Derbys a s**t hole I want to go home

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thanks.  You can have the form award for trying to twist everyones opinion to fit your own agenda and failing. Your dunce cap is waiting in the corner. 

Cool - I'm sat here with my dunce cap on writing my lines

"I must not contradict the made up facts of someone with incredibly thin skin who seemingly loses his sh*t big time at the idea of being challenged by the truth, and made to look a mug" x 1000

While I agreed that Derby is a S***hole, I believed this was down to the council's mismanagement and lack of any long term planning strategy. And all mish-mash of ugly buildind they have allowed to be built.

I ignored the other reason people may consider our city to be a S***hole. Is the unsocial inhabitants amongst us, that grace the centre of the city. Every city have a similar community somewhere in their city centre, unfortunately ours are very noticeable as they congregate along the main thoroughfare connecting the soulless shopping centre to the Market Place wasteland and what is left of our historical buildings.

So while architecturally, much of our city is awful. It may be the antisocial aspects of our city, that may be more noticeable to visit walking through the city, that could be a major factor why these visitors deem out city to be a S***hole.

Talking of St Peters Street why do I think I'm now in more danger of being runover by one of the plethora of E-bikes that speed through the area than I ever did by a car or bus before the street was pedestrianised.

A few years ago, one of our local councillors asked people to let her know what people thought of the city centre and any improvements that were needed - what a progressive and positive approach you might think....

My wife replied that she found the city to be quite threatening, particularly the groups of young men and the number of down-and-outs, drunks, druggies and other ne'er-do-wells that congregated on St Peters Street shouting at each other and passers-by...

Rather than respond that they were aware of the issue and were working with the police and city centre management to address the concerns, the councillor told my wife that she should not see these people as a threat, but rather that she should welcome the opportunity to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds! These are the sort of people that run our city and the reason it's such a damn mess.....

On 21/05/2024 at 20:12, YouRams said:

Its such a shame our city is in major decline, can/will anything be done about it? It has a great football club, great people it deserves some investment.

I don't agree that it's in 'major decline', I think it's now heading in the right direction but will take a bit of time. The biggest thing that had to change and IS changing is having a resident population in the city centre - That's where regeneration comes from. For many many years the population of Derby city centre has been close to zero and that really shows, the building of new homes for professionals and students will have a huge impact in time. We're not alone on this front!

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

"I must not contradict the made up facts of someone with incredibly thin skin who seemingly loses his sh*t big time at the idea of being challenged by the truth, and made to look a mug" x 1000

How have I lost my s*** big time.  How about ' I cannot just send a link saying I don't agree but need to start an argument in a paper bag before resorting to calling people some sort of ism as a way of stomping my feet.  then I complain and get their posts deleted. X 1000

50 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Rather than respond that they were aware of the issue and were working with the police and city centre management to address the concerns, the councillor told my wife that she should not see these people as a threat, but rather that she should welcome the opportunity to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds! These are the sort of people that run our city and the reason it's such a damn mess.....

And we wonder why some of us give up with some of those that have an effect on our every day lives 🙄

On 22/05/2024 at 11:25, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We all do.  That's why I get pissed of with unnecessary deline. Some of it's socio-economic but a large part is appalling planning, lack of spending and general disregard.  When did you last see a plant in a tub since they closed the glasshouse at Markeaton or actively repairing a pavement other than putting a large block of tarmac in a hole in place of a slab.  If you compare the look of the city centre from mid 90's to now it's frightening.

19 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

There were lots of plants in tubs last summer, all down Irongate

They removed them for the winter, but I guess it's easier to imagine that you haven't seen them and you just want to have a moan

That's the Derby way! 😂

19 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That the best you can do rather than have a proper debate.  Short hand s*** housing.  I'll leave it with you . Enjoy your walk round the river gardens but keep your stick handy to fend of the local wildlife Stevie Wonder.

19 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah I hate it when I make up some utter rubbish and then someone immediately debunks it out too!

18 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Your a master of verbal excrement mate.  It's all over this forum in spades.

16 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Ah! When you said "a proper debate" I didn't realise you meant at this level! 

I bow out sir, I am no match for you and your thesaurus (and your imagined lack of plants in Derby City Centre)

You win! , 😂 

16 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12483652

Stick that in your debunk pipe 

Enjoy your evening 

15 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

That's a nice article from 2011, when as you say they closed the Council Greenhouse, and you actual quote was

I simply pointed out that there was a whole load of plants in tubs last summer, all through the city - link you want is it?
https://madeinderbyshire.org/news/floral-decoration-cathedral-quarter-and-st-peters-quarter

Oh and you also said 

seemingly oblivious to the fact that they have been repaving the Spot and Victoria St for the last few months and are currently doing Albert St. This is it today

image.png.adb16ed696dc2fcfc18cb3306363fb5a.png

But I get it, it's nice to have a moan about stuff you imagined up in your own  noggin

15 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Blimey, a couple of hundred metres that have replaced and directly opposite a market place and theatre that needed millions extra spending on it after it was bodged together for a fiver.  Probably been costing millions in compo cases 

You insinuated that there had been no change to the planting in Derby in a sneering b******* manner which I know is normally the way you respond to posts on here.  You didn't simply respond as it's not your way.  I showed this was incorrect.  

