Derby County v Reading: Ratings

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith

35Nelson

5Bradley

2Wilson

6Cashin

23Ward

27Blackett-Taylor

32Adams

4Hourihane

12Smith

17Sibley

7Barkhuizen

25Gayle

10Waghorn

11Méndez-Laing

3Forsyth

35 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 7

5Bradley 6

2Wilson 6.5

6Cashin 7

23Ward 6.5

27Blackett-Taylor 5.5

32Adams 7

4Hourihane 6.5

12Smith 6.5

17Sibley 6

7Barkhuizen 8

25Gayle 7

10Waghorn 6.5

11Méndez-Laing 7

3Forsyth 6.5

38 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

1Wildsmith 7

35Nelson 8.5

5Bradley 7

2Wilson 8

6Cashin 8 

23Ward 7

27Blackett-Taylor 7.5

32Adams 8

4Hourihane 7

12Smith 7.5

17Sibley 7

7Barkhuizen 9 MOM 

25Gayle 8.5 

10Waghorn 7

11Méndez-Laing 7.5

3Forsyth 7

TV 

Edited by SKRam
TV

ATG

1Wildsmith - 6  I actually think he was on his heels for the goal and should have done better. He reacts very slowly and was a yard from a generally soft header. 

35Nelson - 7 Strong and vocal  

5Bradley - 6.5 Did OK but gave away a couple of needless ones in their box to alleviate pressure. 

2Wilson - 7 Did exactly what was asked. Covered in defence well and also travelled with the ball with threat and spread the play late on and game managed quite a few minutes away in their corner. 

6Cashin - 6.5 Played Ok. Didn’t actually win much in the air besides his one against the post which was a shame, but covered the ground well and some of his cross field balls were a good outlet. 

23Ward - 7 Some good defending and great crosses in the box. A few looked like errant ones but would have been perfect if we’d had anyone coming in late at the back stick. 

27Blackett-Taylor - 6 Actually covered defensively well and spread the play when he came on on the left. You can feel everyone wanting him to come good. 

32Adams - 7.5 Broke up play, tackled well. Brings a steel to the side we’ve missed for a very long time.  Moved the ball forward with purpose and put some good balls through for runners. 

4Hourihane - 6  He’s a strange one for me. Extra point for the goal. Put some nice balls through, scored a peno, got their player sent off with some quick feet but became a liability later in the game as his legs went and he stopped tackling as well as running. Hope the early Tuesday game gives him time to get his legs back. 

12Smith - 7 A different player since coming back. A few errant balls but he was my scape goat earlier in the season but can’t fault him for the different player he’s become, an Adams influence I think. 

17Sibley - 6  Got kicked a lot and they concentrated on trying to get him out the game but he still battled away and helped down his wing. Booking was the first time I’d seen the old Sibbo return, but even I’d have made that challenge after being bodied and they were on a break away 😂

7Barkhuizen - 8 Best I’ve seen him play for us. Unlucky not to score but his forward play was a big reason they were on the back foot for a lot of the game. 

25Gayle -8.5 MOTM Could have had 3 and is much more of a player than I ever thought he was. Forwards goal and penno. That’s 4 goal contributions (assist for the penno if you are playing fantasy football 🙂 )out of the 5/6 he needs to match Collos input. 

10Waghorn - 6 Led the line after the substitution and should have had a goal if it had gone either side of the keeper. 

11Méndez-Laing - 6 same as Sibbo. The amount of a kicking he got was ridiculous. Some poor control but kept us on the front foot. 

3Forsyth - 6. Love seeing him back and a solid head and foot to sure up the back. 

Team ability to take a throw in - 2!!! Sort it out. It caused so much unneeded pressure and almost all wasted or gave  away. 

Manager - 7 - Some good subs and 4 at a time was a surprise.  Point deducted for not spending more time sorting our throw ins out. League 1 has the 2nd most conceded in league football so we need to be better at them! 

Edited by England Ram

1Wildsmith. 6.5 For me no fault with the goal

35Nelson. 7 Solid and won loads in the air in tne latter stages

5Bradley. 5. At fault with their goal - for me the jury is still out. 

2Wilson. 6. Did what you'd expect

6Cashin.  7 Good on the ball, defensively sound

23Ward. 6.5.  Some good balls in and wasn't exposed defensively 

27Blackett-Taylor. ,6 

32Adams. 7 

4Hourihane. 5.5. Thought he was poor and his score would be lower but fir the pen.  

