January Reinforcements

sage

18 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Disappointing but some of the reactions are, as usual, a little OTT.
Even with all our massive constraints and limitations, and DC’s desire to run the club sustainably (something some fans don’t really want to see because it means we have to live within  our means and not fritter money away) it’s still a little surprising there’s not a soul out there who could come in and do a job. But hey ho. Maybe we just don’t have the cash or pulling power. I’m not going to start slagging the club off over it. We got to spitting of autos with what what we have. Going to be tricky to do the next step without that extra striker, but who knows. Not the end of the world. 

Our constraints and restrictions rally aren't all that massive though, we're only competing with other League One clubs who similarly have to make sacrifices to get what they want.

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Nothing to be concerned about mate. It's good news.

Pompey, Bolton and Peterborough have all breached FFP and will be deducted points? There's now 4 automatic spots in League 1? The EFL have realised they made errors with our charges in the past and will refund us some points? McClaren is returning?

Spill the beans!

9 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Again though. Just because it came out from the Sheffield Wednesday end. Not our end. They would not have been the only strikers we looked at

But the fact we even looked at Lee Gregory should give you an idea how little money we have.

I get this but surely you have to look at our transfer activity as a whole? We didn't start the summer with no money - it seems like we spent quite a bit. We didn't even start this transfer window with no money. And throughout we've had at least some assets we could have sold to generate £££ if things were so tight. 

If we really left ourselves in a position where the only option to fill a long-gaping hole was a failed bit for Lee Gregory, surely that suggests our recruitment strategy hasn't been great? 

Edited by vonwright

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Pompey, Bolton and Peterborough have all breached FFP and will be deducted points? There's now 4 automatic spots in League 1? The EFL have realised they made errors with our charges in the past and will refund us some points? McClaren is returning?

Spill the beans!

If they decided to promote four teams automatically we'd probably finish 5th on goal difference.

2 minutes ago, BPV said:

I don’t think it’s entitled for the fans to want a striker in, a position that everyone, including the manager had highlighted as a priority.

Plenty of clubs in this league with less money than us signed a striker. We needed bodies in as we literally have no fit backups. 
This month was purely and simply a failure 

How much money do we have to spend?

And why was it reported last week that we couldnt make permanent signings without selling someone first?

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Name names then as obviously you have more of an insider knowledge then the average fan - who are "all involved" 

It doesn’t take a genius to know who is involved with recruitment. The head of recruitment, Mark Thomas, is where the blame should squarely lie. Seems to be stealing a living at the moment, how on earth could he not identify a single striker who could improve our paper thin frontline? Sackable offence imo.

Then obviously there’s Warne involved in there somewhere, and those higher up at the club (Clowes / Pearce). The level of that involvement is unknown. But I certainly don’t think they helped themselves with comments about how important signing a striker was, before failing to back that up.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

How much money do we have to spend?

And why was it reported last week that we couldnt make permanent signings without selling someone first?

But we did sell someone, and that deal presumably wasn't cooked up in an hour earlier today.

If we had to sell to buy then fair enough, but we only did the selling part.

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think it was pretty obvious from the way the CBT deal was concluded and structured, things are not straightforward and transfer activity would be scarce.

Hopefully the summer will bring more productive times.

Judging by the summer just gone and the fact it was spouted we blew all our budget on to think probably only 3 of the 13 signings have been a success I don’t have a lot of faith in the recruitment team, warne or Pearce to have a productive one with over 10 players out of contract 

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Personally, I am not surprised. The closer you get to the deadline, the more desperate it all becomes and you have to wonder if it’s worth the trouble.

It’s much better to regroup and plan for the summer. Now we can lay some groundwork and hopefully the summer business will be more joined up and measured.

The only misstep we’ve made in my eyes is banking on John Jules staying fit. That’s the regrettable thing when it was clear just how much a gamble it was.

There is still plenty to be intrigued about. CBT and Adams are interesting signings who promise a lot. We just have to hope Collins stays fit and Waghorn and Washington are getting closer to fitness.

Money is obviously under wraps until the restrictions are lifted and I struggle to see what we can do when selling clubs hold all the cards. We don’t have the financial flexibility currently of teams like Bolton, Portsmouth, Charlton and Blackpool.

That's the spirit!

One more go at recruiting for a back 3.

Warne works hard, the recruitment team all pull together. DC smashes open his post office piggy bank and we finally reveal....

Phil jagielka, Matt Clarke and the ghost of Bobby Moore......

Roll on those long summer days.....😉

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It doesn’t take a genius to know who is involved with recruitment. The head of recruitment, Mark Thomas, is where the blame should squarely lie. Seems to be stealing a living at the moment, how on earth could he not identify a single striker who could improve our paper thin frontline? Sackable offence imo.

Then obviously there’s Warne involved in there somewhere, and those higher up at the club (Clowes / Pearce). The level of that involvement is unknown. But I certainly don’t think they helped themselves with comments about how important signing a striker was, before failing to back that up.

I think it's clear Thomas' focus has been on the summer IMO - 'just sign an experienced striker to see us over the line this season and we'll go from there.'

Unfortunately, that approach seems to have backfired tremendously.

Edited by Scott129

7 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

He’s great for saving us but doesn’t mean we can’t question some of the decisions he makes. 
the keeping on of Stephen Pearce for one. Coming out backing the manager and then stating he will be backed in January and has failed to deliver. In an interview saying we have a near top 2 budget yet lately it looks more like a mid table league 1 budget. 

We signed CBT and Adams, aswell as extending the loan of TJJ, is that not backing the manager?

5 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

He’s great for saving us but doesn’t mean we can’t question some of the decisions he makes. 
the keeping on of Stephen Pearce for one. Coming out backing the manager and then stating he will be backed in January and has failed to deliver. In an interview saying we have a near top 2 budget yet lately it looks more like a mid table league 1 budget. 

I understand the disappointment everyone is feeling, and am sorry to be a pedant here, but Clowes didn’t say we had a top 2 budget. He said we have a very good budget, one that he “thinks” is good enough for promotion (which could still happen remember).

In fact the exact quote is;

"Paul has been given a budget, I think a good budget for League One that is good enough to get us out of the league. But it's football and nothing is guaranteed."

The effective use of that budget will be an ongoing conversation until, and probably beyond, the season’s end.

Quote taken from here;

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65959914.amp

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

But we did sell someone, and that deal presumably wasn't cooked up in an hour earlier today.

If we had to sell to buy then fair enough, but we only did the selling part.

Without knowing what happened with the Bird transfer its impossible for us to comment.

Warne seemed pretty confident of keeping Bird.

1 minute ago, Scott129 said:

I think it's clear Thomas' focus has been on the summer IMO - 'just sign an experienced striker to see us over the line this season and we'll go from there.'

Unfortunately, that approach seems to have backfired tremendously.

He’s had 6 months to prepare for this window and the best he could come up with was Micheal Smith and Lee Gregory? Absolute fraud. 99% of members on here could have come up with those suggestions.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I understand the disappointment everyone is feeling, and am sorry to be a pedant here, but Clowes didn’t say we had a top 2 budget. He said we have a very good budget, one that he “thinks” is good enough for promotion (which could still happen remember).

In fact the exact quote is;

"Paul has been given a budget, I think a good budget for League One that is good enough to get us out of the league. But it's football and nothing is guaranteed."

The effective use of that budget will be an ongoing conversation until, and probably beyond, the season’s end.

Quote taken from here;

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65959914.amp

Unfortunately as we see increasingly on this forum, people hear what they want to hear, rather than what is actually said.