Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

Just now, Stripperg-ram said:

Someone help me out here

every game 

we play ok and some not bad stuff for first half 

normally scare the bejeezus out of the opposition full backs with pace and power

pepper them with endless crosses roughly 30% of which amount to something 

then we switch off between minutes 55 and 75

then pepper them some more 

most of the time it comes off

sometimes it doesn’t 

is that pretty much ‘warne ball’? Every game the same pattern of play?

rinse wash repeat 

is that the game plan? 

I think what happens is that in the second half the opposition managers often make some adjustments to counter whatever we are doing and Warne and the players are frequently too slow to react.

In the second half today Warne had his pants pulled down tactically by a guy who has only been a manager for five days, he was just lucky he had better players on the pitch to bail him out.

We would all love to dominate this league and stroll to the title, but the sad truth is that we are a strong League One team, in a battle with other strong League One teams. Any win is always a good win, as when you're playing anyone outside of the top 6, it is only the wins that matter. And at least the players know that as it was end to end at 2-2.

Tonight was poor from the players, the manager and the referee. I would say at least five players looked under par:

Vickers, Elder, Barkhuizen, John-Jules, Bird

Wildsmith really needs to be in for the next game. If it's the only way to get Sibley in the team, he's 10x a better left back than Elder. At the moment John-Jules has been better as an impact sub, though twice he did put NML through. Barks scored but only did one other good thing in the game. Bird was wholly ineffective throughout.

With our midfield nonexistent, it was baffling Warne let it slide for half an hour longer than he should. And I feel for Dajaune Brown. Burton brought on a young striker sub and he immediately seized his moment. Despite all his hard work in the U21s, Brown never has the chance to have a moment.

I do hope and expect there'll be changes for Saturday. But we did win and, when the chips were down we came through, despite the setbacks. There is desire and belief among some of these players. Let's hope it gets up over the line. I could not bear another season of this. But 10 wins out of 12 games does auger well (if that's what it is now?).

3 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I think the whole street heard my yell when the third goal went in....

Good first half, crap most of the second. When Burton equalised, I thought it was all over, didn't see a comeback.  

Cracking header from Collo, cool finish from Hourihane, and Barks had one of his good games.

That Hugill boy has an oddly long neck, like a giraffe.

Earlier subs would have been nice, Thompson's energy helped but why wait until 80+ minutes? - I can't have been the only one shouting at the telly for a change off the bench. 

They have to make heavy weather of it but a win's a win! 

Very similar to my thinking 😊

45 minutes ago, Somersall Ram said:

Max Bird gives another masterclass as a passenger. He has one good game followed by 6 or 7 awful performances. 

Again playing in a 2 with someone who can't run versus a 3 man midfield again, who being on fresh legs when we don't, again. Broke up 5 or 6 attacks and barely a misplaced pass. Won more headers than he lost and only a booking worthy challenge stopped him surging through 3 or 4 players to create a 3 on 2.

Apart from that, passenger.     

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

We would all love to dominate this league and stroll to the title, but the sad truth is that we are a strong League One team, in a battle with other strong League One teams. Any win is always a good win, as when you're playing anyone outside of the top 6, it is only the wins that matter. And at least the players know that as it was end to end at 2-2.

Tonight was poor from the players, the manager and the referee. I would say at least five players looked under par:

Vickers, Elder, Barkhuizen, John-Jules, Bird

Wildsmith really needs to be in for the next game. If it's the only way to get Sibley in the team, he's 10x a better left back than Elder. At the moment John-Jules has been better as an impact sub, though twice he did put NML through. Barks scored but only did one other good thing in the game. Bird was wholly ineffective throughout.

With our midfield nonexistent, it was baffling Warne let it slide for half an hour longer than he should. And I feel for Dajaune Brown. Burton brought on a young striker sub and he immediately seized his moment. Despite all his hard work in the U21s, Brown never has the chance to have a moment.

I do hope and expect there'll be changes for Saturday. But we did win and, when the chips were down we came through, despite the setbacks. There is desire and belief among some of these players. Let's hope it gets up over the line. I could not bear another season of this. But 10 wins out of 12 games does auger well (if that's what it is now?).

Thought Barks did well, SKY MOTM 😊

42 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Elder worries me. Not purely because of things like the slip tonight, you can say that's maybe a little unlucky. But for ages, he was out of our squad with no seeming injury. You don't sign a player from a Championship side just to have him not even make your squad. It feels like Warne doesn't particularly rate him, I imagine that can impact some players' confidence if they know the manager isn't a fan.

Hopefully Forsyth is back sooner rather than later, because right now we don't really have anyone else. I doubt we'll bring in another left back given budget constraints, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me to see someone in on loan in that area.

He was out of the team earlier in the season through injury and the because Forsyth had played so well. He is playing because Forsyth is injured. There is a player in there according to the Hull fans who were sad when he left.

51 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Response to the moronic posters who say on here Hourihane brings nothing to the team. Warne's verdict is a bit different

...yet those posters will bemoan his automated  contract extension when/if it happens and use it as an excuse for Warne not having the team he wants.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Again playing in a 2 with someone who can't run versus a 3 man midfield again, who being on fresh legs when we don't, again. Broke up 5 or 6 attacks and barely a misplaced pass. Won more headers than he lost and only a booking worthy challenge stopped him surging through 3 or 4 players to create a 3 on 2.

Apart from that, passenger.     

I thought our midfield in general was pretty non existent, didn’t think him or hourihane had good games.