12Smith. 5.5.  Didn't really get into the game

17Sibley. 6.5.  

7Barkhuizen. 6.5

25Gayle. 7

10Waghorn.  6.5.  Forced a good save - showed willing 

11Méndez-Laing. 6.5

3Forsyth.  6.   I'd probably start him over Bradley.   

Warne 7.  Didn't over think it - thought the subs made reasonable sense.  

1Wildsmith: 6 Mostly redundant. Left exposed by his mates for the goal which was Reading’s only shot on target.

35Nelson: 7 Quiet brilliance. 

5Bradley: 6 Should’ve snuffed out their chance; played even though unwell apparently. 

2Wilson: 6 A bit Don Quixote at times but has the prettiest tap-dancing steps which are great fun to watch.

6Cashin: 7.5 Masterful centre-halfmanship and smashed a header against the post.

23Ward: 7 Nip, tuck, top & side-spin; a sort of snooker-playing footballer with a pearler of a ball to Gayle for 1-0. 

27Blackett-Taylor: 6 A silky 5 minute glide about late on. 

32Adams: 8 Not just a defensive Rottweiler but now a quarterbacking distribution centre with exquisite long-rangers to his new friend Dwight. They’re going to play padel ball together. 

4Hourihane: 7.5 We are seeing a seasoned professional who used every ounce of experience to impact the game. Beautiful penalty under real pressure. 

12Smith: 6.5 Twinkled his toes and neatened up the loose threads at the game’s end. 

17Sibley: 6.5 Definitely in the wing-back groove now; power-driver flew over. Should’ve stopped the cross for their goal. 

7Barkhuizen 7.5 New found form; stole the ball & provided express delivery. 

25Gayle: 8 McGoldrick-esque. Rapid speed of thought, balletic feet and acceleration. Will tally double figures in new found twilight.

10Waghorn: 5.5 Banjo & bovine backside. Lift the banjo …& swing. Try to hit it. Never mind. 

11Méndez-Laing: 7 Ample threat always prowling; enjoying a little less pressure to perform as others step up.

3Forsyth: 6 Given a canter to re-acquaint us. 

Overall deserved win. We’ve acquired a new dimension with Dwight and Ebou forming a telepathic football connection which promises much. There’s a new-found focus and belief and we didn’t seem to miss  Max. Everything’s in our power now. 

ATG

1Wildsmith....6....Spectator. Looked a bit slow to get down for their one attempt on target.

35Nelson......7.......Solid. Again. Won everything when they put their big units on

5Bradley........6.5.....Played OK. Ultimately, at fault for their goal but plenty of opportunities for other players to have stopped it ever being a chance

2Wilson........7......thought he was excellent when he came on. Largely responsible for making 8 mins of injury time seem more like 5 rather than 15

6Cashin......7......another good game. Pity the header didn't go in 

23Ward.........7........Played very well first half and great ball for first goal. Deliveries are superb

27Blackett-Taylor.....6.....looked more on it. A bit more zip but still not really happening for him

32Adams......7........as with some other games, excellent until he gets booked. They wouldn't have scored if he wasn't on a yellow as he'd have definitely stopped their midfield runner rather than politely jumping out of his way (but at least has the brains to do that!)

4Hourihane.....7......played well. Great delivery for Cashin's header. Calmer than me for the penalty!

12Smith........7........played really well when he came on. With hindsight he's been quite a big miss for the squad 

17Sibley........6.5......missed a decent chance but was there to miss it. He's a proper threat when we play a back 3 rather than a back 5

7Barkhuizen.......8......just MOTM. Always adds zip and forward momentum and gets on the end of things. Possibly our best player when we're winning as he's great on the counter

25Gayle......7.5.......great goal, great speed for the pen. Froze the highlights and think he's just on-side for the goal .....player marking Cashin plays him on. Did a tap-in go under his foot after about a minute? Looks fit, fast, classy and bothered. 

10Waghorn.....6.....denied by a worldie save. Did OK and is a good option off the bench

11Méndez-Laing.....6.....not his best game but they dished out some stick and doubled up because of how good they know he can be.

3Forsyth....6......great to have him back as an option

One of those games where no-one played badly. First half was a a joy to watch.......and, whilst I've not been in the PW out camp, I've pretty consistently said that it's been a tough watch this season.

