UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Pickford

Walker       Stones           Guehi      Tripper (Shaw if fit)

Mainoo/Wharton    Rice

Saka/Palmer           Foden                Gordon

Kane

Don't really mind which one of Mainoo or Wharton and Saka or Palmer plays. Just play Gordon and have some width ffs.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I hear this a lot but I also heard it a lot during the years when we had Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Campbell, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney, Gascoigne, Shearer, Seaman, etc.
Even the 2016 squad included Hart, Walker, Stones, Smalling, Cahill, Dele Alli, Barkley, Wilshere, Kane, Rooney, Sterling, Sturridge, Rashford, Vardy. And the 2016 team was crap but, on paper, those players were really good at the time.

We have players of a similar calibre now: some good, some very good, a couple of the best around. We've also got the usual group of players who are ageing out, or have had patchy domestic seasons, and are there based on reputation. And some talented youngsters who lack experience.

Plenty of those were decades ago. Euro 96 was 28 years ago now. But I am a loser and I argue the Italia 90 side was the next best side to the one we have now (66 aside).

Also, everyone's a manager aren't they. It's why we love the game.

46 minutes ago, Srg said:

What? and I'm just going to copy Wikipedia here

Bellingham

IFFHS Men's World Team: 2023[144]

Golden Boy: 2023[7]

Globe Soccer Awards Emerging Player of the Year: 2023[145]

FIFA FIFPRO Men's World 11: 2023[146]

La Liga Player of the Month: August 2023,[66] October 2023[76]

La Liga Player of the Season: 2023–24[10]

La Liga Team of the Season: 2023–24[147]

Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year: 2024[85]

The Athletic European Player of the Season: 2023–24[148]

The Athletic European Young Player of the Season: 2023–24[148]

The Athletic European Men's Team of the Season: 2023–24[148]

UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2023–24[149]

UEFA Champions League Young Player of the Season: 2023–24[87]

Harry Kane

Bundesliga Goal of the Month: October 2023, November 2023, December 2023, February 2024, April 2024[376]

Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2023–24[377]

VDV Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2023–24[378]

UEFA Champions League top scorer: 2023–24[233]

UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2023–24[234]

European Golden Shoe: 2023–24[379]

IFFHS World's Best Top Division Goal Scorer: 2023[372]

IFFHS Men's World Team: 2023[373]

Phil Foden

FWA Footballer of the Year: 2023–24[155]

Premier League Player of the Season: 2023–24[1]

Manchester City Player of the Year: 2023–24[99]

UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season: 2020–21,[152] 2023–24[153]

Kyle Walker

FIFA Club World Cup Silver Ball: 2023[172]

FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2023[173]

Manchester City Captain

Could keep going here, but that is objective nonsense.

You could have kept on going until you realised you had mentioned the 4 only world class players you mean?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think that overlooks that Sven had a team full of world class players, I don't believe Southgate has, or has ever had.

Sven had Rooney, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, JT and Rio for world class players.

Three of those occupied one/two positions, while Rio was out of one tournament and Rooney injured in another.

Southgate has a similar conundrum with Rice, Foden and Bellingham, but he has better attacking options in Kane, Saka and Gordon. Walker is one of the world’s best right-backs, and Stones is a top class player. I’d argue Pickford is better than any of our goalkeepers during Sven’s reign.

I don’t believe Sven’s team was any better overall than the current group.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sven had Rooney, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, JT and Rio for world class players.

Three of those occupied one/two positions, while Rio was out of one tournament and Rooney injured in another.

Southgate has a similar conundrum with Rice, Foden and Bellingham, but he has better attacking options in Kane, Saka and Gordon. Walker is one of the world’s best right-backs, and Stones is a top class player. I’d argue Pickford is better than any of our goalkeepers during Sven’s reign.

I don’t believe Sven’s team was any better overall than the current group.

Neville and Cole were 2 of the best full backs around.

I think the problem with Southgate is it’s a bit if recurring theme.  He started his England career with a bit of bravery and built a good culture and team spirit.  But he’s steadily become more scared of losing.  The last Euro’s we defended in the Final after going 1-0 up.  In the World Cup we got back to 1-1 against France and should have taken the initiative when we on top.  Instead, we let them go back in front and then made changes.

We’re seeing the same now.  We need to mix it up a bit, not necessarily wholesale changes as that would be too much disruption.  But tweak a couple players in the same formation or change formation and tweak the players - it wouldn’t take many changes to go 3-4-3/3-5-2.  Tournament football is short with between 3 and 7 games and you need to react if it’s not working.  Robson did in ‘86 and ‘90, Venables did in ‘96.  One of the reasons I like Paul Warne is because he’s not afraid to change it if it’s not working, either in game, or from game to game.  My fear is Southgate may dig his heels in.

We have world class players.  It’s a bit like the difference between Clough Jnr and McClaren.  Clough was too cautious and scared of losing.  McClaren took the same players, picked a formation that got the best out of them, and took the shackles off.  Southgate needs to channel his inner Steve McClaren (if he has one).