January Reinforcements

sage

I’d be amazed if we managed to sign anyone. I think we’ve put all our eggs in the Smith basket and missed out on other players. What worries me massively is we obviously have a very tight budget so signings are key, we sign players like Washington and TJJ who are injury prone so for the most part are unable to make an impact, we stumble on signings like Waggy and Nyambe, let’s face it had Smith, Wilson and Ward stayed fit we wouldn’t have signed him. In our position it is key we sign players who can stay fit and are able to contribute. We can’t carry anyone. We’ve done well up until Fozzy and Nyambe were unavailable. We are coping without Waggy, Washington, Smith, TJJ who are injured and Fornah, Ward and Elder who have struggle for minutes when fit. That is 7 players whose wages could have been put to better use. I’d rather have 3 players who are available 9 times out of 10 than 7 bit part players. If we’re being honest our recruitment just hasn’t been a good fit for our purpose. 

We are 1 injury (Collo) short of the wheels coming off and struggling to make play offs when at the start of Jan we were looking at a top 2 finish. 

It’s just very very poor in my eyes and shows lack of a plan. All teams must budget and have a plan for Jan and what they will need depending on how the season is going. Is on the other hand will either sign someone as a last resort, a player who isn’t match fit or someone that no one else wants. 

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Beginning to think we are not going to be getting any more signings this window, really don’t think we have enough funds available for the type of player/players we need , really hope I’m wrong and Warney gets what he wants

Yes that's the crux of it. We do want to bring in quality, but within strict budget constraints (on the cheap). If we had the financial clout, the deals would probably have happened by now. Not a complaint, just an observation.  

3 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I’d be amazed if we managed to sign anyone. I think we’ve put all our eggs in the Smith basket and missed out on other players. What worries me massively is we obviously have a very tight budget so signings are key, we sign players like Washington and TJJ who are injury prone so for the most part are unable to make an impact, we stumble on signings like Waggy and Nyambe, let’s face it had Smith, Wilson and Ward stayed fit we wouldn’t have signed him. In our position it is key we sign players who can stay fit and are able to contribute. We can’t carry anyone. We’ve done well up until Fozzy and Nyambe were unavailable. We are coping without Waggy, Washington, Smith, TJJ who are injured and Fornah, Ward and Elder who have struggle for minutes when fit. That is 7 players whose wages could have been put to better use. I’d rather have 3 players who are available 9 times out of 10 than 7 bit part players. If we’re being honest our recruitment just hasn’t been a good fit for our purpose. 

We are 1 injury (Collo) short of the wheels coming off and struggling to make play offs when at the start of Jan we were looking at a top 2 finish. 

It’s just very very poor in my eyes and shows lack of a plan. All teams must budget and have a plan for Jan and what they will need depending on how the season is going. Is on the other hand will either sign someone as a last resort, a player who isn’t match fit or someone that no one else wants. 

Exactly this ….you can blame EFL and all kinds of different reasons but we are fans …if we have no money then put more effort into finding hidden gems and why sign players with history of injuries …Alfie May for one seems fit and plays regularly why didn’t we get him ?

There has to be a plan before the season started and a contingency plan and plan to the contingency plan but we always loook like we’re scraping the barrel at the end of the window 

24 minutes ago, Rev said:

Christ, you think we're losing £7m+ per year?

I'm not doubting you, by the way, I'm just stunned that the figure could possibly be that high.

Clowes Developments (the owner of Derby County) recently released their accounts and disclosed some information regarding the club. The headline figure was a £6.8m loss over 9 months (July 1st 2022 to March 31st 2023). 

Screenshot_20240129_214451_Drive.thumb.jpg.3ae0071960a9dbb82f232f15ad395e45.jpg

17 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Could argue that Waghorn, Washington and TJJ were all risky signings, fitness wise. With risks you have to accept the consequences if things go wrong. 

12 minutes ago, europia said:

Could argue that Waghorn, Washington and TJJ were all risky signings, fitness wise. With risks you have to accept the consequences if things go wrong. 

Whilst all transfers are a risk to some extent, we just do not have the budget to assemble a squad unless we take a bigger risk than usual on some players. There's a reason the players we signed came cheap.

Edited by oodledoodle

11 minutes ago, europia said:

And Embleton. And didn’t Warne’ say that Elder’s hernia repair was held over from when he was at Hull?

7 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Whilst all transfers are a risk to some extent, we just do not have the budget to assemble a squad unless we take a bigger risk than usual on some players. There's a reason the players we signed came cheap.

How much do we think Bradley, Ward, Nelson et al are on?

4 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not bothered whether we are linked with anyone or not - it's meaningless. The important thing is whatever is (or isn't) going on within the Club.

Well nothing happening so back to this. Please are you subtly suggesting there is drama going on or have I gone all conspiracy theory in the boredom of no transfer gossip?

8 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

But we will have a bigger budget than at least 20 other teams in this division this season (I think we're top 2). Why do we need to take a bigger risk than them?

2 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Well nothing happening so back to this. Please are you subtly suggesting there is drama going on or have I gone all conspiracy theory in the boredom of no transfer gossip?

I took it to mean “so long as the people involved with pursuing and making signings at the club are attempting to do so then who cares whether it’s reported in the press or not”…. But I could have been mistaken 

6 minutes ago, Topram said:

Pompey buying a reading defender for 75k surely se could go and rinse for them for Knibbs and smith 

McIntyre is out of contractvin the summer and made of glass - he averages about 4 months a season out injured and was already injured for 3 months this season. Whislt Knibbs and Smith would strengthen us, they're contracted for a couple more seasons.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would say the opposite. If we were trying to look him out, would we risk an injury just days before the window closes? He hasn't had much football for months, so this game (several days before our next fixture) is thr perfect time for him to build up some fitness. He also played a couple of weeks ago, alongside Fornah and Sibley.

I would hedge my bets on Fornah being on the way out. Less than 30 minutes of league football since Christmas. Started 1 other game in thr Cup and brought off at half time. Not even named in the first team squad 4 times. The fact he isn't in this U21 game to build up much needed fitness suggests something is up 

For me I think Fornah is very limited and I have no idea what Warne saw in him to give him a permanent contract - when he came on as a late substitute in the Wigan away game he appeared to have a very can’t be bothered  attitude and completely didn’t mark his man or challenge for the ball at all leaving Forsyth being overloaded and giving Wigan easy opportunities to put the ball in the box which could have cost us the win. Three days later we played at OXFORD and Fornah was put through a long period running and chasing individually by a coach two hours before kick off which was very strange and no fitness test which resulted in him not being selected even for the bench that day. I think he has annoyed Warne to the point of wanting rid of him - just an opinion but maybe he is not a warne Good egg 

1 hour ago, CapeTownRams said:

To me it’s just an obvious opportunity to keep him match fit and to play some football seeing as he’s not been involved lately. 🤷

It could be anything couldn’t it! My message was tongue in cheek