 31st August, then its an international break, which I hate, but will give us 2 weeks on the training ground and probably almost do a mini pre-season for any new signings.

Yates only misses 2 league games. If we can to the end of the month with 4-6 points on the board. Then we will be ready in September to push on with a full squad.

Totally agree, actually find it refreshing how smart we are now in the window. Years ago to speed things up by a few days we’d have thrown stupid cash at both player and club to get a player in. We also would probably then move onto a new target if target one would take a few weeks longer because we had the money to just throw at plan B. 

If our coaches and recruitment believe there is a chance at getting the number one option what odds does waiting a week or two to get them really make. Also if we were to sign a player next week would they start for us next Friday? Probably not so it’s not that big of a deal. Blackburn have only signed a striker from the Belgian league, a 28 year old Japanese 10 and got 59 year old McFadzean back to play centre back. All there deals happening over the last few days so in relative terms to some teams were ahead of the group.