Electric Vehicles

ram59

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It’s bizarre isn’t it. Manufacturers have tried to fix a problem that never existed and made it worse - and unsafe IMO. 

BMW’s idrive system via the wheel controller was widely regarded as the best in the industry and they then decided to do away with it on some models and move everything to the screen, which has been widely panned in the motoring press. It’s the main thing that’s stopping me upgrading my X1 to the newer model. 

Still has the centre wheel and you can use it or touch screen 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Still has the centre wheel and you can use it or touch screen 

Not in the X1, X2 & maybe 2-series

I was looking at them in the showroom the other day while waiting for my MOT

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Not in the X1, X2 & maybe 2-series

I was looking at them in the showroom the other day while waiting for my MOT

Seems a bit daft , I’ve got the new m2 and it’s still got the centre wheel , your right though , certainly don’t want everything touch screen it’s too distracting 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 13/07/2024 at 15:10, GboroRam said:

You do you. 

I'll do me. 

I don't miss £80 a go at the petrol station. I plan ahead when I travel, I have a home charger and it gets me to Southall and back easy enough. Next week I'm going to give Bristol a try. I might need to spend half an hour charging up on the way home, which I'll spend having a KFC and a coffee. 

Save the earth and buy an EV, Sod the battery fed chicken factories and the slave wages to pick the coffee beans 😁

On 18/07/2024 at 18:41, Ram-Alf said:

Save the earth and buy an EV, Sod the battery fed chicken factories and the slave wages to pick the coffee beans 😁

KFC chickens are barn reared, I thought everyone knew that. And I only buy fairtrade coffee. The only slave wages here my friend are for the IT team leaders working in the chicken factories. 

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Actually that makes a lot of sense. BMW are making everything a chargeable extra, so probably indicator stalks are on a monthly subscription. BMW drivers are choosing to not pay, and I don't blame them. 

I was listening to the golf commo and thinking how everything 'has to' move with the times. There's lots of inability to accept change in all sorts of areas it seems. But when focussing on negatives the greater positives are often (deliberately) overlooked.

So we're keen on getting an EV soon, so what is the best bits to 'embrace' and what do you really like about them. 🙂 👍

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we're keen on getting an EV soon, so what is the best bits to 'embrace' and what do you really like about them. 🙂 

👍

Fabulously smooth and quiet. 

Cheap to run/charge, once you get on the right tariff. 

Automatic, so easy to drive. 

No oil, so no oil change every 10k miles. 

Regenerative braking - the car slows down if you let off the accelerator, and returns you battery charge. It makes for easier driving once you get used to it. 

Zero road tax. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

....So we're keen on getting an EV soon, so what is the best bits to 'embrace' and what do you really like about them. 🙂 👍

A couple of really obvious ones:

1. If your partner takes a couple of bottles with you and clinks them together whenever you're out and about, you can pretend you're a milkman....

2. You get to give every non-EV driver a really smug grin as you tootle about doing your bit fot the planet....

Edited by Gaspode

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Fabulously smooth and quiet. 

Cheap to run/charge, once you get on the right tariff. 

Automatic, so easy to drive. 

No oil, so no oil change every 10k miles. 

Regenerative braking - the car slows down if you let off the accelerator, and returns you battery charge. It makes for easier driving once you get used to it. 

Zero road tax. 

Does the brake light come on when you take your foot off the accelerator when in that mode?  Because following an electric car that keeps braking for no reason boils my piss. I’d assumed it was this or just crap drivers.

14 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

A couple of really obvious ones:

1. If your partner takes a couple of bottles with you and clinks them together whenever you're out and about, you can pretend you're a milkman....

2. You get to give every non-EV driver a really smug grin as you tootle about doing your bit fot the planet....

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9527lfysas4kbwgehfu9h9

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Does the brake light come on when you take your foot off the accelerator when in that mode?  Because following an electric car that keeps braking for no reason boils my piss. I’d assumed it was this or just crap drivers.

I imagine so. Hard to say because I'm in the front seat driving, so can't see my lights. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was listening to the golf commo and thinking how everything 'has to' move with the times. There's lots of inability to accept change in all sorts of areas it seems. But when focussing on negatives the greater positives are often (deliberately) overlooked.

So we're keen on getting an EV soon, so what is the best bits to 'embrace' and what do you really like about them. 🙂 👍

Cheap as chips to run if you get an EV tariff. Pay less tax if it’s a company car. No visits to the petrol station. Summer is 25% better than winter.

Ermmm Ermmm apart from that it’s a car.

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think it does. There are some paddles that can increase the regeneration I tend to take mine off but if you have it on full then every time you take your foot off the accelerator the brake light will come on and the car will slow down.

Edited by Gritstone Ram

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I imagine so. Hard to say because I'm in the front seat driving, so can't see my lights. 

Ask the bloke who follows you around with the 3 phase diesel generator! 😂