Flooding

ketteringram

24 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s also worth noting that dredging river s is a thing of the past 

Almost 30 years ago we were house hunting and went to Willington to look at some new builds off Hall Lane - as we stood outside one of the houses looking down towards the river we were approached by the sales woman and got chatting to her. Being relatively local we were well aware of the issues with flooding in the area so weren't at all serious about buying but I thought I'd ask her about the possibility of floods - "oh, lots of people ask" she said, "in fact people who'd already moved in stand at the end of the road whenever there was heavy rain and watch the river expand" - I suggested that it was quite worrying but she told me not to worry as they would be dredging the river to make sure the houses were safe - it was only when I asked her how often they'd dredge it that she had to urgently rush off back to the show home.....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Almost 30 years ago we were house hunting and went to Willington to look at some new builds off Hall Lane - as we stood outside one of the houses looking down towards the river we were approached by the sales woman and got chatting to her. Being relatively local we were well aware of the issues with flooding in the area so weren't at all serious about buying but I thought I'd ask her about the possibility of floods - "oh, lots of people ask" she said, "in fact people who'd already moved in stand at the end of the road whenever there was heavy rain and watch the river expand" - I suggested that it was quite worrying but she told me not to worry as they would be dredging the river to make sure the houses were safe - it was only when I asked her how often they'd dredge it that she had to urgently rush off back to the show home.....

As part of the new flood defences in the Calder valley, not too far from me, they dredged both the canal and the river. We haven’t really had enough rain to properly test the new defences yet.