Flooding

ketteringram

51 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Surprised no one has mentioned this on here today? Unless I missed it. 

Anyone on here from Chesterfield/ Sheffield area? Crazy amount of rain today.

It's been reallybad here in Chesterfield today with almost every road across the town under water, closed or impassable. There are plenty of photos/videos online showing the scale of it. My 87 year old mum rang me from Clay Cross at 9am in a panic to tell me water was coming into her garden, by the time I got there 25 mins later the road was under water and waist deep in her house with her trapped upstairs. I managed to get her out with the help of a neighbour and it took me 4 hours to get her to my house in chesterfield. I'm not looking forward to what I'm going to find tomorrow when I can get back there!

13 hours ago, chezzyram said:

It's been reallybad here in Chesterfield today with almost every road across the town under water, closed or impassable. There are plenty of photos/videos online showing the scale of it. My 87 year old mum rang me from Clay Cross at 9am in a panic to tell me water was coming into her garden, by the time I got there 25 mins later the road was under water and waist deep in her house with her trapped upstairs. I managed to get her out with the help of a neighbour and it took me 4 hours to get her to my house in chesterfield. I'm not looking forward to what I'm going to find tomorrow when I can get back there!

My mum and sister live in Glapwell. Mum told me yesterday that it was really bad around there, and that their garden was flooded.

We're "just off Beaufort Street", and on the very edge of the flood plain (just inside the "Middle-of-the-street" boundary line, which affects our home insurance premiums!)  (The houses opposite are slightly higher, and rising).
So basically Darley Park... Chester Green... Racecourse... then us.

I have had about a dozen texts and auto calls this morning from "Floodline" warning of high alerts and "Danger to life".

I don't recall ever seeing the racecourse flooded, in my 60 years of living locally, but I guess now they've put in those flood gate things to protect their precious council house, I should never say never!  

On 20/10/2023 at 20:33, chezzyram said:

hope the damage wasnt to bad. at least ur mum was safe

On 20/10/2023 at 20:33, chezzyram said:

The missus’s sister lives opposite the Birdcage on Derby Road. I reckon the water level came above her letter box. She hasn’t gone home yet. She couldn’t get back on Friday and there is no gas or electricity. I had a drive on to where B&Ms is and Next, Curry’s and Poundland are all devastated. The car park is just full of mud. However I’m not to bothered about the car park because they can put my £50 parking fine towards cleaning it up. 

10 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

hope the damage wasnt to bad. at least ur mum was safe

I've been there yesterday and today, the house had about a metre of water and mud in it, the whole ground floor is completely written off. A lifetime of memories destroyed which is the saddest part. At least she is safe as you say, when you read about the old lady who tragically died in Tapton in similar circumstances it puts things in perspective, if we hadn't managed to get there fairly quickly it could have been so much worse. Her neighbour rang the emergency services to tell them she was alone in the house and they turned up 7 hours later to see if she was OK!

Living in the city centre close to the river, it feels like we get a flood of this proportion every 1 to 2 years now, whereas it used to be a freak one every 30-40 years or so

In the 1930s the town centre flooded when Markeaton Brook overflowed. They then did loads of work to build a diverter tunnel from Markeaton Park down to the Derwent at Darley Park, so now Darley Park/Darley Fields acts as a huge flood plain. 

Then they built huge floodwalls down there to contain the water and stop it flowing into Chester Green and surrounding areas, but each time they do that - it just moves the flooding further down the path of the river.

Suspect it's no coincidence that they just finished the flood works on Bass's Rec and now the Pentagon Island floods for the first time ever...

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Living in the city centre close to the river, it feels like we get a flood of this proportion every 1 to 2 years now, whereas it used to be a freak one every 30-40 years or so

In the 1930s the town centre flooded when Markeaton Brook overflowed. They then did loads of work to build a diverter tunnel from Markeaton Park down to the Derwent at Darley Park, so now Darley Park/Darley Fields acts as a huge flood plain. 

Then they built huge floodwalls down there to contain the water and stop it flowing into Chester Green and surrounding areas, but each time they do that - it just moves the flooding further down the path of the river.

Suspect it's no coincidence that they just finished the flood works on Bass's Rec and now the Pentagon Island floods for the first time ever...

Saw some poor bugger on telly from Chesterfield slamming the council for allowing a load of new builds on a flood plain.  Apparently they increased the ground level to build by 18 feet and the run off has been a major issue.  Don't know how accurate he was.

Going back years gardens were larger, flatter and had grass and hedgerows.  Anything new tends to be on large soak ways areas with the inevitable removal of trees replaced with a lot of tarmac drives at an angle.  You'll be talking millions of litres of excess water with no place to go, running into road gullies that have been half blocked with stones from cheaply repaired road surfaces.

Not a good combo. 

24 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Saw some poor bugger on telly from Chesterfield slamming the council for allowing a load of new builds on a flood plain.  Apparently they increased the ground level to build by 18 feet and the run off has been a major issue.  Don't know how accurate he was....

They've done similar in Willington at the end of the bridge to Repton - loads of new houes all built high-enough up to avoid being flooded themselves, but effectively pushing all the excess water towards all the exisiting houses....

... And when was the last time you saw one of those drain-sucker lorries down your street?
Must have been at least 4 times a year back in the '70's, unless my childhood memories are playing tricks!

Eh?  EH?  

Oh yeah... Also...

Anyone else get bombarded with messages on Saturday morning (from "Floodline") warning of "Danger to life", advising us to "Act Now" and offering links that further advise not to venture out unless absolutely necessary?

Both of us got texts, emails, and calls to mobiles (automated message).
(We're just inside the red flood area, being 1.4km due east of the river at St Mary's Bridge, as the crow flies over the cricket ground).

Nobody has been in touch since, to advise we're now ok to go out again, or indeed out of imminent danger to our very existence... or indeed (v.2) to check we are still alive! 😲
... And yet here we all are reading about thousands of people heading for a football match this evening!

Do you think I should call them, in case they are still worried about us?  👀

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

They've done similar in Willington at the end of the bridge to Repton - loads of new houes all built high-enough up to avoid being flooded themselves, but effectively pushing all the excess water towards all the exisiting houses....

Only slightly related but we flew from Luton at the weekend and didn't realise that the brand new DART train from the Parkway to the Airport wasn't running. We later found out that it was under several feet of water, as the fire service had pumped something like  a million gallons of water onto the car park fire, which then all just ran down the road and flooded the DART station! They have yet to work out how to drain it all away..