Derby County V Port Vale: Player Ratings

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith

35Nelson

5Bradley

6Cashin

23Ward

8Bird

32Adams

4Hourihane

17Sibley

11Méndez-Laing

27Blackett-Taylor

25Gayle

10Waghorn

7Barkhuizen

12Smith

1Wildsmith.....not much to do..... 6

35Nelson.....steady Eddie..... 7

5Bradley.....bit of a Horlicks at the end but chance went wide..... 6

6Cashin.....fine form continues..... 7.5

23Ward.....rightly MotM..... 8

8Bird.....kept things ticking..... 6.5

32Adams.....hope we sign him full term..... 7

4Hourihane.....prefer him as a sub..... 6

17Sibley.....lucky with first goal, excellent second goal..... 7

11Méndez-Laing.....signs of a return to top form..... 6.5

27Blackett-Taylor.....had a shot so things are looking up..... 6

25Gayle.....tidy headed goal..... 6.5

10Waghorn.....minutes to aid sharpness.... 6

7Barkhuizen.....did well in build up for first goal..... 6.5

12Smith.....steadying influence..... 6.5

1Wildsmith 6 nowt to do 

35Nelson 7 nice and solid

5Bradley 6 good game, nearly gifted PV a goal at the end

6Cashin 7 good game though not really tested 

23Ward 7.5 much more like it 

8Bird 6 didn’t really drive the team forward against poor opposition 

32Adams 6 not as involved as in recent games 

4Hourihane 6

17Sibley 7.5 two good goals and attacked well, second half particularly 

11Méndez-Laing 5 seems out of form atm

27Blackett-Taylor 6

25Gayle 7 good movement, good goal, if we got him proper service he could be the difference

10Waghorn 6

7Barkhuizen 6 influential in the build up to both goals, but otherwise largely anonymous. Not sure what his role was.

12Smith 6

ATG

1Wildsmith. 6.5 not much to do but did it well

35Nelson. 7 Solid

5Bradley.  5.5 Big error could have cost us a goal

6Cashin. 7.5

23Ward. 7.5

8Bird.   6.5

32Adams. 6.5

4Hourihane. 6

17Sibley. 7.5

11Méndez-Laing. 6.5

27Blackett-Taylor 6.5

25Gayle. 6.5

10Waghorn. 5.5

Barkhuizen. 5.5

12Smith 6

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 7

5Bradley 6

6Cashin 7

23Ward 8

8Bird 7

32Adams 6.5

4Hourihane 6

17Sibley 7.5

11Méndez-Laing 6.5

27Blackett-Taylor 6

25Gayle 7

10Waghorn 6

7Barkhuizen 7

12Smith 6.5

ATG

1Wildsmith   6.5

35Nelson    6

5Bradley    6.5

6Cashin    7.5

23Ward   8

8Bird    7

32Adams   7

4Hourihane   6

17Sibley    8

11Méndez-Laing  7

27Blackett-Taylor  6

25Gayle  7

10Waghorn  6

7Barkhuizen   6.5

12Smith  6

ATG

1Wildsmith 6.....Spectator for most of the game. Much more composed than last couple of games when involved.

35Nelson 7......another decent outing

5Bradley 6.5....generally pretty good apart from 1 misplaced pass at the end that could have given a goal away.

6Cashin 7.5....very good again

23Ward 8..... he played like a proper wing back and did it very well. Some crosses are ridiculously good for this league

8Bird 7.....Let's be honest, their midfield was absent, so not his most difficult game - but he played well.

32Adams 6....see Bird. Not a lot for our destroyer to destroy. Strange to see him higher up but delivered a nice cross for Gayle

4Hourihane 6...not much time

17Sibley 8......a better LWB than Elder imo and, like Ward, actually played as one today. Second goal was excellent.

11Méndez-Laing 7.....much better than Tues. Constant threat

27Blackett-Taylor 6.......not much time. Possibly looked like he had more of a spring in his step today.

