Congrats from a Wanderer

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

1. Kick-offs - why was that changed?

2. Offside rule - can anyone explain that nowadays?

3. Drop-balls - what happened??

4. Goal- kicks …wtf?!

5. 4th official - what do they do?

6. VAR - farce. 

Football - created by the poor; stolen by the rich. image.png.1e863f6023dbaa922415cb4dc3e7c4d8.png

Couldnt do without 4th official, he holds the board up for subs and time added on😉

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

1. Kick-offs - why was that changed?

2. Offside rule - can anyone explain that nowadays?

3. Drop-balls - what happened??

4. Goal- kicks …wtf?!

5. 4th official - what do they do?

6. VAR - farce. 

Football - created by the poor; stolen by the rich. image.png.1e863f6023dbaa922415cb4dc3e7c4d8.png

1) I guess because teams nearly always pass it backwards straight away so why not change the rule to allow it? It was always a bit of a pointless exercise tapping it forward an inch or two so that another player could then pass it backwards.

2) I THINK I could (but that doesn't mean to say it's always implemented as you'd expect as some of it is subjective)

3) I don't have a problem with the new rules. If the play is stopped because of a suspected head injury, the ball hitting the referee etc why should the team in possession have to risk losing possession with a contested drop ball trough no fault of their own? The problem is that 1) referee's seem too keen to stop play even when it clearly isn't a head injury and 2) players abuse the rule by feigning an injury and lying prone on the floor.

4) Agreed. Bizarre rule change.

5) Duck knows. What's equally odd is why the managers rant at the fourth official for a decision that has gone against them even though they must know the fourth official can't do anything about it.

6) In principle, I don't think there is anything wrong with VAR but it does need some serious tweaks.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

1) I guess because teams nearly always pass it backwards straight away so why not change the rule to allow it? It was always a bit of a pointless exercise tapping it forward an inch or two so that another player could then pass it backwards.

2) I THINK I could (but that doesn't mean to say it's always implemented as you'd expect as some of it is subjective)

3) I don't have a problem with the new rules. If the play is stopped because of a suspected head injury, the ball hitting the referee etc why should the team in possession have to risk losing possession with a contested drop ball trough no fault of their own? The problem is that 1) referee's seem too keen to stop play even when it clearly isn't a head injury and 2) players abuse the rule by feigning an injury and lying prone on the floor.

4) Agreed. Bizarre rule change.

5) Duck knows. What's equally odd is why the managers rant at the fourth official for a decision that has gone against them even though they must know the fourth official can't do anything about it.

6) In principle, I don't think there is anything wrong with VAR but it does need some serious tweaks.

I would like to see a minor tournament played by pro teams without any offside, just to see how it panned out. It might be a total disaster, but I would like to see how it worked. The argument against is that it would encourage goal hangers, but it's up to the opposition to mark them. It would certainly spread out play and would put a stop to one of the most contentious issues in football.

Would the benefits outweigh the negatives?

On a side note, 5, 6 and 7 a-side games are played without offside and fun to play in and to watch, with far fewer disputes.

Edited by ram59
Further information

13 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I would like to see a minor tournament played by pro teams without any offside, just to see how it panned out. It might be a total disaster, but I would like to see how it worked. The argument against is that it would encourage goal hangers, but it's up to the opposition to mark them. It would certainly spread out play and would put a stop to one of the most contentious issues in football.

On a side note, 5, 6 and 7 a-side games are played without offside and fun to play in and to watch, with far fewer disputes.

I recall from my visit several years ago the national football museum in Preston, they had an exhibit on the history of the offside rule.  Prior to it's introduction there would be no formations by modern standards (the usual was 1-1-8 or 1-0-9) and that short passing becomes utterly pointless - so the ball is hoofed one side to the other.  

Offside emerged quickly due to it's necessity (first as gentlemen's agreement and then rule).  

23 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Be lucky.

I missed our only Wembley victory but have a 100% attendance record for all our ignominious failures.

Same. Ironic that either of those losing sides would almost certainly have performed better in the PL than the one that actually got there.