13 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

and everyone agreed you were the cleverest boy in the class . 😍

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thanks.  You can have the form award for trying to twist everyones opinion to fit your own agenda and failing. Your dunce cap is waiting in the corner. 

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes, there is plenty to see if you ignore the middle of the city centre and council mismanagement and shove a few visits to Derbyshire into the mix.  

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

16 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How have I lost my s*** big time.  How about ' I cannot just send a link saying I don't agree but need to start an argument in a paper bag before resorting to calling people some sort of ism as a way of stomping my feet.  then I complain and get their posts deleted. X 1000

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9527fajsf1etwgwvi18y4o

49 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

A few years ago, one of our local councillors asked people to let her know what people thought of the city centre and any improvements that were needed - what a progressive and positive approach you might think....

My wife replied that she found the city to be quite threatening, particularly the groups of young men and the number of down-and-outs, drunks, druggies and other ne'er-do-wells that congregated on St Peters Street shouting at each other and passers-by...

And it's this area that visitors to the city will pass through as they walk around the city.

In the past we had a better class of drunks and ne'er-do-wells, the likes of Winnie Austin and Bockker Wright and their fellow cohorts seemed to move around the city in twos or threes. Only congregating in a large group  on Normanton Road, to sit on the wall outside the labour exchange  to shout at each other and the students that attended the college next door.

19 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

I don't agree that it's in 'major decline', I think it's now heading in the right direction but will take a bit of time. The biggest thing that had to change and IS changing is having a resident population in the city centre - That's where regeneration comes from. For many many years the population of Derby city centre has been close to zero and that really shows, the building of new homes for professionals and students will have a huge impact in time. We're not alone on this front!

This is an opinion and not a dig at you.

Professionals you say...hhhmmm, Altho Derby has City status it's still a small town, The huge block on Victoria street fronts onto the old Duckworth Square which leads onto Green lane which has a drug problem, I'll wager a good proportion will be buys to let, Take a look at the block on Gower Street a 5 minute walk from Victoria Street even the rats are moving out.

Students, I was a caretaker for 3 apartment blocks at Flamstead Court on Derby University Campus on Kedleston road those students weren't the best when looking after these homes or surrounding area.

Derby isn't a metropolis, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, London, Newcastle, Birmingham are some of the places where these blocks would fit in, Derby isn't...imo 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

And it's this area that visitors to the city will pass through as they walk around the city.

In the past we had a better class of drunks and ne'er-do-wells, the likes of Winnie Austin and Bockker Wright and their fellow cohorts seemed to move around the city in twos or threes. Only congregating in a large group  on Normanton Road, to sit on the wall outside the labour exchange  to shout at each other and the students that attended the college next door.

I remember them well, Bocker at the bus station saying "alright kid" then asking for a tanner(2.5p) or a fag while pissed and hardly able to stand up 😂...yes Derby has changed alright 😉

Edited by Ram-Alf

13 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I remember them well, Bocker at the bus station saying "alright kid" then asking for a tanner(2.5p) or a fag while pissed and hardly able to stand up 😂...yes Derby has changed alright 😉

Ge us 10p kid 😂

I have always thought that the mid 1960s  development of the Town centre was carried out without any regard to the character or the history of Derby. 

I suppose only people who knew Derby before the mid 1960s could really appreciate what was lost.  Many of the changes that were made wouldn't have been allowed today but in the 1960s out with the old in with the new was the byword.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Some are on probation, many not re-called when they should be to prison due to the low-risk threat they are seen to present to the public. That and the overcrowding in prisons. 

Many have been given every chance at a fresh start. Months of free accommodation in pretty nice houses, bill-free, with a starter pack of duvets, pillows, TV, kettle, baking trays etc upon release. Give it a week and many are on spice and getting banned from food banks they have no need to be in considering they are bill-free and can't be released without UC being ready upon release. Some even sleep rough despite having a nice house to go back to whilst they are supposed to be sorting themselves out a job and sorting out long-term accommodation. 

It's the areas they congregate that's the problem. Lincoln, Nottingham, Leicester etc all have the same type of resident. It's that the areas in Derby are prominent where they congregate. 

Edited by Norman

If I left Derby I'd return to Elvaston Castle for nostalgia. That's really my only tie to Derby.

Other than that? Shopping? Nightlife? Gigs? Events? Shows?... I leave Derby for all those things now. A lot of the beauty of Derby has been left to the dogs. 

When the kids are grown I can't see myself staying. Even if it's just to move to any of the beautiful villages in Derbyshire I think I'd only go into Derby when I had to. 

I accept there's plenty of places worse. But that's not a great advert. "Come to Derby! There's worse!!"

