Derby v Shrewsbury (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Shrewsbury Town’s Head Groundsman, Dave Saltman

Despite the issues, the stadium pitch is still playing well compared with many in League One and Saltman is pleased with how it has stood up to the elements.

“It’s still playing very well and the drainage is fine on the stadium pitch”, said Dave.

“Apart from losing grass cover, I don’t see there being any big issues with us getting the pitch through the season. We had our mid-season score and we were well above the average. I think the league average is 3.93 out of five and halfway through the season we are on 4.13.

“This pitch has fared better than most in the division. We haven’t got the money that two or three clubs have got, we haven’t got lighting rigs and undersoil heating, we haven’t got a bit grounds team, but make the best of what we’ve got with the resources we’ve got.

“When you look at the pitches in League One and Two and even some in the Championship and a couple in the Premier League, they are really struggling and they are struggling because it’s been a very wet autumn and a very wet winter.”

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Due to the weather and potential state of the pitch, I'm mentally preparing myself for the ball spending a lot of time in the air tomorrow. I couldn't think of many worse conditions to face Shrewsbury away, so it'll be a tough match.

True, I'm sure if the weather was better we'd be rolling it around like Guardiola's Barcelona.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So did you ask your mate how he "knows" given, if true, it's a piece of breaking news not visible anywhere else? 

Sometimes I have conversations without fact checking on the Internet in real time.

It's old fashioned I know.

Just spoke to him, a fellow fan who is/was going tomorrow.

I can only apologise for my lack of forensic rigour.

Edited by sage

3 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

No games appear to have been called off yet.  I expect a few will be tomorrow morning. Would seem a bit premature to call our game off 24 hours ahead unless the pitch is completely under water. Fortunately the ground is not near the Severn like the railway station.

Indeed. The railway station is located in the narrow neck of the river Severn loop whilst the ground has got to be mile from the river. Fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Sometimes I have conversations without fact checking on the Internet in real time.

It's old fashioned I know.

Just spoke to him, a fellow fan who is/was going tomorrow.

I can only apologise for my lack of forensic rigour.

No need to be sarcastic but it strikes me that if a mate says the game is off, the first thing most people would do is ask where they'd heard it. Hardly forensic rigour.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

No need to be sarcastic but it strikes me that if a mate says the game is off, the first thing most people would do is ask where they'd heard it. Hardly forensic rigour.

Why would I? It was part of a bigger conversation.

11 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

No games appear to have been called off yet.  I expect a few will be tomorrow morning. Would seem a bit premature to call our game off 24 hours ahead unless the pitch is completely under water. Fortunately the ground is not near the Severn like the railway station.

If the station, local roads and roads from Derby are closed that may be enough without the pitch condition coming into it.

Just now, sage said:

If the station, local roads and roads from Derby are closed that may be enough without the pitch condition coming into it.

Maybe flooded local roads might be a factor, but the train strikes didn't cause any postponements. Anyway not expecting any news until tomorrow morning.

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Why would I? It was part of a bigger conversation.

Simply because it's pretty big news. Why wouldn't you ask? But, whatever, I was only asking if you knew what the source of his information was. I might have been quite painless for your first response to have been no, I didn't ask him.

6 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Maybe flooded local roads might be a factor, but the train strikes didn't cause any postponements. Anyway not expecting any news until tomorrow morning.

It is forecast to stop raining 9am tomorrow. I guess that will be the first assessment. I'd imagine it would have to be catastrophic to cancel today.

1 minute ago, sage said:

It is forecast to stop raining 9am tomorrow. I guess that will be the first assessment. I'd imagine it would have to be catastrophic to cancel today.

Agreed. According to the met office it looks like heavy rain around 9pm and 10pm tonight but then lighter rain the rest of the night. Just have to hope the heavy rain isn't of biblical proportions.