January Reinforcements

sage

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Right about what? I’m not looking to be right about anything.

You’re arguing rather a lot for someone who isn’t looking to be right.

Some more facts: 

- We were told in the summer the EFL restrictions were significantly relaxed. Don’t believe we had details.

- Warne also made it clear in the summer that the owners wanted a large part of transfer receipts applied to cover operating losses    

- there’s been no change in the ownership structure since the summer that I know of so no reason to expect change on approach. Warne told us re Jan he did not expect an ‘amazing window’ which certainly suggests Jan will be like the summer. Seems he’s true to his word so far. 

- the EFL business plan isn’t designed as a punishment. They punish through points deductions etc. The business plan is intended primarily to ensure there’s not a repeat of the insolvency. So if the insolvency is followed by a change of ownership and EFl is comfortable with the new owner, it’s likely that departures from our (relaxed) business plan that are prudently funded will be permitted 

You indicate the club is funded from DC’s ‘personal fortune’. I think that’s a misunderstanding of the current ownership structure and that’s not a good starting point to understand the owner’s likely ambition for capital expenditure. 

You’ve suggested all will change next season when we’re out of restrictions.  If that is your prediction, I don’t think the facts support it. 

This is a matter of real interest to the fans, because we want to know what our chances are of getting out of this division; and we want to know how we might fare in the championship when we do get promotion. I’ve said elsewhere I don’t think DC is the right long term owner for us. That is also a matter of real interest to the fans 

Don’t forget, I have respectfully told you a few times that you might (might) be right. But I don’t think the facts support your position. 

Just ignore it if you don't like it.

Anyone genuinely knowing in advance of a transfer or guessing, sharing it or not sharing it...doesn't make any difference to anything.

When we sign a player and OB's "welcome to Derby" bit appears on the official site, then we'll all know. An hour before that interview a potential signing can be at Moor Farm with a pen in his hand when we get gazumped...so we might as well all just relax.

Oh...and nobody know how much budget we have outside of Mr Clowes and his trusted circle. Speculating and criticising based on speculation is classless.

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. You do remember the last day of the last transfer window though 😉 That was embarrassing don’t you think 😊 We will have to see who is more accurate, BT or Beryl.

Unfortunately I think there are people who still genuinely think he is ITK.

BTs posts are genuinely the first posts I look for on here, I find them entertaining. I love an ITK post. But I'm not stupid. 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Some more facts: 

- We were told in the summer the EFL restrictions were significantly relaxed. Don’t believe we had details.

- Warne also made it clear in the summer that the owners wanted a large part of transfer receipts applied to cover operating losses    

- there’s been no change in the ownership structure since the summer that I know of so no reason to expect change on approach. Warne told us re Jan he did not expect an ‘amazing window’ which certainly suggests Jan will be like the summer. Seems he’s true to his word so far. 

- the EFL business plan isn’t designed as a punishment. They punish through points deductions etc. The business plan is intended primarily to ensure there’s not a repeat of the insolvency. So if the insolvency is followed by a change of ownership and EFl is comfortable with the new owner, it’s likely that departures from our (relaxed) business plan that are prudently funded will be permitted 

You indicate the club is funded from DC’s ‘personal fortune’. I think that’s a misunderstanding of the current ownership structure and that’s not a good starting point to understand the owner’s likely ambition for capital expenditure. 

You’ve suggested all will change next season when we’re out of restrictions.  If that is your prediction, I don’t think the facts support it. 

This is a matter of real interest to the fans, because we want to know what our chances are of getting out of this division; and we want to know how we might fare in the championship when we do get promotion. I’ve said elsewhere I don’t think DC is the right long term owner for us. That is also a matter of real interest to the fans 

Don’t forget, I have respectfully told you a few times that you might (might) be right. But I don’t think the facts support your position. 

You’re genuinely misinterpreting my intent and are assuming/attributing points to me that I haven’t said nor do I believe.

You don’t think Clowes is the right owner based on a small sample size of his ownership, subject to an approved business plan, which I know isn’t a punishment but it will dictate to what extent the club can operate in this moment, you’d rather we find American investment. I’m content to be patient with his ownership, with the January window and with the season overall. That’s all I’m looking to illustrate, an alternative stance to yours. I’ll leave it at that. 

