Might we lose...

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I really hate that Reading game. What you say about the rest of the season is absolutely correct. We'd adjusted our expectations for the season so many times, from can we stay up? > can we compete? > can we get 16 points? > can we at least see something to be positive about for next season? That's where we were going into the Reading fixture. If we'd somehow got a win or at least shown some fight in that game, I guarantee the players would've been applauded despite an abject season. We got nothing and were obliterated by a poor Reading side who would be joining us in the Championship. It was the moment we all had to accept that not only had we been s*** in the Premier League, but we were going to be s*** in the Championship.

Terrible game.  As I recall they needed a win to see if they could stay up and missed out on goals.  That should have made them very nervous or very up for it.  The were up for it and we  weren't.  Bit like when we lost 3-0 and finished 7th.  Bit like when we could have gone top a few weeks back.  Reading are a pain in the arse in general.

7 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

Of home games I managed to only miss.... Newcastle... *sigh* you couldn't make it up. When we went into the next season, I remember it dawning on me that despite being an ST holder that I hadn't seen us win in well over a year. Jesus wept, what a time that was to endure being a Derby fan ! I climbed out of the East Stand at the final whistle on the final day and watched some lads unfurl a banner with 'Thank f*** that's over' written on it. Quality ! Summed it up perfectly!

But He didn’t weep because He missed the Newcastle match - He’s omni-present!!

10 hours ago, Srg said:

No one is ever beating 11 points, and I've long since made peace with that.

The rest of it is just whatever, but Sheffield United are truly horrific. That's 16 goals conceded in their last 3 home games (a record). 3 teams have scored more goals at Bramall Lane this year than they have.

I agree its unlikely we'll ever lose the 11 point record but Sheff Utd are very fortunate there is another team struggling just as badly pointswise (Burnley). 2007/08 was such a strong division & we were so much worse than the 19th best team hence the total. We also had a manager who seemed to be sabotaging the squad from the outset in some strange power game with the board. A perfect storm.

As others mention, the way we rallied around such a poor team was different class & won us a lot of respect from Prem clubs & media. Am really struggling to think of a fanbase that dial up their support when times are so grim...we saw similiar in 2021/22 when in administration. Probably why the 'entitlement' accusation has so infuriated me this season, like we're not ever allowed to demand success even after such a garbage last 20 years.

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

And I thought I was the only one to have only missed the Newcastle home game that season. 

Thank you @Mick Harford and @Alty_Ram.  Join the club.

My husband missed it, too. We were on holiday.

I didn't have a season ticket in those days as I was working weekends.

I personally will never forgive the ineptitude and lack of fight in that season , embarrassing is a mild term to describe it and hate it when we get mentioned in the media for it....lame useless gutless and probably never to be beaten  

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

I personally will never forgive the ineptitude and lack of fight in that season , embarrassing is a mild term to describe it and hate it when we get mentioned in the media for it....lame useless gutless and probably never to be beaten  

Was it gutlessness or just human nature?

It got to the stage where nobody wanted the ball.

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

I agree.  They tried till February but then brought in 5 or 6 football mercenaries who couldn't give a s*** and played dead half the time.  This just made the problem worse.  They've since cashed in further on their lack of b******* and ineptitude by flogging it too the highest bidder for parody betting skits.  

13 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Chanting 'Lets pretend we scored a goal' against Villa at home was chuffing brilliant to be fair, then celebrating wildly when nothing had happened on the pitch.

I'm weirdly proud of that season, attending every home game apart from one and a few away, guess which was the only home game I missed? as me and my mate, Tim, decided to watch it on TV  instead.

You and me both. It just wasn't feasible for me to get to it.

17 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

no not all - but you certainly seemed to have not read my post properly

It wasn't me that wrote QUOTE  On that basis - it's still highly unlikely our record will be broken, but I wouldn't say impossible. UNQUOTE

Our record from “That Season” of going 32 games without a win -will never be beaten . No other club has gone more than 19 , I believe . The difference with the Prem to 15 years ago is that the games are showed worldwide , and one sided games do not interest the neutral football fan .