Pre season

47 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

'At this stage' as in less than a week until the season kicks off / final pre-season game territory. Granted the wording of the post 'when we were in admin' was poor/rushed but I'd think it obvious to most what I meant.

We started that pre-season with the deficiency you mentioned but by the time the season proper came along we had pretty much everything/one in place who would become staples of the team throughout the season. Last season we could say similar too.

This season we're still 3-4 first team starters short, still don't really know our preferred formation is and haven't had much time to work on things tactically, against the backdrop of stepping up a division.

You don't.  I don't.  Warne might know. 

53 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

We've spent the last decade 3-4 short, my old mucker! The day Derby heads into a season with me thinking, 'yeah, ducks in line' we're all over this', I'll fall off my barstool. Clearly you don't agree, but my sense of it is that we've signed well to date and with a month left to strengthen further, I think the club should be commended for their approach, not criticised. Best we agree to disagree on this one.

You've taken a pretty simple comment on a feeling and turned it into something it wasn't.

In fact, I do actually agree with the things you claim I don't agree with.

At no point in my post did I criticise the club.

I'm happy with what we've done so far and trust that the rest will be sorted before the window closes,  but it doesn't alter my feeling that we're looking especially undercooked at this stage as we prepare to go from League One to Championship.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

28 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

You don't.  I don't.  Warne might know. 

He didn't sound like a man who knew when interviewed after our last match. 

He seems eternally caught between two or three different ideas. What he ideally wants to do, what's best for the available squad, what would be best for the squad if we signed x, y or z.

I get that we want to be adaptable, flexibility is no bad thing,  but with so many balls still up in the air and with no telling where they'll land it doesn't help our preparations, partially hence my feeling above.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

My biggest concern isn’t the formation or how we play, its the fact we had a good league 1 back line last season, and that is what we have now. I would have liked us to have signed a left back and another centre back. Curtis Nelson was great in league 1, but is he that great at this level? From what I have seen of Elder, he will get destroyed in the championship, and we already know Forsyth can no longer hack it at left back at this level, nor do I fancy Bradley. If Cashin gets injured, we are in a world of pain.

29 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Very very poor for the only hope friendly of pre season. I get it’s holiday season but still terrible numbers. 

The performances haven't been great so far, its a long old season, money is tight, we are still missing 4 or 5 new players who will be regulars ....and the opposition aren't packed with household names.

Still poor agreed.

Possibly shows where we are mentally.  Last season it was hit the ground running... win every game, get momentum. 

This season its the unknown, are we going to be good enough...who is joining, what formation etc. Feels like next week is the first real test and this game is pretty immaterial. 

27 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The performances haven't been great so far, its a long old season, money is tight, we are still missing 4 or 5 new players who will be regulars ....and the opposition aren't packed with household names.

Still poor agreed.

Possibly shows where we are mentally.  Last season it was hit the ground running... win every game, get momentum. 

This season its the unknown, are we going to be good enough...who is joining, what formation etc. Feels like next week is the first real test and this game is pretty immaterial. 

I do agree with you but we need to hit the ground running this year but for different reasons. Bad start and it can take some recovering from. 

21 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Jesus that is p1ss poor? Where are you all? 

Watching it at home on Rams TV for a fiver personally. A lot cheaper and more convenient than a 50 mile round trip plus the match ticket and the walk to and from the ground. I'll be at Blackburn though

8 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I do agree with you but we need to hit the ground running this year but for different reasons. Bad start and it can take some recovering from. 

Totally agree.

Just how I see it.

Usually I like going,  get behind the lads for the promotion push ahead. See who's playing where, bit of a day out and start to build for a huge day next Friday.

This season we seem to have accepted we may take a few weeks to look like we need to, and we won't be expecting to win every game regardless. 

I'm hoping we are competitive and can be with the pack when everything is in place. A keeper, centre back, striker and creative 10 short possibly is a big spine to come. We have Adams/Osborn/Ozoh so we will get stuck in, but I'm not expecting much aside from grind/effort, so I'm happy to wait til next week.

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Very very poor for the only hope friendly of pre season. I get it’s holiday season but still terrible numbers. 

We have no hope haven't you read the forum.

Probably why folks have stayed away

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

They should just make it free to season ticket holders if they want people there 

Warne has kinda shot himself in the foot a little by talking down the friendlies previously... saying he wished they were behind closed doors, playing people out of position etc.