25Gayle 6.5....didn't do a great deal other than score but occupies defenders and looks sharp

10Waghorn 5.5....not a lot came off for him

7Barkhuizen 6.5.....not sure if he officially had a floating role but seemed to be all over the place (in a positive way) in the first half. Very good work for the 2nd goal  - pity he missed the close range effort. Not seen it back - not sure if it was a sitter

12Smith 6.....not much time

At last.....a game where you can relax. Not sure if we made Port Vale look bad or if they managed it themselves. Seen a few comments saying we sat back at 1-0. Not sure about that - thought we pressed on and could have been 2 or 3 up before PV came into it for a few minutes

1Wildsmith - 6

35Nelson - 6

5Bradley - 5

6Cashin - 7

23Ward - 8.5

8Bird - 6.5

32Adams - 6.5

4Hourihane - 6

17Sibley - 8.5

11Méndez-Laing - 6.5

27Blackett-Taylor - 6

25Gayle - 7

10Waghorn - 5.5

7Barkhuizen - 6

12Smith - 6

1Wildsmith 6.5 - Solid enough after two shaky starts, but in truth, was well screened and had little to do. Still better than last time out, though that's a very low bar. A welcome improvement nonetheless. 

35Nelson 7.0 - Mooted before the game that playing in a 3 does not suit Curtis overly and he was slow to get into the game, though he did look better by the end. Perhaps he's just acclimatising to the role, but I'd still question whether we sacrifice the back 4 option to accommodate Bradley.

5Bradley 7.0 - Another solid enough performance. The haters will hate, don't they always, but he's playing well enough to my eye. Whether a back 3 is typically what we really want, I'm not sure though, but it's not my call and I've now bored myself saying it.

6Cashin 7.5 - Another solid enough game. He's a 7+ pretty much every game these days and if ever there was an incentive to get promoted, keeping the likes of Eiran at the club would be it, to my mind at least. 

23Ward 9.0 - Feeling a bit smug after putting him up as needing to start yesterday, though I have to admit I didn't see that performance coming. When we look back on this season, this will be right up there with the best outings we've seen all year. He was a menace from start to finish and with Joe as a RWB and Ryan as an RB, we look ridiculously strong on the right flank now. I noted one wag suggesting we were starting with the slowest WBs in the league. Didn't look that way to me! 

8Bird 7.0 - Quietly effective without tearing up any trees. In fairness, he seemed to content to keep things ticking along and he did that well enough. I don't mind that as I think he'll be critical in some harder games to follow. I do wish he'd signed for an extra year with a caveat though, as £2.8 mill might look stupidly cheap this time next year. Owes us fook all IMO, though I'll be gutted when he leaves.

32Adams 7.5 - Never lacks effort, but there was more than just endeavour about him again and he's now added to the man-crush list. A really excellent loan and I'm desperate to see us tie him in if there's anyway that deal can be done. We're a different team with him starting.

4Hourihane 6.5 - Didn't even notice him, sorry Conor. Gave you a median score plus 0.5 for the win.

17Sibley 8.0 - Suggested he might be the wildcard and this was his best performance in some time, indeed without Ward, he would have been my clear MOTM. He had already looked brighter of late in any case and is clearly not just accepting his team responsibilities, but now relishing them. Quite why it's taken so long and so many coaches, I don't know, but it's very much a case of better late than never, assuming he can kick on from here. Get him re-signed in any case, please!

11Méndez-Laing 7.0 - Looked more himself back in his natural environment and I think he'll get to understand Gayle's movement better with games. With Bird to unlock teams through the middle and Nate and CBT out wide, Gayle must be licking his lips right now.

27Blackett-Taylor 7.0 - had been mildly concerned about him, though on reflection, I've no idea why, though possibly as I don't really know very much about him. Still limited evidence, but he looked a lot brighter yesterday. A 7/10 may be over-egging it slightly, but there's signs of distinct promise. If he grows into the team I could see Nate getting far less attention and that's gotta be a positive.