ATG

1Wildsmith:-6

35Nelson:-6.5

5Bradley:-6

6Cashin:-7.5

23Ward:-7

32Adams:-7.5

4Hourihane:-6

17Sibley:-6.5

7Barkhuizen:-7.5

25Gayle:-7.5

11Méndez-Laing:-6.5

2Wilson:-6.5

12Smith:-6.5

10Waghorn:-6

27Blackett-Taylor:-6

3Forsyth:-6

Edited by 1of4

1Wildsmith 6 Hes starting to worry me I don’t feel safe when he’s on the ball or running out for the ball.

35Nelson 7 As assured as ever what a signing 

5Bradley 6  Was doing ok but heaven knows how he didn’t beat Smith to that header

2Wilson 6 Ok when he came on but does lose the ball quite a bit

6Cashin 7 Him and Nelson both rocks in the defence 

23Ward 7 Since he’s come back into the side as RWB he’s been a constant threat to the opposition and delivers a lovely cross

27Blackett-Taylor 6 Still waiting to see what he can really do, but think there’s a player in there, just give him time

32Adams 7 Wins everything, him and Gayle were both tremendous signings, what a difference to the January 2023 signings 

4Hourihane 6.5 Pretty decent first half but faded badly in the second 

12Smith 6.5 Looked solid when he came on

17Sibley 6.5 Should of scored, did ok but not his best contribution 

7Barkhuizen 7.5 For me his best game of the season, great attacking intent

25Gayle 8 Class act just hope we can keep him fit till the end of the season, he could really be the difference 

10Waghorn 6 Looks slow and jaded comparing him to Gayle

11Méndez-Laing 6.5 Not been at his best the last couple of weeks, let’s hope he’s saving it for Saturday 

3Forsyth 6 Welcome back Craig, who’s gonna start at LWB on Saturday, Sibs or Forsyth 

11 hours ago, England Ram said:

Manager - 7 - Some good subs and 4 at a time was a surprise.  Point deducted for not spending more time sorting our throw ins out. League 1 has the 2nd most conceded in league football so we need to be better at them! 

Warne did mention this in his interview, i expect they will be working on it this week

ATG:

1Wildsmith - 6.5 - Relatively quiet apart from the goal which I can't blame him for.

35Nelson - 7 - So impressive aerially. Commanding performance the norm for him now.

5Bradley - 6.5 - Could have done better for the goal but not a disastrous error. Decent otherwise.

2Wilson - 6.5 - Couple of nice dribbling moves and wasn't troubled defensively often.

6Cashin - 7 - Dealt with everything he had to.

23Ward - 7.5 -  Another assist proving his deliveries are great to have in our attacking arsenal. 

27Blackett-Taylor - 6 - Probably needs a goal but there are glimpses of potential.

32Adams - 7.5 - Great energy again, interspersed with some good passing.

4Hourihane - 6.5 - Decent first half but faded in the 2nd. Fantastic penalty, however- uber composed

12Smith - 6.5 - Looks loads better recently, a great addition to have for the run-in

17Sibley - 6 - Early shot should have been on target. Defended okay against a good winger in Azeez. 

7Barkhuizen - 7 - Involved heavily in offensive link up play and made far more of an impact as a result. Should have squared the ball earlier for Waghorn though. 

25Gayle - 8 - Such an intelligent player, but won a surprising amount of flick-on headers as well, showing different sides to his game. Looking seriously impressive. 

10Waghorn - 6 - Got himself in decent areas, can't blame him for not scoring, great point blank save from their keeper.

11Méndez-Laing - 6 - Quiet day for NML

3Forsyth - 6.5 - Great to see him back

Edited by YorkshireRam

1Wildsmith:-6

35Nelson:-7

5Bradley:- 7

6Cashin:- 7

23Ward: -  6

32Adams:- 8

4Hourihane:- 6

17Sibley:- 6

7Barkhuizen:-7

25Gayle:-7

11Méndez-Laing:-6

2Wilson:-6

12Smith:-6

10Waghorn:-6

27Blackett-Taylor:-6

3Forsyth:-6

1Wildsmith - 6.5 was calm on the ball and when called upon but should of probably done better with the goal 

35Nelson - 7.5 won everything yesterday 

5Bradley - 7.5 was good considering he’s sick 

2Wilson - 6.5 didn’t do too much when he came on but had some nice touches but a few mess ups also 

