We cannot get promotion playing Kids

Gringo

In the infamous words of the Liverpool legend that was Alan Hansen " you cannot win anything with kids", he was wrong when talking about Man united, but I believe his comment is correct when talking about the current Rams Team. Looking at last nights game our goal scorers were Barks aged 30, Collins aged 33, and Hourihane aged 30. In fact our top 5 scorers this season include those 3 plus Waggy aged 33 and NML aged 31.  The latest great new young sensation JJ flattered to deceive and is absolutely not an answer to lowering the average age of our goal scorers ( he may however win a prize for falling over dramatically), and I can see no youngsters in the squad who come close to the abilities of our OAP mainline scorers. I have been a quiet critic of Warne's managerial style, but I now accept and believe we need experienced journeymen to achieve promotion, we definitely will not get promotion playing kids.

It's always about a blend.

Our midfield absolutely didn't work, and still doesn't really, when we played Hourihane and Smith. Age is relative to athleticism, NML for example, is still quicker and more athletic than a lot of younger players you'll come across. Got to find the blend for the opposition - our old, slow players got battered against Posh's young, athletic, quick players.

So, overall, your post and assessment of TJJ is about as wrong as old Alan's was.

1 minute ago, Gringo said:

In the infamous words of the Liverpool legend that was Alan Hansen " you cannot win anything with kids", he was wrong when talking about Man united, but I believe his comment is correct when talking about the current Rams Team. Looking at last nights game our goal scorers were Barks aged 30, Collins aged 33, and Hourihane aged 30. In fact our top 5 scorers this season include those 3 plus Waggy aged 33 and NML aged 31.  The latest great new young sensation JJ flattered to deceive and is absolutely not an answer to lowering the average age of our goal scorers ( he may however win a prize for falling over dramatically), and I can see no youngsters in the squad who come close to the abilities of our OAP mainline scorers. I have been a quiet critic of Warne's managerial style, but I now accept and believe we need experienced journeymen to achieve promotion, we definitely will not get promotion playing kids.

"we definitely will not get promotion playing kids." We'll never find out because Warne favours experienced players, even from his loan signings. Thompson, Rooney and Brown are the only players aged 21 or younger to feature this league season and been on the pitch for a total of only 467 minutes (limited by injuries)

I'm also not surprised our top scorers are all 30+. John-Jules and DBrown are the only forwards (CFs or wingers) who are under 30 (Wilson is a wing back playing out of position). The two of them have played 300 minutes combined in the league.

Perhaps the answer is actually signing younger attack minded players. A confirmed target is 26 year old Blackett-Taylor so it doesn't quite fit your OAP narrative. 

16 hours ago, Gringo said:

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make considering we have one of the oldest squads in the division.  

It's also good to see Rams fans fondness for writing off signings after the briefest of glimpses is alive and well 🙄

18 hours ago, Srg said:

It's always about a blend.

Our midfield absolutely didn't work, and still doesn't really, when we played Hourihane and Smith. Age is relative to athleticism, NML for example, is still quicker and more athletic than a lot of younger players you'll come across. Got to find the blend for the opposition - our old, slow players got battered against Posh's young, athletic, quick players.

So, overall, your post and assessment of TJJ is about as wrong as old Alan's was.

Id say his assessment on TJJ is pretty spot on.

Credit where credit is due for winning the header in the lead up to the first goal on Tuesday but other than that he was anonymous and the only other times you see him he is slipping over or being bullied by the opponents.

Might work in our favour him being off everyone's radar while he builds up match fitness ready for the run in.

If the guy was a Derby graduate rather than being from Arsenal though I think he'd be getting treated much more harshly.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Credit where credit is due for winning the header in the lead up to the first goal on Tuesday but other than that he was anonymous and the only other times you see him he is slipping over or being bullied by the opponents.

Might work in our favour him being off everyone's radar while he builds up match fitness ready for the run in.

If the guy was a Derby graduate rather than being from Arsenal though I think he'd be getting treated much more harshly.

He was wanting the ball to feet so many times, moving into pockets of space. We refused the pass and went sideways. It happened constantly. You could see how wound up by it he was getting. There's definitely a player there though, he has one of the better first touches and other than Sibley, he's probably the only player we have who can shift it and get a shot off.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can agree with the second paragraph, not the assessment being right though. He hasn't even started more than a few games, so to write any player off that early in their Derby career  is not right imo.

He is going into the last 6 months of his contract, on the back of quite a few injuries and if gets another injury again, may jeopardise any form of renewal. That will be on his mind, along with still being nowhere near to being full fitness, personally I have seen glimpses of a player, but then I thought Sibley would be our next Hughes, but I would give him time before writing him off.

The criticism of TJJ reminds me of that levelled at Morgan Whittaker……that turned out to be well founded!

From what I’ve seen TJJ is a proper striker BUT needs balls to his feet in and around the area, not something our current style of play encourages. 

Re his performance v Burton I thought he did far more than ‘just’ the flick on for ML but we did not get the ball to him on the floor. 

19 hours ago, Gringo said:

The latest great new young sensation JJ flattered to deceive and is absolutely not an answer to lowering the average age of our goal scorers ( he may however win a prize for falling over dramatically)

Why are you using 'flattered' in the past tense? This is how many minutes he's played since coming back from injury, while probably still not playing to his full physical capacity given his history. Still plenty of time and definitely more to come from him. His first touch and instinctive finishing are what's stood out to me so far. 

image.png.5933f1586af2954ccd4bf4106c7e081a.png

56 minutes ago, Srg said:

He was wanting the ball to feet so many times, moving into pockets of space. We refused the pass and went sideways. It happened constantly. You could see how wound up by it he was getting. There's definitely a player there though, he has one of the better first touches and other than Sibley, he's probably the only player we have who can shift it and get a shot off.

I agree with this.  Definitely rusty so I understand the doubts but there is a player in there and he has shown glimpses of being a top finisher. He’s had 2 starts in nearly 15 months so understandable that he is not firing on all cylinders.  It’s just whether we can afford the time to build him back up to get the best out of him.  If we strengthen the forward line he may have to settle with being an impact sub / back up striker this season.  I do however think Warne sees him as part of his future plans - he needs to stay fit and earn a contract with us for next season after his Arsenal deal comes to an end.  He seems to like it here

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Let's not forget that he isn't a No 10, he's a main striker or wide forward.  Until he has a good run of games in those positions we shouldn't be writing off just yet.  The one change I was hoping Warne would make the other night was swapping him and NML.  The praise he got at Ipswich shows he's capable at this level when fully fit.

22 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Why are you using 'flattered' in the past tense? This is how many minutes he's played since coming back from injury, while probably still not playing to his full physical capacity given his history. Still plenty of time and definitely more to come from him. His first touch and instinctive finishing are what's stood out to me so far. 

image.png.5933f1586af2954ccd4bf4106c7e081a.png

There's nobody in our squad that would've been able to turn and shoot the way he did against Oxford.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If he has signed from a lower league team, then he'd get treated more harshly. If he'd been a Derby graduate, we'd be pushing for him to play *more* minutes while touting him as a potential foil for Bellingham for England in a couple of years 😉

22 hours ago, Gringo said:

Aye good to see we’ve written off another young player with potential after a few appearances. Good stuff. 

Cashin, Wilson, Bird all play no role in our excellent run? 

4 hours ago, Srg said:

Every time he gets the ball he nearly always ends up on the floor having either slipped over or bullied by the defenders. 

I think he may be a good striker in time, given a run of games and getting up to speed but I think people that are saying they can see it already are basing it on what they are hoping for rather than what they are seeing.