Why was there a minutes round of applause

ziggazagga

7 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

I really don't understand it, were we supposed to clap because there are 15k dead so far, surely in this country a minutes silence would have been more respectful. Genuinely bemused 

Well seeing pompey fans couldnt even clap for a mi ute without disrespecting it prob correct decision. Assume efl decide? 

I thought that… not exactly something to applaud. That’s usually for when a club legend dies at 90 odd having lived a full life… not when hundreds of kids are being found dead. Very uncomfortable.

I’d like to say that the Portsmouth fans were an absolute disgrace as well. Imagine being willingly that disrespectful to two absolutely horrific events. Shocking, and it was more than just a few of them too.

28 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

I really don't understand it, were we supposed to clap because there are 15k dead so far, surely in this country a minutes silence would have been more respectful. Genuinely bemused 

I think the reason for clapping is that thugs like those from Pompey could never stay silent .But I agree it felt wrong to clap.  

I don't think the Portsmouth fans heard the announcement as they were already singing their heads off.

It didn't happen straight away either as the captains were still tossing up. All a bit of a muddle, really.

Applause is usually chosen over silence to mask the odd bit of noise. 

I really don't know why we acknowledged the two disasters in any form.

Surely that's for us to do as individuals, in our own time, if we so wish.

They both happened on another continent, have nothing to do with a game in the 3rd tier of English football, and I don't imagine the solidarity displayed would even register in either affected area.

In all likelihood, Malaria and malnutrition kill more Africans every single week than these two disasters, yet we don't give them a weekly round of applause. 

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

I really don't know why we acknowledged the two disasters in any form.

Surely that's for us to do as individuals, in our own time, if we so wish.

They both happened on another continent, have nothing to do with a game in the 3rd tier of English football, and I don't imagine the solidarity displayed would even register in either affected area.

In all likelihood, Malaria and malnutrition kill more Africans every single week than these two disasters, yet we don't give them a weekly round of applause. 

Next week we should have a minutes applause to all those Kenyans who bravely allowed themselves to be strapped to British cannons in the 50s and be blown apart.

I went with a Libyan family attending their first football match in England today, the two boys were with their dad and are my mums students. The dad really appreciated that the Red Cross were collecting money for Libya as it surprised him.

They are a nice family but weren't best pleased that the ref was a women and said after the game that women shouldn't ref games after their equaliser.

39 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I went with a Libyan family attending their first football match in England today, the two boys were with their dad and are my mums students. The dad really appreciated that the Red Cross were collecting money for Libya as it surprised him.

They are a nice family but weren't best pleased that the ref was a women and said after the game that women shouldn't ref games after their equaliser.

I never saw no red cross if I had I would put something in.

What happened is tebbile and loss of lives family and friends left heart broken and people chanting and shouting abuse when Cleary says min around clapping show respect to those it has affected.

I wish people would think before doing stuff what if it was a loved one of theres.

13 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Next week we should have a minutes applause to all those Kenyans who bravely allowed themselves to be strapped to British cannons in the 50s and be blown apart.

Not forgetting the mass murder from the Romans after 55BC when we had the temerity to defy their occupation 😉