6Cashin - 8 was amazing yesterday 

23Ward - 8 was very good on both sides of the ball and his assist was immense 

27Blackett-Taylor - 6.5 looked bright but didn’t do much 

32Adams - 8 was back to his best yesterday. Please stay 

4Hourihane - 6.5 a few awful decisions but he converted his penalty 

12Smith - 6.5 looked decent when he came on 

17Sibley - 7 like Ward was solid on both sides of the ball. Maybe should of done better with his chance in the first half 

7Barkhuizen - 7.5 thought he worked tirelessly and was creative when given the chance 

25Gayle - 8.5 a great display, very composed for the goal and great work for the penalty 

10Waghorn - 6 should of scored his chance 

11Méndez-Laing - 6.5 a bit quieter than usual yesterday but wasn’t bad 

3Forsyth - 6.5 bumped by a .5 for being back from injury 

1Wildsmith               6

35Nelson                 7

5Bradley                  6.5

2Wilson                    7

6Cashin                    7

23Ward                     6.5

27Blackett-Taylor     6

32Adams                  7.5

4Hourihane              6

12Smith                   7

17Sibley                    6

7Barkhuizen             8

25Gayle                    7.5

10Waghorn               6

11Méndez-Laing       6.5

3Forsyth                    6.5

ATG

1Wildsmith 6.0 - Thought we'd got him back, but he doesn't look the same player he was early season. Not sure what's gone on there. Took an age to get down to the ball for their goal and this from one of the best stoppers in the division. 

35Nelson 7.5 - Another solid outing from Mr Consistency. Has not always looked at his best in a 3 but he seems to be getting to grips with with what is required and we look better for it.

5Bradley 6.5 - Reportedly unwell but put in a decent shift and was unlucky for the goal where Smith was pretty cute in levering him under the ball. He's finding form late in the season, but better late than never.

2Wilson 6.5 - A mixed bag from Kane. His form has dipped slightly but in fairness to him, the understanding he had with Nyambe benefited both players

6Cashin 7.5 - One or two clumsy clearances, but generally very sound. Like Curtis, he's getting to grips with the new formation and but for a flukey deflection, we'd likely have seen another clean sheet. Only 1 shot on goal speaks to how well these lads are playing.

23Ward 7.0 - Another strong outing despite one or two overhits and he looks able to trouble defences with ball at feet or from set pieces. Seems the perfect foil for Gayle.

27Blackett-Taylor 6.5 - Signs of improvement after a difficult start, I think he can continue improving and show himself an asset in the long run for home.

32Adams 8.5 - He here, he's there, he's every ******where, another MOTM performance to add to his collection. Love him!

4Hourihane 6.5 - Soild enough without tearing up any trees. Definitely looks improved with Ebou around to marshall midfield.

12Smith 7.0 - I think I might be starting Korey against Bolton, were it up to me. He calmed things down a little and his passing ability is something I'd not noticed early season.

17Sibley 6.5 - Not quite at the level of recent games, but a solid enough performance all the same. Switched off for their goal, but the same could be said for a few others too.

7Barkhuizen 8.0 - Like a man possessed in recent games. His performances in recent weeks, versus first half of the season are like night and day and he's a genuine threat with the ball and works very hard to regain possession when cough up the ball. Another tip top outing from Tom.

25Gayle 8.0 - No ego, loves to play football and seems to have taken to the club almost instantly. Might he be another player who has found a home of sorts at this great club of ours?

10Waghorn 6.5 - Worked hard and really should have scored, but he'll need a game or two and it's great to have him back in the mix.

11Méndez-Laing 6.5 - Hit and miss from Nate, but was on the end of more than a few spiteful challenges. Looked like he might bubble over at one point, so I'm gald he regained composure as I think winding him up was very much part of reading's MO.

3Forsyth 6.5 - Looked a little rusty, which is entirely to be expected, but who cares, it's Fozzy and we love him. Could yet play a critical role in these last 8 games.

WarneWatch - Probably a little frustrated that his players were not more clinical, but I think he picked the right side and formation and had clearly learned from the game at the Madjeski. Some will always find fault, but for me, he's doing a good job now and I still think we're in with a sniff of the top slot. The fans seem to be slowly coming around and in fairness have been excellent in their support for a while now. Another job well done. now about that Bolton game...

ATG

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 7.5

5Bradley 6.5

2Wilson 6

6Cashin 8

23Ward 7

27Blackett-Taylor 6

32Adams 8

4Hourihane 6.5

12Smith 6.5

17Sibley 7