Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

32 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Hibernating? No, though I wish I had been through the majority of 2009-2013.

We finished 7th by a single point. We are 12th after nine games, not 39.

Appalling? Why do people use such powerful language to describe the performance of a club that were moments from extinction less than 18 months ago and is still clearly going through a recovery period?

What’s appalling is the lack of patience and perspective from some of the fanbase.

I've been watching since 1961 and going away since 1965. I have seen us near to extinction twice. I have seen us become Champions of England twice. I watched all of our European Cup and UEFA Cup away games in the 1970s. I am extremely supportive of David Clowes for saving our club. I don't boo the players or manager at games and I never have done. I have done my journey and so far to date I have watched Derby in c.2500 games. I have seen the highs and the lows and I still come back for more because I love the club. I've nearly completed the claim to be 'Derby 'til I die.'

But I reserve the right as a supporter to say it's good when it's good, it's bad when it's bad and in my opinion the the recent home form has been appalling and not good to watch and I am entitled to express that opinion. I don't do dishonesty.

If you have no appreciation of what Nigel Clough (2009-13) did for this club, I can only say that you would fall into the category of supporters who his father referred to as 'blind idiots' when he managed our club. If you think that what you are watching under Paul Warne at the moment is acceptable, I can assure you that Brian Clough would have called you 'a blind idiot' again.

Having said this, I hope and trust that you enjoy good vision. If not I am sorry and fully sympathetic to your problem.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's the normal bonus going too half the away grounds in this fab league.  I hope all those looking forward too visiting those new exotic locations 12 months ago are looking forward to a 3rd visit. 

Blackpool on Tuesday. That’s quite exotic. Bit like Stoke but with enhanced lighting.

Pail Warne’s observation that when we tried playing through the middle the passes got blocked misses the fact that he had the wrong player in the key position. He put Waghorn in the number 10 role, and the lad looked lost. He should be up front, although he is happy playing out wide. This is quite ripe for another pro-Sibley comment, so here it is. He was sat on the bench yet again. Warne acknowledges that Sibbers is the best finisher at the club, so when we are struggling to score, why put him on the bench? His best position is at number 10, but when he finally gets on, 65 minutes too late, it is stuck out wide, where Waggy prefers to be! What if Warne had played a number 10 in the number 10 role, instead of giving the job to a player whose only link to the role is having a number 10 on his back?

Edited by DavesaRam

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Pail Warne’s observation that when we tried playing through the middle the passes got blocked misses the fact that he had the wrong player in the key position. He put Waghorn in the number 10 role, and the lad looked lost. He should be up front, although he is happy playing out wide. This is quite ripe for another pro-Sibley comment, so here it is. He was sat on the bench yet again. Warne acknowledges that Sibbers is the best finisher at the club, so when we are struggling to score, why put him on the bench? His best position is at number 10, but when he finally gets on, 65 minutes too late, it is stuck out wide, where Waggy prefers to be! What if Warne had played a number 10 in the number 10 role, instead of giving the job to a player whose only link to the role is having a number 10 on his back?

I hear he found him having a crafty fag round the back of the Moor Farm changing rooms.  He's now on his list of not good people and must drink 20 espressos in an hour as contrition to get off the naughty list.  Until then his position will be taken by Waggers or Wash, who is without doubt in the top 20 most pants footballers I've seen pull on a Derby shirt.  He may even push out Fagin in my top 10. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's no surprise from this selection. Yet again, at home in League One, Warne has picked 7 defensive players and 4 attacking players. None of those 4 attackers are very creative or good finishers. We need to have a better balance of attack vs defence on the pitch. Even Warne says Sibley is the best finisher at the club, but then drops him. When Sibbs does play he's almost always out of position on the left wing. And he's also the best set piece taker at the club.

My point is we don't have to bring attacking players in in January. We have to set up better, and play the better goalscorers that we have. In their best positions! Brown also deserves his chance from his U21 performances (and goals!!).

