Paul Warne

Day

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm much more confident that we will stay up after watching the last three games, than I was after watching the first three.

One of my main worries about Warne is that he can't/couldn't get us playing better football. I was concerned that we would go into this season playing the same way we did last season. I felt this was looking even more likely after the first three games.

But since the Bristol City game I actually think we've been steadily improving game on game. Even last night, I thought we looked as good as them, if not better, for the first 25 minutes.

If we can get a bit lucky with injuries and find a way to get the balance right up top, I think we'll stay up.

Credit to Warne for improving the team.

We just need three players I reckon in January to make sure we’re safe. I think we could lose four from the squad to make way for them. 

The goal scorer we didn’t get in the last window, a left sided midfield player and an attacking left back.

We’re not far short, but a bit shallow squad wise in terms of quality.

Still a few League One players who through no fault of their own just aren’t up to scratch.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We just need three players I reckon in January to make sure we’re safe. I think we could lose four from the squad to make way for them. 

The goal scorer we didn’t get in the last window, a left sided midfield player and an attacking left back.

We’re not far short, but a bit shallow squad wise in terms of quality.

Still a few League One players who through no fault of their own just aren’t up to scratch.

Yes definitely need a goal scorer, but they cost big bucks at any level. So I'm not holding my breath on that front. If we could maybe get a decent midfield player in, that would be a plus. 

To get any players in, we have to "get rid" first as our allowed squad size of 25 is full. Loans out for Barks, Collo and Wash wouldn't be a surprise. Any incoming striker is likely to be a loan as, seeing we didn't appear to have the cash over the summer, we'll probably be in the same boat come January unless we get mega bucks in from the reported "new investor" we're looking for.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

To get any players in, we have to "get rid" first as our allowed squad size of 25 is full. Loans out for Barks, Collo and Wash wouldn't be a surprise. Any incoming striker is likely to be a loan as, seeing we didn't appear to have the cash over the summer, we'll probably be in the same boat come January unless we get mega bucks in from the reported "new investor" we're looking for.

It somewhat depends on formation. For example, if we decide we'll play with a back 4 more often than not, we probably don't need Nyambe, Wilson and Ward for the RB spot. Ward seems to be 3rd choice at the moment, so him leaving would free up a spot for some Ozoh cover.
It also seems pretty obvious we'll loan/sell Washington if we get a CF lined up. Brown would also head out (even though he doesn't have to be registered)
We also need to strengthen on the wings - Barkhuzien hasn't featured since August and his only start was the first game of the season, so is probably the most likely candidate to leave. Chirewa's loan being terminatedis another possibility

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It somewhat depends on formation. For example, if we decide we'll play with a back 4 more often than not, we probably don't need Nyambe, Wilson and Ward for the RB spot. Ward seems to be 3rd choice at the moment, so him leaving would free up a spot for some Ozoh cover.
It also seems pretty obvious we'll loan/sell Washington if we get a CF lined up. Brown would also head out (even though he doesn't have to be registered)
We also need to strengthen on the wings - Barkhuzien hasn't featured since August and his only start was the first game of the season, so is probably the most likely candidate to leave. Chirewa's loan being terminatedis another possibility

For me the jury is still out on Chirewa. He made mistakes on Tuesday but he was far from being alone in that. The minutes he's had have me thinking there's a player in there that needs time to develop which is exactly why he was available on loan.

I see Tuesday's game as one where "starters" were rested for the QPR game. Others got a start. Chirewa included, and he showed why he will be a "finisher" for the immediate future. He's here for game time to aid his development. Certainly up to the New Year that will be cameos off the bench unless we get a plethora of injuries/suspensions.

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

For me the jury is still out on Chirewa. He made mistakes on Tuesday but he was far from being alone in that. The minutes he's had have me thinking there's a player in there that needs time to develop which is exactly why he was available on loan.

I see Tuesday's game as one where "starters" were rested for the QPR game. Others got a start. Chirewa included, and he showed why he will be a "finisher" for the immediate future. He's here for game time to aid his development. Certainly up to the New Year that will be cameos off the bench unless we get a plethora of injuries/suspensions.

In a 25 man squad, you don't want more than 5 wingers. If we're to add one, then that means choosing up to 4 of our current wingers to stay. Jackson and Mendez-Laing are our first picks at the moment. That means 2 from Barkhuizen, Blackett-Taylor, Harness and Chirewa. For me, I would keep Blacket-Taylor (contracted for another season and the most likely to score), and Harness (provides an option at AM). There's 3 months for that to change though.

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's we need to really nail down by then. Right now the squad is caught between formations and that's part of what we've suffered from with Ozoh's injury. I do think 433 is what we should be looking as the primary goal.

Discounting the amount of squad disruption with the amount of business it would take for one second, I'd be thinking of doing something like:

Sell (roughly ordered by preference)

Washington

Bradley

Collins

Ward 

Barkhuizen

Harness/Chirewa (loan termination for one of them)

Buy (Ideally permanent, roughly ordered by preference)

Defensive midfielder 

Striker

Winger - Ideally left footed

LB - Preferably someone younger

Centre back - Preferably younger with pace 

I know that's one more going out than coming in but I'd leave that space open to give room for academy players or to sign someone young to develop in what the places currently occupied by a loanee. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's we need to really nail down by then. Right now the squad is caught between formations and that's part of what we've suffered from with Ozoh's injury. I do think 433 is what we should be looking as the primary goal.

