Paul Warne

Day

4 hours ago, Jayram said:

I guess this is where the fault line is between fans like yourself who are pragmatic about the style of football we play and fans like me and the poster you are responding to. Personally I hate the way we play; I think it’s industrial and boring. Football is meant to be a form of entertainment but for someone like me who has a 230 round trip each home game it’s really hard to motivate myself to make the effort this season, even though I’m a ST holder. I don’t feel any connection with any professional footballer regardless of whether they’re ‘honest pros’ or not; they live a life totally divorced from the rest of us so that’s not a thing for me, never has been. I’m genuinely pleased that we are picking up results but the style in which we’re doing it is not for me. 

I'm pragmatic when it comes to winning for sure.  Considering how important it is to remain in the league this season, to give us a chance to get a couple more Kenzo's through the door to develop, I don't really care how those wins come about.  As I asked Nuts, what kind of style would you prefer we play?  What would entertain you?

If you're unable to make an emotional connection to our players, manager, or style you may want to consider what other folk have suggested and find another way to spend your Saturday afternoons.  That isn't pop at you, but I find it odd how someone would make that kind of commitment every other week to watch something they don't enjoy, played by people they don't care about...

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

Football is a sport and is about getting results for me.

If I want to be guaranteed entertainment,  I'll go and watch a band I like or pop to the pictures.

I'm actually a Warne fan (mostly, for the time being!) but this is another instance of how differently people can view things.

If you asked me how I'd finish the sentence, "Football is a sport..." then the first thing I would think about is the joy and fun and satisfaction of the game.

OK, if you say, "Football is a competitive sport..." then I appreciate and know the satisfaction of competing and fighting as a team and winning. I can feel that as a competitor and also as a supporter: certainly seen it and enjoyed in the Rams' performances under Warne last season and this. 

But "getting the result" is a pretty thin approximation of all the above for me. I don't always get much vicarious satisfaction out of just seeing Derby 1, Someone Else 0.

Now, if you said "Football is a professional sport where the professionals are judged above all by results, and so it is all about getting the result" then I would agree, but I would also say that you've missed all the reasons why I love football.

🐏 

3 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Sort of agree but winning is everything to me. If you don’t pop the ball into the net, you don’t win. What’s the point of playing attractive, entertaining football if you’re always losing

Dunno, have you tried Ian Evatt.🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Ah, the eternal argument between style and results.

I think ultimately for me, results are the bread and butter, then the style is the filling. People can argue about whether ham and cheese is best, or egg mayo, but that's a matter of taste.

I think you have to take into account where we are in our 'lifecycle' right now. We can't really afford to be picky as it is. It's all well and good wanting the Wiltshire cured ham with multi-seeded bread from the top tier, but we don't have the cash, have to be pragmatic and settle for the normal wafer thin ham.

Damn. I've made myself hungry now. Did I take the sandwich analogy too far?

Not at all. Look if your stuck with warburtons white sliced and supermarket ham, it’s ok ! Just as long as you’ve got a bit of Kenzo’s mustard and Jackson’s pickle from the back of the cupboard 🤪

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I think ultimately for me, results are the bread and butter, then the style is the filling. People can argue about whether ham and cheese is best, or egg mayo, but that's a matter of taste.

I think you have to take into account where we are in our 'lifecycle' right now. We can't really afford to be picky as it is. It's all well and good wanting the Wiltshire cured ham with multi-seeded bread from the top tier, but we don't have the cash, have to be pragmatic and settle for the normal wafer thin ham.

Got yourself in a bit of a pickle there fella! 

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

You wrote this just before lunch didn't you? 😆

4 hours ago, bcnram said:

Why wouldn’t anyone want to see as much of the beauty of football from their team as possible. 

I'd imagine we all want that, no?

But wanting that, whilst accepting what we have, is a million miles away from:

a/  Hating the way we play.
b/  Struggling to motivate oneself to make the effort to drive 115 miles each way for a game.
c/  Feeling no connection (and never have done) with any professional footballer regardless of whether they’re ‘honest pros’ or not.

To suggest @ossieram's response was "pretty ridiculous" is erm... well... pretty ridiculous, imo.

I utterly agree with his comment... and those of others... that suggest perhaps @Jayram might consider a wee break, away from The Rams, at least until such time as he can (hopefully) rekindle the connection, and revitalise his motivation to begin attending again.

Perhaps a totally different hobby/pastime is indeed the way to go.

@Jayram's current mood appears... in this instance at least... to be worryingly unhealthy, and I wish him all the best.  

All you can ask in Derbys position is for slow but continual improvement and I don't think you can disagree we have it. 

Back up a division, we won't win every game, but we've got an actual team spirit and resolve, and have added players capable of getting you off your seat.

Of course we need more to progress but unlike Rotherham it won't be a firesale every summer, and we will continue to evolve. On all evidence so far I'd be looking at giving Warne another couple of years and expecting a certain amount ot improvement each one before we get to any stage of setting top 6 or else goals.

I can really relate to @Jayram.

I have never booed the team, and felt that being Warne out was pointless given how invested DC is in him.

That meant that for the longest time last season I felt like someone sat on the outside looking in on a promotion season that achieved some pretty impressive stats.

What has changed for me is the commitment this season to genuinely progressive exciting football. Honestly I didn’t think we’d see it under Warne. I was wrong.

And I don’t expect the approach to be utilised 100% all the time. There’s a world of difference between saying to Cardiff, ‘go on break us down’ with 15 minutes to go and s***housing Fleetwood Town for 90 minutes. I’m down with the former but struggled with the latter.

So for me, stick in there @Jayram, you’re one performance or match away (hopefully) from feeling differently and you won’t know until you know. We’re all Derby right? Keep the faith.

Nor seen the whole 90 minutes of the two away games but the three home games have been great, moments of real skill, top defending and goalkeeping coupled with a fantastic team spirit and work rate.

The new players seem to have gelled quickly and give the impression they are enjoying life in Derbados.

The fans have been brilliant as well.

Following an emotional rollercoaster of a promotion season i'm more than happy with the way we are playing so far. 

To further enhance one's enjoyment of the matchday experience I strongly suggest we all take time out to learn the words to the ABBA song about Jacob Zetterstrom currently being touted on twatterX. I believe we will be giving this large as the season progresses.

Its early days but he looks like a Poom in the making.