Derby vs Wycombe Wanderers

B4’s Sister

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

On another medium she was slated for her performance by most fans. Three didn't agree, saying she had a good game. Two other refs and yours truly. Her refereeing was much better than the standard of play displayed by either side.

I've seen lots of complaints about the ref, but I thought she was okay. If you don't want yellow cards, don't lunge into tackles or obviously grab your opponents shirt when they're counter-attacking or get into a stupid, grabby argument. Our players fell for the traps Wycombe set and it created a scrappy stop-start game which was annoying to watch but that's hardly Rebecca Welch's fault. I'm sure she's ref'd Derby before and was excellent. (just checked, Cheltenham at home in Feb, we got one yellow, won 2-0 and no complaints, funnily enough)

You've given a fair assessment, she got most decisions correct - she probably gave yellows for the letter-of-the-law decisions because she's reffing in the Prem shortly.

13 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

As an entertainment spectacle it was a bit of a shocker. The official stats quote two shots on target for us and one for them in 90 minutes - a thrill a minute half hour between attempts on target. If we'd held on for all 3 points then probably recollections of that non event of a game would probably be a little less harsh but the background murmur factor was very high for long periods and reflected the lack of skill and entertainment on show.

I'm still baffled at the amount of times that we get the ball at the edge of the area and go out wide with it. We almost never seem to just have a dip. With a team defending deep the keeper can be unsighted or there may be a deflection and at the very least, stinging the keepers hands lifts the crowd but every time we went wide and knocked a cross in it was dealt with pretty comfortably by their fairly large defence.

The goal was out of nothing really and seemed to surprise everyone but the rest was utterly forgettable.

The goal came from the exact scenario that you're decrying . We won the ball back from a desperate clearance after a spell of pressure, a few yards outside their area. JJ shaped to shoot but instead fed NML on the right. He took on the FB, crossed hard and low, keeper pushed the ball out and Barkhuizen picked up the rebound.

I didn't count the shots we had blocked yesterday, but there was a few. I think when teams crowd the penalty area, going wide is a natural alternative. As another poster has pointed out, our problem yesterday was that although some dangerous crosses went in, on too many occasions no-one was gambling because we lack players with that talent/instinct.

26 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

As an entertainment spectacle it was a bit of a shocker. The official stats quote two shots on target for us and one for them in 90 minutes - a thrill a minute half hour between attempts on target. If we'd held on for all 3 points then probably recollections of that non event of a game would probably be a little less harsh but the background murmur factor was very high for long periods and reflected the lack of skill and entertainment on show.

I'm still baffled at the amount of times that we get the ball at the edge of the area and go out wide with it. We almost never seem to just have a dip. With a team defending deep the keeper can be unsighted or there may be a deflection and at the very least, stinging the keepers hands lifts the crowd but every time we went wide and knocked a cross in it was dealt with pretty comfortably by their fairly large defence.

The goal was out of nothing really and seemed to surprise everyone but the rest was utterly forgettable.

Our tactics would make sense if we had players in the box who can win headers.

Collins is often our only option and he’s usually amongst several defenders.

We have to get more players in the box and utilise the cutback more on the ground where we can get shots in.

We play like we’re Wimbledon circa 1988 but without the big guys. 

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Our tactics would make sense if we had players in the box who can win headers.

Collins is often our only option and he’s usually amongst several defenders.

Which is what the manager pointed out. As post from @Crewton Wycombe did a job on us, it's easy after the game has finished to point out where we went wrong, a bit more difficult during a game to find the solution to it.

Personally I think it's a bit naive to just look at the tactics as the reason every time we drop point's.

I have managed for years (no where near the level we watch and don't pretend to be any good!) and there has often been times when I have set up team to stop the opponents doing what they are good at. Only recently we needed something in a game against the runaway leaders, they had smashed everyone in the league and needed a win to take the title 3 games before season end. We spent the week focusing on the opposition play rather than our strengths, we sacrificed our best player to do a man marking job on theirs, we crowded the centre of the park, we surrendered possession, we played a higher line to condense the play, all of this was to stop them and was ugly. Their manager tried everything, on paper it was an easy win for them, yet we restricted them to 2 shots and almost won it on the breakaway.

Football would be boring if everyone played the same way, plus there is always two teams that apply tactics, imo of course 😏

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The goal came from the exact scenario that you're decrying . We won the ball back from a desperate clearance after a spell of pressure, a few yards outside their area. JJ shaped to shoot but instead fed NML on the right. He took on the FB, crossed hard and low, keeper pushed the ball out and Barkhuizen picked up the rebound.