1 minute ago, Topram said:

If we signed CBT, Smith and a Midfielder I think we’d be in a very very strong position 

Agreed, when managers are publicly announcing bids are rejected, its usually a last chance saloon to initiate a bidding war. I think it will be done pretty quickly now but how much it costs us dictates the targets for the other two positions obviously. Warne clearly really wants him and we are crying out for reinforcement on the left side but it can't be to the detriment of bringing in another forward at the very least

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Some more facts: 

Nicely done.  You do not believe that DC is the right long term owner and I think that is also his opinion.  What he wants is reliable and balanced new owners with significant resources and no desire for immediately success.  If only there was a local long term fan who’s could fit the bill🤔😀.

I had a look at EFL rules for Div1 clubs which are typically vague (what is etc?) but god knows how Reading remain compliant.

League One and League Two Clubs follow the Salary Cost Management Protocol (“SCMP”) These state that Clubs can only spend a fixed percentage of its revenue on player wages etc. This limit can also be added to or impacted by equity injections or net transfer spend.

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don't think that is quite right. The business plan is also a way to make sure that clubs don't get an unfair advantage from administration. Imagine a rich new owner takes over a club, buying them out of administration for a low price that pays creditors only 25p in the pound. Not many would think it fair if he then spent £50 million on new players - when he could, if he wanted, have used that £50m to pay creditors more of what they were owed. I think that's a key reason why EFL business plans last longer than a year.

So update ( although not much of one ) is that my Charlton insider mate has said CBT is supposedly carrying a knock but believes from what he’s heard he’s played his last game for CAFC and said he believes it is us that’s the main interested party as hasn’t heard any other clubs mentioned apart from us 

He thinks a figure of 350k would get him not the 500k that has been mentioned but to me that seems a lot for a player out of contract soon 

also another note …Dobson there CM looks like he’s on his way as was taken off yesterday and done a lap around the stadium applauding the fans and is also out of contract soon 

I quite like Dobson and is quite a tough player who gets stuck in I actually wouldn’t mind if we got him as well as CBT 

Charlton fans love Dobson and I’ve always thought he’s a good CM 

37 minutes ago, S8TY said:

So update ( although not much of one ) is that my Charlton insider mate has said CBT is supposedly carrying a knock but believes from what he’s heard he’s played his last game for CAFC and said he believes it is us that’s the main interested party as hasn’t heard any other clubs mentioned apart from us 

He thinks a figure of 350k would get him not the 500k that has been mentioned but to me that seems a lot for a player out of contract soon 

also another note …Dobson there CM looks like he’s on his way as was taken off yesterday and done a lap around the stadium applauding the fans and is also out of contract soon 

I quite like Dobson and is quite a tough player who gets stuck in I actually wouldn’t mind if we got him as well as CBT 

BOGOF ☺️

1 hour ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I don't think that is quite right. The business plan is also a way to make sure that clubs don't get an unfair advantage from administration. Imagine a rich new owner takes over a club, buying them out of administration for a low price that pays creditors only 25p in the pound. Not many would think it fair if he then spent £50 million on new players - when he could, if he wanted, have used that £50m to pay creditors more of what they were owed. I think that's a key reason why EFL business plans last longer than a year.

I see the logic of course. But the extract from the club’s statement below re business plan suggests the EFl uses it primarily to ensure prudence and stability. And the mere fact it can be relaxed supports this 

“We will continue to be under a business plan next season, which will obviously be divisional specific, however it will be one that we propose to the EFL and will be reviewed collectively in order that we can demonstrate that we are not being over-ambitious, which we aren’t being – we will be continuing to build in a progressive and sensible manner.”

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Watched 30 mins of the second half and Dobson knows how to hit a 30 yard pass over the top. Can’t say he looked too menacing as a goal threat though. But wouldn’t sniff at him.

23 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Watched 30 mins of the second half and Dobson knows how to hit a 30 yard pass over the top. Can’t say he looked too menacing as a goal threat though. But wouldn’t sniff at him.

Would you say he would provide better cover than we have when we play 3 at the back