Love the darts.......can I interest anyone...

Chester40

Always enjoyed the darts. Guilty pleasure that is pretty mainstream now.

Luke Littler   ...wow. Just off the scale impressive.

Could be the next Phil Taylor, as he has that almost smug  and knowing way about him. Just believes he's the best.

Deliberately engineered 170 outshots, signalling to the crowd,  going double double top...all with a wide grin on his face. Nerves of steel.

Doesn't look 16... or act it. Him and MVG in a match up would be perfect.

john travolta nba GIF

I actually love watching the darts, but oddly seldom do. I mostly watch to see the crowds if I'm honest. Organised bedlam is how I'd describe it. A load of our lot are planning to go this year, mainly driven, I might add, by the ladies in our group, not the guys. The last time we did something similar was a weekend in Manchester for the World's Strongest Man comp, which was hilarious* and great fun. 

*The weekend was hilarious, not the competitors. They weren't funny at all. I seem to remember them doing reps lifting up a car at one point, so not the type of chaps you want seeing you laughing at them! 

I like playing darts, or at least I did until I reached the limit of my abilities and realised I was still s***, worse still the frustration of it seems to play into me being ever s******.  i was racking up the 180s a few years ago (I've got the keyrings to prove it 😆) , not that being able to hit 180s makes you a good player, fat chance of me hitting one now.

I own about 70 different sets, because they're a bit of a design marvel and its fun to throw different barrels.

I don't have much interest in actually watching it though, don't really get much chance anyway as I don't have Sky Sports, and the idea of attending an event and being surrounded by a crowd of that level of twattery, coupled with the lack of any decent beverages, makes it a no-no. Still chanting irrelevant s*** about about Kolo and Yaya Toure in 2023/24? Really?

Besides I think the players are just too good nowadays. It used to be a rare and special thing for someone to hit a 9 darter now they seem ten a penny. A player being out-of-this-world good at 16 years old... not gonna lie I'm bloody jealous. Naturally gifted people piss me off lol.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Witnessed one of the best sporting moments for awhile. It's a joy to watch someone so naturally gifted at a sport. When it looks effortless and they could just play like that all night. Ronnie O'Sullivan with a snooker cue comes to mind.

Staggered. He made Rob Cross look like a chump and Cross averaged over 100 himself. He'll win this whole tournament.

Just now, SSD said:

Witnessed one of the best sporting moments for awhile. It's a joy to watch someone so naturally gifted at a sport. When it looks effortless and they could just play like that all night. Ronnie O'Sullivan with a snooker cue comes to mind.

Staggered. He made Rob Cross look like a chump and Cross averaged over 100 himself. He'll win this whole tournament.

Shame his girlfriend is creepy af.

Do the top four play in the Premier League as Scott Williams will be a whipping boy. It was just a freak result when he beat an out of sorts MVG.

Littler v Humphries means the best two in this tournament are in the final.

13 hours ago, rammieib said:

Do the top four play in the Premier League as Scott Williams will be a whipping boy. It was just a freak result when he beat an out of sorts MVG.

Littler v Humphries means the best two in this tournament are in the final.

I think it’s the top 4 in the world rankings that automatically qualify for the premier league not the top 4 in the world championships. They also have a certain amount of picks undoubtably Littler will be one of them 

32 minutes ago, David said:

Watching out of pure curiosity.

Why has darts been taken over by football fans singing Yaya and Kolo Toure’s names?

Cos it sounds good and adds to the atmosphere.

37 minutes ago, David said:

Don’t see football songs sung at the tennis, and that could really do with some help lifting the atmosphere 

Because the only reason to really go to the darts is a piss up and a sing song, not like you can see a lot. 

Great final. Humphries deserved winner, think he was beating anyone with that performance. Littler will certainly be back, he only really wobbled in that final leg when he could’ve checked it out to go a set longer. 

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Because the only reason to really go to the darts is a piss up and a sing song, not like you can see a lot. 

Understand, yet at least make the songs relevant to the people playing or even the sport itself. Yaya and Kolo Toure? Bit weird.

Yeah, Humphries was immense - better averages and the number of legs he started with a maximum was insane. Never looked like any leg was going to end up with them needing to split the 11 to win :-).