Where do you think we'll finish this season?

17 hours ago, Kernow said:

Through this site? For what it's worth, I also have Pompey finishing 3rd with 92 points but missing out on goal difference.

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/

I'm a big fan of Que sera, sera myself, and not so much for predictions... but this is starting to get pretty exciting!  🤪

Just one round at a time will do for me...
Shock draw for Burton at Pompey, and an Oxford win at Bolton.

Wins for us and Barnsley... and a Posh win over Stevenage tomorrow.
that leaves it looking like this after tomorrow night...

Pompey  78
Derby  75
Posh  71 with a game in hand
Bolton  71
Barnsley  70 with a game in hand
Oxford  63
Stevenage  61 with a game in hand

... and a potential top spot at the weekend... but that's far too far in the future for me!

🐏

21 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Starting to believe we can get autos now. Portsmouth have the hardest run in. And if it goes down to the wire, on the last day we are home to Carlisle, Barnsley host Northampton, Posh play Bolton and Pompey travel to Lincoln. 

Yep, if we are in a good position wanting a point come the last game of the season you would want to play a team already relegated. No disrespect to Paul Simpson's team but I do think they will be long relegated prior to this match.

7 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Yep, if we are in a good position wanting a point come the last game of the season you would want to play a team already relegated. No disrespect to Paul Simpson's team but I do think they will be long relegated prior to this match.

Exactly this plus I guess Simmo wouldn’t be gutted to see us go up. 

Just got to hope that they don’t sack him before the end of the season.

22 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Below is the form table for the last 10 league games. We just need to match, or better those returns and we'll be away and gone.

Keep the faith!

image.thumb.png.ce27c839a9c381a004d0bf2bae6eda7c.png

The top two in this form table have done really well and as good as they have done, I can't see them keeping it up. Pompey have gone 11 matches since their last defeat, a 3-0 home defeat against Orient. But in that time 5 of their wins have been by the odd goal and out of them 11 fixtures, 7 were against teams in the bottom half of the table. They have only played 4 teams from the top half, drawing 2 and winning one by the odd goal, the other was a thumping of Northampton. They have 5 teams to play in the top half of the table in their remaining 8 games and all 5 teams are in with a chance of promotion.  Lincoln's 12 match unbeaten run looks a little better than Pompey's, but only 7 wins (stand out 5-1 at Barnsley) and 5 draws, but only played 4 teams from the top half of the table (drawing 3 of them).

It really is squeaky bum time.  This is quite a big weekend.  If we win it’s a great result, draw and it’s a good result.  Portsmouth v Peterborough is interesting. Both on a good run but Portsmouth have had the easier games.  I think the winner of that will then continue their run.  Personally, I’d be happy with a Portsmouth win.  Let’s open a gap between us and 3rd and ease the pressure.

2 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

It really is squeaky bum time.  This is quite a big weekend.  If we win it’s a great result, draw and it’s a good result.  Portsmouth v Peterborough is interesting. Both on a good run but Portsmouth have had the easier games.  I think the winner of that will then continue their run.  Personally, I’d be happy with a Portsmouth win.  Let’s open a gap between us and 3rd and ease the pressure.

Inclined to agree about wanting Pompey beating Posh. I've got very little interest in battling for the top spot, just want us up automatically. 

Posh have a centre mid missing through suspension which gives Pompey a chance. If that wasn't the case I'd have had Posh for the win 100%. 

That said, Pompey have the tougher fixtures on paper so if they did lose and we won, then it really would be a 5 horse race for the two spots. 

27 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Inclined to agree about wanting Pompey beating Posh. I've got very little interest in battling for the top spot, just want us up automatically. 

Posh have a centre mid missing through suspension which gives Pompey a chance. If that wasn't the case I'd have had Posh for the win 100%. 

That said, Pompey have the tougher fixtures on paper so if they did lose and we won, then it really would be a 5 horse race for the two spots. 

Champions or runners up it makes no difference, promotion is promotion.

31 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

It’s a tough call. Is it better to keep Pompey in the fight (but at the same time strengthen Posh’s chances) thus making it a 5 horse race for two places or, would it be preferable to let Pompey go and make it 3 (or 4) for the remaining place?

Luckily, it’s not as if it’s a decision we need to make or if we can influence results elsewhere. Whilst tomorrow’s results are important they won’t be decisive. Nobody will be either nailed on for promotion or ruled out regardless of how it looks at 5pm tomorrow.

I just looked at the Bolton forum and in their Derby match thread "worthy4England" had posted an interesting analysis of last year's run-in. Basically, with 8 games to go last season, the teams that got over the line really picked up the pace and averaged 2.5ppg from hereon. Of last year's top 6, only Barnsley didn't average >2ppg for the final 8. The last line is interesting that more than one defeat from hereon is likely fatal. Last year it was a sprint to the line. I don't see why it would be different this time around.

I think there's some interest in looking at how many points the last 6 accumulated in the final 8 games, last season.

Plymouth on 80 after 38 = 21
Sheff on 79 after 38 = 17
Ipswich on 78 after 38 = 20
Barnsley on 75 after 38 = 11
Bolton on 74 after 38 = 17
Peterborough on 63 after 38 = 17

Plymouth are on the same tally as the team who won it last season
P2 is 4 points lower
P3 is 4 points lower
P4 is 1-4 points lower (depending on game in hand)
P5 is 3 points lower
P6 is 2 points lower

It suggest that whilst the teams below Plymouth might be a bit adrift, we still might have to accumulate 17-21 points out of 24. There's not a lot of perms that do this (possible I've missed a couple).

17 = 5W, 2D, 1L
18 = 5W, 3D or 6W, 2L
19 = 6W, 1D, 1L
20 = 6W, 2D
21 = 7W, 1L
22 = 7W, 1D
23 = Not possible
24 = 8W

There probably aren't too many losses left in the games with a route to automatics. 1 would be bad, 2 might be fatal.

2 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Football web pages prediction update after today's results

image.thumb.png.7d8d61f252a0ec1cf92cc54d2b6ab47e.png

Don’t see how Lincoln can be stopped at the moment, surprised they aren’t predicted to be 6th. I’d hate to face them in the play-offs, let’s hope after today we’ve taken a big step towards avoiding that.

Derby need 4 wins, Pompey probably 3.

Bolton, Posh and Barnsley will drop more points. 89-90 points will be enough.

We’ll easily get it, looking at our remaining fixtures. We can probably afford to lose to Pompey, Wycombe and even Blackpool and we’ll still be fine.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Derby need 4 wins, Pompey probably 3.

Bolton, Posh and Barnsley will drop more points. 89-90 points will be enough.

We’ll easily get it, looking at our remaining fixtures. We can probably afford to lose to Pompey, Wycombe and even Blackpool and we’ll still be fine.

I still recall your 'we won't lose another game this season' post and I can't recall a single prediction you've ever made coming true, bar the season you had Citeh winning the title. With that in mind, I'll ignore this latest waffle, but thanks for your valuable insight all the same. Great to see you enjoying the lads doing well though pal 🥱