Steve Wright dead at just 69

This one has really hit me hard. Celebrity deaths don't do that normally.

I've been trying to figure out why.

I think it's because he has just been a constant presence all my life , chatting away in the background in the kitchen. I was just listening to his show Sunday morning. Who knew he was almost 70? He still sounded like he was 30.

Whatever misery was going on in the world his shows always brought a smile. I remember hanging out with my mates on the school playing field, all of us trying to copy his Mr Angry character back in the 80s.

I guess his voice takes me back to those childhood times of footy in the park and back home for tea at 5pm on the dot or there would be hell to pay.

His death reminds me of the parents I have lost and those incredible childhood friendships  I'll never have again.

Rest well Steve.

10 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

This one has really hit me hard. Celebrity deaths don't do that normally.

I've been trying to figure out why.

I think it's because he has just been a constant presence all my life , chatting away in the background in the kitchen. I was just listening to his show Sunday morning. Who knew he was almost 70? He still sounded like he was 30.

Whatever misery was going on in the world his shows always brought a smile. I remember hanging out with my mates on the school playing field, all of us trying to copy his Mr Angry character back in the 80s.

I guess his voice takes me back to those childhood times of footy in the park and back home for tea at 5pm on the dot or there would be hell to pay.

His death reminds me of the parents I have lost and those incredible childhood friendships  I'll never have again.

Rest well Steve.

Hence the song 'Panic' by the Smiths - Wright played some syrupy Wham song right after a news flash about Chernobyl.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Hence the song 'Panic' by the Smiths - Wright played some syrupy Wham song right after a news flash about Chernobyl.

Maybe not 100% accurate if Wiki is to believed:

A story circulated as the basis for the song holds that Marr and Morrissey were listening to BBC Radio 1 when a news report announced the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. Straight afterwards, BBC disc jockey Steve Wright played the song "I'm Your Man" by pop duo Wham![6] "I remember actually saying, 'What the f*** has this got to do with people's lives?'" Marr recalled. "We hear about Chernobyl, then, seconds later, we're expected to jump around to 'I'm Your Man'". While Marr subsequently stated that the account was exaggerated, he commented that it was a likely influence on Morrissey's lyrics.[2] The band later commissioned a T-shirt featuring Wright's portrait and the phrase "Hang the DJ!"[7]

"The anecdote might well be true," writes Tony Fletcher in A Light That Never Goes Out, his biography of the Smiths, but he states that "I'm Your Man" had been off the UK pop charts for several months by the time of the Chernobyl disaster and that "Morrissey hardly needed further provocation to attack Wright, whose highly ranked afternoon show treated all popular music as secondary to his madcap party format". (The antagonism was apparently mutual; former Smiths manager Scott Piering says that at a 1985 meeting, Wright and his producer both made clear that they disliked the band's music.)[8] Moreover, the song itself makes no mention of the radio