Leighton James

Grumpy Git

Sad news.

From my early teens and the very start of my Rams supporting career.
A record signing if I recall.  Brought some excitement to these young heartstrings, albeit maybe not as much as the initial anticipation.  And a subsequent swap for Don Masson.
So not perfect by any means... but still sad news.

RIP sir, and thanks for at least helping me to get hooked.

🐏

He didn't fully deliver at Derby but he was great in spells.

Sad time to join, Mackay's Derby really needed a striker to replace Franny Lee. Then Mackay was pushed out and the decline was underway...... The Doc completed it with a bang. Leighton James was not the only one to suffer..... Well, we all did. 

Anyway, Leighton, thanks for some happy memories RIP Ram 🐏 

58 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Didn't Mackay call him "the final piece in the jigsaw"? 71 feels no age nowadays. RIP 

I'm 4 days younger than Leighton.

This one really hit home.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm 4 days younger than Leighton.

This one really hit home.

I didn't know what reaction to put to that, so replying instead. Miserable isn't it? Saw on Twitter Leighton had been ill - no more details. Wishing all Rams health and happiness, but this does hit home... 

It just seems like yesterday when Leighton James signed for us. I thought he did well, but the Doc wanted him out. Leighton went on to have a very long career and I think it was a big mistake letting him go. I can remember listening to him on some kind of Desert Island Discs type show on Radio Derby around 1976 and thinking he was quite an old fashioned type of young man. He was a big Jim Reeves fan. There’s nothing wrong with that but it was unusual for someone his age. I followed his career when he left Derby and I was happy to see him do so well at Swansea, Sunderland and Burnley.

Leighton’s replacement on the wing, Gerry Ryan, also died not long ago. I have many plans for the future and I would feel cheated if I didn’t make it to at least 85 and so it feels strange to see footballers, who were once much fitter than me, passing away – especially when they are younger than me. It is possible that Leighton and Gerry didn’t keep fit after football. I don’t know. It could be that they were just unlucky.  Some people get off the train and some stay on. Eventually we will all get off, but some people have will have had very long journeys. Cliff Jones, who was another winger and who is a generation older than the above two, was giving keep fit lessons online during the lockdown.