UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Haarland and Kane are not the same species 

No but kind of poo poos the theory about him needing a quicksilver forward alongside him to thrive.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd hardly say Haaland is a quicksilver forward? 

I read a football article recently listing the ten fastest players in bundesliga history. Haaland was rated 10th, only 0.21km/h slower than Alphonso Davies.

I'm not suggesting that's conclusive evidence, but I think he's deceptively fast once he gets that frame of his moving.

5 minutes ago, Alph said:

Rio Ferdinand reckons the only 2 players that would get in the golden generation team are Walker and Pickford. 

I think if you reverse it then you'd probably only take Ashley Cole, maybe Rio and Rooney? 

I think Rio must have been drunk when he said that. As you say, those 3 plus maybe Gerrard, though I'm not sure he'd work in Southgates system.

12 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I read a football article recently listing the ten fastest players in bundesliga history. Haaland was rated 10th, only 0.21km/h slower than Alphonso Davies.

I'm not suggesting that's conclusive evidence, but I think he's deceptively fast once he gets that frame of his moving.

He runs like a farmer carrying a milk churn in each hand, but the lad is definitely rapid.

17 hours ago, Alph said:

Rio Ferdinand reckons the only 2 players that would get in the golden generation team are Walker and Pickford. 

I think if you reverse it then you'd probably only take Ashley Cole, maybe Rio and Rooney? 

I'd pick Harry Kane over Michael Owen (controversial).

I think international football has changed massively over the last 10-15 years and it definitely suits England. Being an athlete means more than being a technical footballer. I agree with what Southgate said the other night when he mentioned that in the past, Holland would never surrender the ball but times have changed. Zidane, Figo, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta etc would pick teams apart by being very intelligent on the ball but nowadays it's about pressing, lots of energy and pace at the top of the pitch. That comes first and being pretty on the ball is secondary.

England had "better footballers" back then. Scholes was a far more technically gifted player than Jude Bellingham for example, but Bellingham has so many better attributes to adapt to more physically demanding football and he can also knock the ball around too. 

Even with Spain now, they pick players on paper who don't look particularly impressive. Certainly not a Xavi, Iniesta dream team midfield of technical brilliance. They have many more players who have energy to press and attack quicker. This is why I feel the quality of international football is dying off and why the likes of Rio would still pick many of the golden generation.

Edited by SSD

17 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No but kind of poo poos the theory about Foden needing a quicksilver forward alongside him to thrive.

It doesn’t at all, for 2 reasons

First, despite that he’s superman plenty of pundits have questioned whether City are better off with  Haarland. This is precisely because their style of football doesn’t require a conventional 9 and some say they’re better without one (as they were in 21/22). It’s a valid question and one that reflects Pep’s style and the way eg Foden and de Bruyne and Silva like to play. 

Secondly, even when Haarland is there, Foden is in a system that’s so fluid and so full of energy that it still suits him well. By comparison England look like Southgate has put lead in their boots. Especially with Kane on the pitch 

I think Foden finds playing with Kane very difficult 

On the night of Sunday 14 July, pubs and bars across England and Wales can keep their doors open until 1am as England bid to become champions of Europe, Home Secretary Yvette Cooper has confirmed.

Pub licensing hours can be relaxed to mark occasions of “exceptional national significance”, meaning pubs and bars will be able to stay open for an extra 2 hours tomorrow evening.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pubs-to-stay-open-late-as-england-bid-to-bring-football-home

Would it be brave to be negative?

As good as he’s been, I’d drop Mainoo for Gallagher. We won’t boss the midfield. So I’d stick Gallagher on Fabian, drop Bellingham onto Rodri and spoil the game.

Stick with Trippier, Yamal’s going to be cutting inside into the former’s stronger foot. Bring Shaw on to stretch the pitch when necessary.

Start Kane and substitute him depending on what sort of game pans out

I've been critical of Southgate this tournament.  Last game was definitely better, we look so much better when we are behind.

I blame Southgate's negativity in approach, starting team and timing of substitutions. Others may say the ends justify the means and he's got everything right.

Can see nothing other than 'same again'. Against Spain its more sensible than in previous games anyway.

Kane has been terrible but could end up with the Golden Boot. No way is he dropped.

Agree with @Ghost of Cloughthat Trippier makes sense as they will cut inside anyway. The 'weaker' players (Guehi, Mainoo) have been excellent, it's the stars who have struggled at times (Kane, Foden, Bellingham, Walker) so it will be see how we go and use the subs.

Can see a tight game. 1-1 maybe.

Feels like the stars have aligned... here's hoping.

Whilst not really playing any top teams on our way to the final has been a real bonus, it does mean we haven't yet played a good team who will come at us.

I think Southgate had spent a lot of time thinking about how we could beat a top side, with a QF vs France or Italy expected.

We then ended up playing weaker teams who sat back, something that we don't look very good when playing against. I don't think it's a coincidence that our best performance was 1st half vs a reasonable Dutch team, before returning to similar struggles as they went more compact and defensive in 2nd half.

Playing Spain is going to be totally different type of game. They will have more of the ball than us. Their possession will be in our half. But we'll probably have more attacking opportunities than in the other games.

I'm glad we aren't playing France though. Would not be very confident going into that match, maybe 60:40 against. They would sit in tight, give us nothing, but then be dangerous on their odd attack. Plus they are used to finals and winning.

I think Spain is a 50:50 match. They haven't been great for 10 years, so this team is not used to winning. The different styles make it harder to guess what might happen. They could play wonderful football and win easily. Or we could hit them regularly on counters and do the same. We also have no recent history against them to impact our thinking and vice versa.