"And he's also the best set piece taker at the club."  😄

7 hours ago, Topram said:

Crossing was pathetic all game, baring the one that Waggy should have buried, if we just even had just 3/4 crosses that were decent we’d of won that game. Bitterly disappointing 

we’d of won that game   OF?

We missed Hourihane today.  Firstly, his set pieces would be better.  Secondly,  whether he's playing well or not, it gives their defence who were quite happy to sit in and head it away, the stick or twist dilemma that not pushing up means he could rocket one in from 15 yards at any point.  That's why Sibley should have played behind Waghorn when the subs were made.  It would have made their centre backs very uncomfortable for 30 mins. 

Really poor game management.  A Sunday league manager would have seen it. 

4 minutes ago, MickD said:

shouldn’t of come off at all  OF?   Have they rewritten the English language in UK schools?

My deal old mum, born in 1935 - an English teacher - gave up on that one before she retired. Usage, she would say, after her epiphany. But she taught Brailsford ram English at John port (Mel morris too) so she has a lot to answer for 

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

My deal old mum, born in 1935 - an English teacher - gave up on that one before she retired. Usage, she would say, after her epiphany. But she taught Brailsford ram English at John port (Mel morris too) so she has a lot to answer for 

I never had a woman English teacher as I've told you before. If she had Mel Morris as a pupil and you as a son, the poor woman led a torrid life.

I had a woman geography teacher called Mrs. Hunt. She had a son called Warwick.

Are you Warwick Hunt?

Edited by Brailsford Ram

2 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

I'm really beginning to doubt myself having read a lot of stuff on social media and here since the game finished. It's a long 3.5 hour trip home from PP, so lots of time to mull it over and discuss with my fellow southern softie Ram I go to games with.

I really much prefer how we played today, and generally how we go about games, to some of the side to side and backwards 'crab football' that has been served up over previous seasons under various other managers. There have been times under past regimes when I've questioned why I travel so far for some the stuff that's been served up week in week out.

I'm not saying we are stroking it around like Man City, and although frustrating not to have converted the many chances today, I feel we are not far off. I remain slightly baffled by a lot of the anti-PW views, and just thought I'd put something mildly positive on here as to how things appear to me.

I can recommend a good psychotherapist for you in Tunbridge Wells. Just pm me if you feel the need 😆.

28 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes ! Geography AND English ! I knew it. She took just one look at your powerful,  compelling prose and knew it had to be you.  

And she called you Warwick Hunt? The woman should be locked up....but then again maybe not. Perhaps she had a point!

6 hours ago, angieram said:

No, because he should have laid it off to Barhuizen instead of keep running with it, then it would have been. 

My left ear is still ringing from my other half yelling at him repeatedly to do exactly that.

It makes you wonder what goes on in footballers' minds at times! 

I'm not sure which part of your post contradicts mine here..... 

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What’s the reality?

We’ve had a less than spectacular start to the season? Results have been mixed? Performances have largely been poor? Who has said this is not the case?

Everyone can see the reality. Some people are missing the fact that it’s a 46 game season. Absolutely nothing has been won or lost and nothing has been decided. Portsmouth are certainly not champions and we are certainly not doomed.

Everyone wants better results, better performances and better players, but we are where we are and this will take time.

2 wins from 13 at home. You've yet to even begin to explain that but of course that would ruin you're theory about Warne needing 'time' when he's already had more than a season

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Well lots of posters are saying it was a much improved performance and we should have won easily. You thought it was so bad you aren't going again until Warne has gone.

I don't your reasons that we "should be top 2, simple as that" but feel these expectations might be driving you dissatisfaction somewhat. 

In fairness were you actually at the match? We looked in control but wouldn't say we deserved to win easily. We basically created nothing at all in the final third. I think a lot of fans are reaching the end of their tether with the crap performances and the showman interview after a lacklustre display. 

1 hour ago, MickD said:

shouldn’t of come off at all  OF?   Have they rewritten the English language in UK schools?

Theirs nah kneed to worry about it. These is just a futball forum and knot an english eggsam. 

Ewe must of had a quiet day if these kind have thing bothers you. Find moor stuff to worry about.