I didn't count the shots we had blocked yesterday, but there was a few. I think when teams crowd the penalty area, going wide is a natural alternative. As another poster has pointed out, our problem yesterday was that although some dangerous crosses went in, on too many occasions no-one was gambling because we lack players with that talent/instinct.

Eventually you will inevitably create a chance or two however predictable your are as players tire or whatever. It was hardly creating anything in the way of chances. It just felt very predictable to me and I thought they looked comfortable against it.

23 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Eventually you will inevitably create a chance or two however predictable your are as players tire or whatever. It was hardly creating anything in the way of chances. It just felt very predictable to me and I thought they looked comfortable against it.

Sometimes the opposition defend well and you have to acknowledge that whilst recognising that we weren't able to create enough clear-cut chances. Even when we occasionally tried to cut in or play our way into the penalty area, Wycombe had enough players in the box to close down any openings. I witnessed this enough under McClaren to recognise that sometimes the opposition succeeds in snuff out every avenue. At least we managed to score - I can think of a few games under SMc where we couldn't even manage that.

We started to get results when NML was given the ball in wide areas, prior to that we focussed on giving Wilson the ball, who was having a poor game on both flanks and Ward was unable to offer anything other than crosses from (good ones, but not likely to produce a goal given what's already been said about Collins being the only one up there) because he couldn't / can't get past his man on the outside.

For most of the match the the only time we gave it to NML, who continues to be our most effective player and main threat, it was central and with his back to goal.

Yes the opposition did things to stop us playing but we could have effected a change earlier to facilitate our most in-form player.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

I don't think the whole day was particularly great for me.

The South Stand checks for a start. I know they have to adhere to FA regulations for a while, hence why it had more security than Guantanamo Bay. It was ridiculously over the top. I know the club did a pre video to let you know changes were happening. I wasn't expecting to be checked three times to get to my standing position and get sandwiched in on a stairwell. The club have made the stand much safer by putting in the rails, to stop people falling over each other, yet we have to block stairwells due to all the silly checks. God forbid if there was a fire, no way would you get out quickly. Surely it was more dangerous before? Absolutely bonkers. Hopefully this will be done by Christmas or more people will get annoyed.

The match itself. Typical dirty away team. All the dark arts, made more difficult by the silly yellow cards we picked up in the first half. I know the ref didn't have a good game, we made her make more decisions by putting in stupid tackles, knowing full well Wycombe were making a meal of it. Terrible game management in midfield, in particular from Hourihane. Lovely bloke but he will not be missed next season. Wants to sit in and pretend he's Pirlo, spreading Hollywood passes. Get more involved in the game.

Wycombe doubled up out wide and sussed us out very quickly. Not enough play through the middle, shock horror. However, we could have easily lost the match too. A point was fair. 5 wins in a row previously, difficult to keep it up. A draw is disappointing but we're still in a good place to push up the league. Get a good result vs Lincoln then this will be forgotten about. Not too concerned, we was due a bit of a stinker.

4 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

Their 1 was the penalty. Ours were the goal and, I presume, Cash's header. We might have a third as well, the one where Wilson went into the 6 yard box and the ball came off his thigh and was punted away by a defender about a yard off the line.

17 registered shots between us and just the 3 or 4 on target. Sums the game up.

2 hours ago, SSD said:

I don't think the whole day was particularly great for me.

The South Stand checks for a start. I know they have to adhere to FA regulations for a while, hence why it had more security than Guantanamo Bay. It was ridiculously over the top. I know the club did a pre video to let you know changes were happening. I wasn't expecting to be checked three times to get to my standing position and get sandwiched in on a stairwell. The club have made the stand much safer by putting in the rails, to stop people falling over each other, yet we have to block stairwells due to all the silly checks. God forbid if there was a fire, no way would you get out quickly. Surely it was more dangerous before? Absolutely bonkers. Hopefully this will be done by Christmas or more people will get annoyed.

The match itself. Typical dirty away team. All the dark arts, made more difficult by the silly yellow cards we picked up in the first half. I know the ref didn't have a good game, we made her make more decisions by putting in stupid tackles, knowing full well Wycombe were making a meal of it. Terrible game management in midfield, in particular from Hourihane. Lovely bloke but he will not be missed next season. Wants to sit in and pretend he's Pirlo, spreading Hollywood passes. Get more involved in the game.

