January Reinforcements

sage

CBT doesn't need to 'replace' anyone, football is now a team game consisting of 15 outfield players playing over around 100 minutes. Ideally, we could do with one front line starting and another front line on the bench, ready to come on against a tiring defence. This already seems to be in Warne's plans as our subs have scored more goals than any other lg1 team this season, CBT will only improve these 15 players.

1 hour ago, JohnoDCFC said:

Apart from the Peterborough wingers who would cost millions for any club, I would say CBT is definitely one of the best wingers in the league. A mate of mine is a season ticket holder at Tranmere so went to a few games with him and you could tell CBT had talent but wasn’t the finished article. Stats wise he is having a quality season and I think he’s the kind of player Warne will get the best out of. Look how NML has been since the first few games and Barkhuzien has really hit form recently. 

What I’ve noticed recently in games is how we’ve been decent on the counter attack. For example, Birds run for the Barkhuzien goal against Fleetwood. Another goal on the counter is Barkhuzien’s goal against Leyton Orient. Apart from heading and kicking this league is very much counter attacking and he’s perfect for that. A very very good signing.

I think that if you were to come up with a top 5 list of League One wingers, CBT and NML are certainly in there.

The other three probably all play for Peterborough.

Edited by Scott129

CBT is a seriously impressive signing for you lot, and as if the rest of L1 needed any reminder, just shows how ridiculous it is that you're in this division.
Operating within a business plan and still able to drop a chunky fee way beyond the majority of clubs*.

Personally see the top 2 being 2 of yourselves, Bolton and Posh now. You're absolutely motoring, full of confidence and more importantly there seems to be some genuine belief in the fan base once again - that Burton moment could be talked about for years to come.
Posh by far and away the best side we've played and Bolton just seem to keep adding to a decent squad already with games in hand. Not convinced by Pompey and I think fan pressure may play a big part down there.

If you could either go up in the top 2, or collapse entirely, it would be greatly appreciated. Living in Derby, I get married the week after the play-off final to a Derby supporter from an entire family and extended family of Derby supporters. So a 2legged play-off semi, or even worse, the final against you, would not be the emotional situation required in the approach to the wedding 🤣

*We've gone out today and spent an extremely chunky fee given our history, one that has caught a lot of fans by surprise with the initial interest and reports. We'll have to see how that goes.

3 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

CBT is a seriously impressive signing for you lot, and as if the rest of L1 needed any reminder, just shows how ridiculous it is that you're in this division.
Operating within a business plan and still able to drop a chunky fee way beyond the majority of clubs*.

Personally see the top 2 being 2 of yourselves, Bolton and Posh now. You're absolutely motoring, full of confidence and more importantly there seems to be some genuine belief in the fan base once again - that Burton moment could be talked about for years to come.
Posh by far and away the best side we've played and Bolton just seem to keep adding to a decent squad already with games in hand. Not convinced by Pompey and I think fan pressure may play a big part down there.

If you could either go up in the top 2, or collapse entirely, it would be greatly appreciated. Living in Derby, I get married the week after the play-off final to a Derby supporter from an entire family and extended family of Derby supporters. So a 2legged play-off semi, or even worse, the final against you, would not be the emotional situation required in the approach to the wedding 🤣

*We've gone out today and spent an extremely chunky fee given our history, one that has caught a lot of fans by surprise with the initial interest and reports. We'll have to see how that goes.

It’s the first fee we have paid for around 3 years….and was it that hefty 😊

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It’s the first fee we have paid for around 3 years….and was it that hefty 😊

I know it is, but that is the point I'm making. Even within restrictions and caps relating to the business plan, in comparison to what a lot of the rest of the league can pay, it is a hefty fee (happy to disagree on the definition of hefty haha!) alongside wages - which given Charlton are spending some dollar and have offered him new deals, must be a decent whack as well.

The fact you're in this league is a joke, and I know it is mostly all down to the decisions and dealings of a former owner, but it just really brings it home, how much damage that individuals can cause to football clubs who are the heartbeats of their local communities. Football should be able to be played out by results and performances on the pitch without the potential for owners to negatively impact things so much. Really hope they hurry up with this regulator and that it actually has some impact. The damage caused at so many clubs over the years has happened too many times.

Edited by CaptainOx

18 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

I know it is, but that is the point I'm making. Even within restrictions and caps relating to the business plan, in comparison to what a lot of the rest of the league can pay, it is a hefty fee (happy to disagree on the definition of hefty haha!) alongside wages - which given Charlton are spending some dollar and have offered him new deals, must be a decent whack as well.

The fact you're in this league is a joke, and I know it is mostly all down to the decisions and dealings of a former owner, but it just really brings it home, how much damage that individuals can cause to football clubs who are the heartbeats of their local communities. Football should be able to be played out by results and performances on the pitch without the potential for owners to negatively impact things so much. Really hope they hurry up with this regulator and that it actually has some impact. The damage caused at so many clubs over the years has happened too many times.

EFl always hated Mel after he exposed how crap their TV deal is, they were determined to relegate us even after we won the independent tribunal. We got cheated out of the Prem by multiple FFP cheats but we didn't threaten anyone with court. But that's all in the past now thankfully mostly, once we get out of the business plan we can go back to being a normal club again.

2 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

3 quality wide players in the match day squad, means one comes on 60-65 mins and is a nightmare for defenders. Hope we keep Barks, he is a confidence player and his recent goals will boost him.

That’s my thinking, it’s not about replacing one player, it’s about strengthening the squad overall so we don’t suffer similarly to last seasons burnout.
If this bloke signs he’s not comparable to a Springett or White, he’s a man of 26 who has been playing first team football in this league and league two for a few years, scoring and assisting goals. If no one leaves it gives us 3 proven wide players as you say, plus Wilson and Ward who can do a job there. It also potentially strengthens the central striking options as we could move a Barks or NML to play off Collins and not lose a threat out wide. It’s the sort of strengthening we’ve wanted, isn’t it? 

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

EFl always hated Mel after he exposed how crap their TV deal is, they were determined to relegate us even after we won the independent tribunal. We got cheated out of the Prem by multiple FFP cheats but we didn't threaten anyone with court. But that's all in the past now thankfully mostly, once we get out of the business plan we can go back to being a normal club again.

Oh definitely, it's clear there was an issue against Morris. But he didn't help himself and ultimately the club and fans were the ones to pay the price whilst he skipped off into the distance.

In the long term, in a weird way, it might be the making of your club again. Always expected Warne to be the right man, he knows what is needed to get out of this league, and his recruitment is coming together now, it was always going to take time.
At the level above? Who knows. Rotherham have continued to struggle to survive despite him going, so suggests it wasn't just him lacking in ability for the Championship.

7 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

Oh definitely, it's clear there was an issue against Morris. But he didn't help himself and ultimately the club and fans were the ones to pay the price whilst he skipped off into the distance.

In the long term, in a weird way, it might be the making of your club again. Always expected Warne to be the right man, he knows what is needed to get out of this league, and his recruitment is coming together now, it was always going to take time.
At the level above? Who knows. Rotherham have continued to struggle to survive despite him going, so suggests it wasn't just him lacking in ability for the Championship.

I have my reservations about Warne's style and long term success but he's doing well at the moment, I am not sure if he always struggled to keep Rotherham up more because of the playing style or severely limiting budget. Maybe it was a combination of both. I think you might be right in the making of the club again but not sure Clowes will be the man to invest in it, hasn't really got the funds. Interesting times ahead for sure, big second half of the season for us!