Discounting the amount of squad disruption with the amount of business it would take for one second, I'd be thinking of doing something like:

Washington

Bradley

Collins

Ward 

Barkhuizen

Defensive midfielder 

Striker

I know that's one more going out than coming in but I'd leave that space open to give room for academy players or to sign someone young to develop in what the places currently occupied by a loanee. 

Room for academy players? Wash your mouth out with soap and water, young man!

23 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Washington

Bradley

Collins

Ward 

Barkhuizen

Defensive midfielder 

Striker

As long as academy players are under 21, then they won't need to be registered. You'd only be keeping a spot open for a new (over 21) signing.

I think 5 or 6 signigns in the January may be a bit excessive. I would say a few of your target positions should be looking at in the summer instead. Assuming a version of 433.

CB - Cashin isn't going to be replaced, whilst Nelson or Phillips are good enough partners for him. Bradley would be an adequate backup for Cashin (knowing Cashin will be available for the majority of games) and provide us with a backup option for a rare game when playing 3 at the back. In the summer, we'll probably want a new starting RCB and backup LCB

LB - Elder and Forsyth are steady enough. A new starter in the summer

I'd target only 3 in January - DM, W, CF
Based on the squad usage so far, Ward, Barkhuizen and Washington would top my list of outs.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In a 25 man squad, you don't want more than 5 wingers. If we're to add one, then that means choosing up to 4 of our current wingers to stay. Jackson and Mendez-Laing are our first picks at the moment. That means 2 from Barkhuizen, Blackett-Taylor, Harness and Chirewa. For me, I would keep Blacket-Taylor (contracted for another season and the most likely to score), and Harness (provides an option at AM). There's 3 months for that to change though.

Chirewa is an AM who can play right wing yet spent a fair amount of time on the left at Sunderland...

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As long as academy players are under 21, then they won't need to be registered. You'd only be keeping a spot open for a new (over 21) signing.

Does that apply to all signings under 21? What I'm more meaning with the academy comment is more in terms of just reducing the overall squad size slightly to allow for either the academy players to get minutes or for us to bring someone in who's going to develop.

58 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think 5 or 6 signigns in the January may be a bit excessive. I would say a few of your target positions should be looking at in the summer instead. Assuming a version of 433.

Oh I completely agree. It'd be too many all at once, it's more those are the areas I'd be considering. Given what the market is like in January and our financial position I'd want to go into with a degree of flexibility in terms of positions to target rather than rigidly going after positions. For example if the choice is between a striker who's just going to make numbers up versus an improvement at left back it might be worth taking the latter.

CB - Cashin isn't going to be replaced, whilst Nelson or Phillips are good enough partners for him. Bradley would be an adequate backup for Cashin (knowing Cashin will be available for the majority of games) and provide us with a backup option for a rare game when playing 3 at the back. In the summer, we'll probably want a new starting RCB and backup LCB

My view at centre back is a bit different in no small part because I don't feel comfortable Bradley having more than the absolute bare minimum minutes at this level. Nelson is doing well but we can thinking about improving on him and Phillips isn't our player. We also really could do with a faster centre back with how we play. Especially if we can find someone who's young and content being an understudy for a little while. It'd not be my top priority but it's something that I think we should be thinking about.

LB - Elder and Forsyth are steady enough. A new starter in the summer

Pretty much agree with this that be more a position to have an eye of if an opportunity presents itself. 

I'd target only 3 in January - DM, W, CF

That'd be my focus as well, and in that order roughly. 

And Harness is better than Chirewa so my original point still stands

Doesn't negate my point either. Harness is "the finished product" at 28. Chirewa is very much work in progress at age 20. PW saw something in the lad, so do I. He will be restricted to 15 to 30 minute cameos this year. He may, or may not, develop into a starter rather than a finisher. Maybe he's destined to be a finisher his whole career. Time will tell.

9 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Doesn't negate my point either. Harness is "the finished product" at 28. Chirewa is very much work in progress at age 20. PW saw something in the lad, so do I. He will be restricted to 15 to 30 minute cameos this year. He may, or may not, develop into a starter rather than a finisher. Maybe he's destined to be a finisher his whole career. Time will tell.

I think you can make the argument though that we'd be better of cancelling his loan and either bringing someone in who's genuinely competing for a starting place or someone around his age brought in permanently that we develop for ourselves. 

I think you need more from loanees than bit part cameos. 

Now with that said by January he may have started to show more. 

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

Rather see Browne get more game time than Chirewa, seeing too many mistakes and lack of strength so far to warrant any game time, once Ozoh and Thompson are fit I'd not expect to see him in the match day squad tbh

I don't think you'd be doing Brown any favours by playing him in midfield. Chirewa was good when he came on against Norwich. At Sunderland, he made one mistake, 40 yards from the goal. Mistakes there, with defenders behind, don't often result in goals and only one team has Bellingham junior.

I'm not in favour of binning any player after two starts, particularly when we did well to get him from Wolves.

On 21/09/2024 at 20:36, Ghost of Clough said:

Near the top, but he's behind Mac1, Rosenior, and Ted Magner. I'm not counting Lowe or Hutchings who managed us for 1 game and won.

Where is he on managers who have say a minimum of 30 plus games in charge .. I.e. one season including the odd cup game ?

I wonder also what happens if you merge Steve Macs 2 spells ?