There's plenty of bad to be said about Notts. But there's so much good that upstages Derby. I go there for all the things listed above. I even end up working there a lot. The only time I've ever felt unsafe is when I'm working in the roughest of rough areas. As you would in any city. But if I'm looking for nice food, a few drinks, nice architecture, watching a play, a gig, a Christmas market.... whatever, why would I pick Derby over Notts. 

Not being Stoke seems to be the height of ambition for Derby City Council

13 minutes ago, Norman said:

Some are on probation, many not re-called when they should be to prison due to the low-risk threat they are seen to present to the public. That and the overcrowding in prisons. 

Many have been given every chance at a fresh start. Months of free accommodation in pretty nice houses, bill-free, with a starter pack of duvets, pillows, TV, kettle, baking trays etc upon release. Give it a week and many are on spice and getting banned from food banks they have no need to be in considering they are bill-free and can't be released without UC being ready upon release. Some even sleep rough despite having a nice house to go back to whilst they are supposed to be sorting themselves out a job and sorting out long-term accommodation. 

It's the areas they congregate that's the problem. Lincoln, Nottingham, Leicester etc all have the same type of resident. It's that the areas in Derby are prominent where they congregate. 

I  used too see a bloke up at the Spot and quite regularly got him something to eat and drink from  Birds.  Didn't see him for a bit then he wound up on the front of the Telegraph for pretending to be homeless but had a flat in Alvaston.  Also saw a bloke coming up from town wrapped in  blanket, walk into an archway on the flats on Friargate, where a girl was waiting with a back pack of clothes and very nice trainers he slipped on and off they went.    I do still give food, or maybe a quid but only if I'm sure i'm not being scammed which is tricky.  Used to get food from Kingsway for the bloke who kipped in the trees by the A38.  

Going back about 15 years ago you could give the Padley Centre a donation in return for food vouchers you could hand out which covered the cost of a hot meal.  A good idea but the acceptance rate was only about 1 in 4 if you offered it. 

5 minutes ago, Alph said:

If I left Derby I'd return to Elvaston Castle for nostalgia. That's really my only tie to Derby.

Other than that? Shopping? Nightlife? Gigs? Events? Shows?... I leave Derby for all those things now. A lot of the beauty of Derby has been left to the dogs. 

When the kids are grown I can't see myself staying. Even if it's just to move to any of the beautiful villages in Derbyshire I think I'd only go into Derby when I had to. 

I accept there's plenty of places worse. But that's not a great advert. "Come to Derby! There's worse!!"

There's plenty of bad to be said about Notts. But there's so much good that upstages Derby. I go there for all the things listed above. I even end up working there a lot. The only time I've ever felt unsafe is when I'm working in the roughest of rough areas. As you would in any city. But if I'm looking for nice food, a few drinks, nice architecture, watching a play, a gig, a Christmas market.... whatever, why would I pick Derby over Notts. 

Not being Stoke seems to be the height of ambition for Derby City Council

Back in the mid 90's you'd have coaches coming into the city from everywhere for a night out in Derby.  Was a great night out. 

22 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I  used too see a bloke up at the Spot and quite regularly got him something to eat and drink from  Birds.  Didn't see him for a bit then he wound up on the front of the Telegraph for pretending to be homeless but had a flat in Alvaston.  Also saw a bloke coming up from town wrapped in  blanket, walk into an archway on the flats on Friargate, where a girl was waiting with a back pack of clothes and very nice trainers he slipped on and off they went. 

Son in laws stag do in Leeds some 9 years ago, We were in a big bar there and got talking to a couple of lads, One was from Derby we asked him was he up for the test match(we were)no he said..."I'm up here begging" WTF we said...I make a good living, Derby he said "was packed with beggars"

You couldn't make this sh!t up 😮

55 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Ge us 10p kid 😂

I have always thought that the mid 1960s  development of the Town centre was carried out without any regard to the character or the history of Derby. 

I suppose only people who knew Derby before the mid 1960s could really appreciate what was lost.  Many of the changes that were made wouldn't have been allowed today but in the 1960s out with the old in with the new was the byword.

I worked at Lincas builders merchants on Brick Street opposite Rykneld Mills in the early 70s, I'd walk to the bus station and would often see Winnie Austin around Ranbys, In the summer she'd be waring a long coat scarf and gloves...wow 😬 

Then to Coup de grace...Bocka and his mates on the benches drinking cider and sharing a smoke while having a row, They knew this was a good place to get a few bob as it was at the end of the working day 👌

1 hour ago, Norman said:

It's that the areas in Derby are prominent where they congregate. 

You're right - I don't know why they choose to congregate on St Peters St outside the churchyard, but that seems to have been their spot of choice for a while. The fact it's a busy thoroughfare right in the heart of town does make it seem a bigger problem than it is, and to be fair, I walk down St Peters Street multiple times per week and I've never had a single one of them bother me. But I can see why people don't like it/feel scared or intimidated. Moving them somewhere less visible wouldn't solve their issues, but it would improve the optics of the city centre and placate the moaners

Weirdly I went down the other end of town last week for the first time since they new place opened where the old Debenhams/Duckworth Sq was and there is a lovely new big square there with benches and things - not a homeless person in sight