Baggies fans can moan as much as they like, but we beat them at home in the regular season, were robbed away, and finished 8 points above them. Plus, you know, we actually won. Not our fault they couldn't hit a cow's a**e with a banjo on the day.

22 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I don’t get this, if you finish third you deserve to go up mentally.

At the start of the season everyone knows the rules, top two you are promoted, next 4 positions get you into a knockout competition.

I have mixed feelings on this one. When we finish 3rd, I think the playoffs are a sh** idea. When we finish 4th-6th then I think they're great... 😎

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

I believe that when Derby won the Texaco Cup, the tournament was played with no offsides outside the penalty area.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I believe that when Derby won the Texaco Cup, the tournament was played with no offsides outside the penalty area.

Thought that was the Watney cup but could be wrong . Just checked that was introduced to the Watney cup the year after we won it 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

Serie B promotion playoffs have some interesting emphasis on league position. It sounds complicated but it is not and at least the success during the season means something. Taken from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_B:

The top two teams are automatically promoted and the third-place team is only automatically promoted if they are more than 14 points clear of the fourth-placed team. If the third-place team is not more than 14 points clear of the fourth-place team then the teams from third-place to eighth-place enter a play-off to decide the final promotion spot.

The preliminary round between fifth and eighth and between sixth and seventh is a single match on the ground of the best placed in the regular season. In the event of a tie at the end of normal time, extra time will be played. If the game is still tied at the end of extra time, the highest-ranked team goes through, without taking a penalty shootout.

The semi-finals are a two-legged competition with a first leg at home for the teams that played in the preliminary round and a second leg at home for the third and fourth-placed teams in the regular season. In the event of a tie in the aggregate result, the best-ranked team in the regular season progresses to the final, without extra time and penalties.

The final is played between the winners of the semi-finals over two legs, the latter at the home of the best-placed team in the league. In the event of a tie, the best-placed team in the regular season is promoted to Serie A, without the need for extra time or penalties. If the two finalists have finished the regular season on equal points, the second leg includes extra time and penalties if required.

14 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Serie B promotion playoffs have some interesting emphasis on league position. It sounds complicated but it is not and at least the success during the season means something. Taken from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_B:

The top two teams are automatically promoted and the third-place team is only automatically promoted if they are more than 14 points clear of the fourth-placed team. If the third-place team is not more than 14 points clear of the fourth-place team then the teams from third-place to eighth-place enter a play-off to decide the final promotion spot.

The preliminary round between fifth and eighth and between sixth and seventh is a single match on the ground of the best placed in the regular season. In the event of a tie at the end of normal time, extra time will be played. If the game is still tied at the end of extra time, the highest-ranked team goes through, without taking a penalty shootout.

The semi-finals are a two-legged competition with a first leg at home for the teams that played in the preliminary round and a second leg at home for the third and fourth-placed teams in the regular season. In the event of a tie in the aggregate result, the best-ranked team in the regular season progresses to the final, without extra time and penalties.

The final is played between the winners of the semi-finals over two legs, the latter at the home of the best-placed team in the league. In the event of a tie, the best-placed team in the regular season is promoted to Serie A, without the need for extra time or penalties. If the two finalists have finished the regular season on equal points, the second leg includes extra time and penalties if required.

I like the importance of a clear headway between 3rd and 4th.  (Although 14pts seems a bit excessive?  9pts or more would indicate an adequate superiority to me).
And if that fails, I like that the lower placed team needs to beat the higher placed team (A draw is good enough for the higher team).  I'd stick with that, but scrap all extra time as well as the pens.

It's got potential.  👍

I have been alive for six Derby Wembley appearances, missed West Ham (too young) and West Brom (booked a holiday at my wife’s behest, as we were pretty much guaranteed automatic promotion 🤨), but made the four losses…

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I like the importance of a clear headway between 3rd and 4th.  (Although 14pts seems a bit excessive?  9pts or more would indicate an adequate superiority to me).
And if that fails, I like that the lower placed team needs to beat the higher placed team (A draw is good enough for the higher team).  I'd stick with that, but scrap all extra time as well as the pens.

It's got potential.  👍

Sounds similar to the National League playoffs… just without the guarantee.