Three at the back?

IslandExile

3 at the back can and does work, some fans forget the success Jim Smith had and he was an early adapter of it.

3 at the back doesn’t work if all 3 are told to push up and get exposed to any sort of pace. Our back 5 yet alone 3, are struggling to work together, that’s before we get to the lack of creativity from midfield.

2012 called it wants its formation back

it would be less painful if we had legs in the team to get up and down the pitch

he just seems to play system after system that is completely incompatable with the players he has and worse yet SIGNS himself

Edited by alram

Nothing wrong with 352.

Lots wrong with 352 if your the centre backs are painfully slow and you play three holding midfielders. 

I don't think he should ditch the formation yet. The one thing showing promise the wing backs. 

I'd try Rooney, Forsyth and Cashin as the three and start Thompson with Hourihan along side him as attacking midfielders and Bird as the holder. 

Waghorn as the 10, Collins as the 9 and swap the wingbacks at 60 mins. NML as one of the four wingbacks.

36 minutes ago, alram said:

2012 called it wants its formation back

it would be less painful if we had legs in the team to get up and down the pitch

he just seems to play system after system that is completely incompatable with the players he has and worse yet SIGNS himself

Calling out the lack of pace is breaking me!! Sign some then!

In the Jim Smith side the three at the back included Igor Stimac tbf. Who were the others? A typical side from that period would be what?

Hoult

Rowett   Igor   Yates

Carsley                                      Trollope?

Flynn             VDL

Willems

Sturridge     Gabbiadini

Who was the LWB? I'm sure I've missed a couple out.

13 minutes ago, Rampant said:

In the Jim Smith side the three at the back included Igor Stimac tbf. Who were the others? A typical side from that period would be what?

Hoult

Rowett   Igor   Yates

Flynn             VDL

Willems

Sturridge     Gabbiadini

Only Chris Powell, nobody important.

15 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Hoult

Rowett   Igor   Yates

Flynn             VDL

Willems

Sturridge     Gabbiadini

Chris Powell

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

noNoNo.gif.88286acfd75e35eee60c82aae0f43e77.gif

It’s not working with the players we have right now. The problem is glaringly obvious. No outlet from the back through midfield & our so-called wing-backs too deep and not successful thus far in supplying the width.

A good manager can see this & Warney has admitted as much post-game tonight. So, structural overhaul this Saturday v Fleetwood. Waghorn must start & possibly Thompson. Still time to recover but must just must stop supplying passes to opposing strikers to slot home. Football is a simple game made complex by unnecessary dogma & theory. 

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

3 at the back can and does work, some fans forget the success Jim Smith had and he was an early adapter of it.

3 at the back doesn’t work if all 3 are told to push up and get exposed to any sort of pace. Our back 5 yet alone 3, are struggling to work together, that’s before we get to the lack of creativity from midfield.

He did have Igor tbf 

Once upon a time, playing a back five would involve 3 centre halves and wing backs who would take it in turns to go forward so that the defence always had cover (or else the holding midfielder would drop back to fill a wide position when the wing back was charging forward) - Warne's version seems to have both wing-backs permanently stationed in the opposition half and the DM running aropund like a headless chicken - at one point last night, Fozzy was our most advanced player (by a long way) - I don't get what he's trying to achieve...