25Gayle 8.0 - One thing I'd not noted about him across what has been a really good career, is his work rate. It's genuinely Collo-esque and if anything says 'I'm not just here for the shekels' that's it. His movement, runs, just everything about him screams a league above this level and he took his goal with aplomb. I fancied he'd be deadly at this level and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Those who chose to write him off without doing any homework on him at all, it seems, well they look pretty silly right now. Without being mean, long may that last! 

10Waghorn 6.5  - Little chance to shine or show his stuff so gets the median plus win bonus rating. I'd not be surprised to see Waggy feature significantly over the run in as he too has class to spare at this level.

7Barkhuizen 7.5 - Been driving me nuts in the last few games after previously rediscovering some good form. If he could finish like he takes up a position, then he'd be a Premier League player, but this was a decent outing in the grand scheme and another welcome return to form. Consistency now please Tom!

12Smith 6.5 - Perhaps unlucky not to start given his impressive form of late, but I think PW had a clear vision for this game and given the result, who am I to argue? Median plus 0.5 again.

WarneWatch - With the lad squandering leads in recent outings and conceding ground to teams around us, this game was huge. Other results di not really help us much, so not conceding further ground was an absolute mandatory condition and one Warne met head on. We can talk about the quality of his football until we're blue in the face and many on here do precisely that, but these types of game do somewhat answer his critics and whilst I wanted a back 4, I thought the gaffer got it spot on in the end. Vale were poor, but they were resoundingly 2nd best, bar that weird 15 minutes of mass hysteria and while we have tougher tasks ahead, another 3 goals to build our GD further and 3 more points in the bank with a clean sheet... well that's good enough for me! Brizzle next week, where the competition have easier games on paper, so another huge test of our credentials, but I feel quietly confident all the same. Well done lads, and well played Mr Warne. Onwards.

Edited by Comrade 86

1Wildsmith 6 - Not much to do. Kicking better than Tuesday. 

35Nelson 7 - Solid enough and some good forward balls down the line. Did start to get closed down a bit towards the end so less effective and more wasteful. 

5Bradley 6 - Solid enough game but had another brain fart towards the end that almost cost us a goal. 

6Cashin 7 - Solid and some strong forward runs. 

23Ward 9 - Best game in a Derby shirt and solid at the defensive side as well as a constant threat. Changed lots of his crosses up to keep them lower for our diminutive striker. 

8Bird 6 - Average game for him. 

32Adams 7 - Solid defensively and actually one of the willing runners supporting the striker. Nice cross for the second. 

4Hourihane 5 - Didn’t do much and has to use his constant slow it down gesture at least 20 times a game, even if it’s the lat 5 mins. I know it was not bad game management but definitely changes the pace of the game. 

17Sibley 8 - Best game in a long time. Really pleased for him. Strong defensively and two goals to his tally. 

11Méndez-Laing 6 - Not as effective as he had been. Been slightly off it for a few games but still OK. 

27Blackett-Taylor 6 - Got to stretch his legs a bit and had a shot which might make him feel better. Hoping he starts getting a few more minutes to be effective as he cost enough time and effort to get him in. 

25Gayle 7 - Good goal, good movement, and helped bring others in to the game. 

10Waghorn 5 - Ran around a lot and got a tame shot off but it is more minutes under his belt. 

7Barkhuizen 5 - Strange one. Two involvements leading to goals but other than that nothing. 

12Smith 5 - Some awry passes but solid enough. 