Wycombe doubled up out wide and sussed us out very quickly. Not enough play through the middle, shock horror. However, we could have easily lost the match too. A point was fair. 5 wins in a row previously, difficult to keep it up. A draw is disappointing but we're still in a good place to push up the league. Get a good result vs Lincoln then this will be forgotten about. Not too concerned, we was due a bit of a stinker.

1. If there was a fire, do you think the stewards would be blocking the stairwell checking tickets?

2. The ref had a good game. Hourihane and NML both had poor touches and lunged after the ball, missed it and took their player down. Both spot on yellows all day. Bird was beaten by his man and pulled him back to prevent him launching an attack. Yellow. Leahy went down under a nothing challenge from Sibs, IMO he was trying to get Sibs a 2nd yellow and therefore, red. Collo thought the same and pulled him to his feet. I presume Collo also told Leahy what he thought of his cheating. That got Leahy riled and there was handbags. In the lead up to that incident there had been some tasty tackles going in. She probably carded them as a warning to everybody to calm down. Sibs was stupid for his. The whistle had gone and his half hearted "shot" was totally unnecessary. We all know it's one of the things refs were told to clamp down on in the summer. She followed instructions and later carded Vokes for a similar occurrence. Consistency is what we've asked for and we got it. Was she perfect? No. However, she had a far better game than either team.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Their 1 was the penalty. Ours were the goal and, I presume, Cash's header. We might have a third as well, the one where Wilson went into the 6 yard box and the ball came off his thigh and was punted away by a defender about a yard off the line.

17 registered shots between us and just the 3 or 4 on target. Sums the game up.

sums up our attack

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

1. If there was a fire, do you think the stewards would be blocking the stairwell checking tickets?

2. The ref had a good game. Hourihane and NML both had poor touches and lunged after the ball, missed it and took their player down. Both spot on yellows all day. Bird was beaten by his man and pulled him back to prevent him launching an attack. Yellow. Leahy went down under a nothing challenge from Sibs, IMO he was trying to get Sibs a 2nd yellow and therefore, red. Collo thought the same and pulled him to his feet. I presume Collo also told Leahy what he thought of his cheating. That got Leahy riled and there was handbags. In the lead up to that incident there had been some tasty tackles going in. She probably carded them as a warning to everybody to calm down. Sibs was stupid for his. The whistle had gone and his half hearted "shot" was totally unnecessary. We all know it's one of the things refs were told to clamp down on in the summer. She followed instructions and later carded Vokes for a similar occurrence. Consistency is what we've asked for and we got it. Was she perfect? No. However, she had a far better game than either team.

i dont think the ref made bad decisions by the laws of the game,for me it was the refs lack of authority that allowed ww to play to their strengths with the dark arts. shirt pulling and pushing in both goal mouths,every tackle their players went down as if they were shot,every free kick or throw in they gained ground,every chance they got they stopped play for as long as they could,they ignored direct commands,and the ref was complicit in allowing it to happen

I'd love to see the video footage that Wycombe fans have seen that makes them so convinced that their player was definitely tripped for the penalty. It must be different from any footage that I've seen which is all from behind Ward so that you can't see any contact.

Maybe one of them had a telescope?

On 16/12/2023 at 16:37, Caerphilly Ram said:

In what sense? Maybe a couple of things evident. But one of the most consistent complaints about Warne is his inability/unwillingness to try and change things during the game, he’s made the subs fairly early, he’s changed the formation, he’s doing something to try and win the game isn’t he? 

Yes you’re right …it is my problem because as soon as we start struggling to beat crap teams like Wycombe I start seeing us getting more and more desperate rather than having the nous and intelligence to outplay crap hoof merchants like WW

i will openly admit even if we won 7/8/9 or 10 in a row I don’t see PW as the answer long term …I want to see a team that will pass and move and develop integrating youngsters inti the side  a side that will hit the ground running in the championship like Ipswich have …so apologies but when I see us struggling to break down a very average crap team like WW as I’m totally guilty of seeing PW for what he is …

saying all that he did complain about all of the things that were wrong after the game and was spot on with his analysis …but that’s not to say we won’t see more disappointing performances because that seems to have become just how it is I’m afraid 

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'd love to see the video footage that Wycombe fans have seen that makes them so convinced that their player was definitely tripped for the penalty. It must be different from any footage that I've seen which is all from behind Ward so that you can't see any contact.

Maybe one of them had a telescope?

It's from their car park CCTV.