1Wildsmith - 6 had nothing to do  and should be a 5 cos still seething from Tuesday night🤬

35Nelson - 7 absolute rock best signing Warne has made

5Bradley - 7 nothing much to do but yes he’s starting to look like a player 👍

6Cashin - 7 him or Nelson for player of the season

23Ward - 8 great game and this is what Warne thought he was signing, not a right back but RWB yes please

8Bird - 6 not his best game a bit quiet really but ok

32Adams - 7 he allows other players to play, good signing 

4Hourihane - 6 for me, rightly so he’s on the bench 

17Sibley - 9 can’t believe he didn’t get MOM, had a great game and scored 2 as well WTF 🤷🏿‍♀️

11Méndez-Laing - 6 love this man but think he needs a rest, been quiet the last few games

27Blackett-Taylor - 6 did ok when he came on, stating to look more like the player we thought we’d signed

25Gayle - 7 lovely header for the goal, I think if we can get the ball to him more often he can be a real player for us

10Waghorn - 6 still doesn’t look match fit

7 Barks - 6 didn’t really do enough for me, CBT waiting in the wings👍

12Smith - 6 ok for the last 10 minutes 

15 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

1Wildsmith - 6 had nothing to do  and should be a 5 cos still seething from Tuesday night🤬

35Nelson - 7 absolute rock best signing Warne has made

5Bradley - 7 nothing much to do but yes he’s starting to look like a player 👍

6Cashin - 7 him or Nelson for player of the season

23Ward - 8 great game and this is what Warne thought he was signing, not a right back but RWB yes please

8Bird - 6 not his best game a bit quiet really but ok

32Adams - 7 he allows other players to play, good signing 

4Hourihane - 6 for me, rightly so he’s on the bench 

17Sibley - 9 can’t believe he didn’t get MOM, had a great game and scored 2 as well WTF 🤷🏿‍♀️

11Méndez-Laing - 6 love this man but think he needs a rest, been quiet the last few games

27Blackett-Taylor - 6 did ok when he came on, stating to look more like the player we thought we’d signed

25Gayle - 7 lovely header for the goal, I think if we can get the ball to him more often he can be a real player for us

10Waghorn - 6 still doesn’t look match fit

7 Barks - 6 didn’t really do enough for me, CBT waiting in the wings👍

12Smith - 6 ok for the last 10 minutes 

Bradley should be 6.5 I forgot about that awful pass and tackle near the end🙈

and forgot an 8 for Warnes team selection, much more attacking and WTF wasn’t he more industrious on Tuesday night

20 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Bradley should be 6.5 I forgot about that awful pass and tackle near the end🙈

and forgot an 8 for Warnes team selection, much more attacking and WTF wasn’t he more industrious on Tuesday night

Noted. 

16 hours ago, Ellafella said:

ATG

1Wildsmith 6.5 Still not happy with his speed of distribution. Not tested.

35Nelson 7 Lovely through ball to Ward for the first goal. Took too long sometimes and clearances charged down/tackles made.

5Bradley 7 still having one wobble a match but solid enough

6Cashin 7.5 marshalled their no.25, who I thought was there most lively player, well.

23Ward 8 very good. Exactly how we should play with WBs. Great energy, intelligent football. Hope he can do it against the better teams.

8Bird 6 Anonymous after the first 15 minutes.

32Adams 7 Started more advanced than Bird. Lovely cross for Gayle’s goal. Harried and battled well.

4Hourihane 6 if Bird and Sibs start I don’t think we’ll miss his set piece deliveries. Sub for me from now until the end of the season.

17Sibley 8 played the role PW wants very well. Finish for his second was exceptional.

11Méndez-Laing 6 could CBT play his ‘free’ role for a couple of weeks?

27Blackett-Taylor 6.5 Would love to see offside call again! Bright and more involved. Needs some starts 

25Gayle 7.5 showed his experience with clever runs, touches and interplay. Reminded me a bit of Didzy 2nd half.

10Waghorn 6 See CH

7Barkhuizen 6.5 Jekyll and  Hyde. Missed a sitter from 7 yards out. Unlucky no one was on his wavelength for the backheel off the touchline. Great work in a similar position to take 2 men out and find Adams for Gayle’s goal.

12Smith 6.5 Saw the game out.

Edited by DiggerB