Is Warne living on borrowed time?

I thought he should’ve gone when we failed to make the playoffs. However, was willing to give him a pre season to sign some players, and see how we started. 

We’re way, way worse than we were before. There is absolutely no excuses now. He’s prioritised defenders that are making mistakes left right and centre, leaving us with nothing to sign attacking players. Playing a system that doesn’t work for any of the players we currently have and is making them look way worse than they collectively are.

It’s not working at all. Enough is enough for me.

6 minutes ago, alram said:

hes created a team that were all alive when the soviet union was around and they play football like we are still in the soviet era.

his style requires physicality and athletism rather than technical skills so he goes and signs a load of old players with hardly any physicality and athletism .

i dont want people to let him hide behind the business plan, there are loads of players out there that fit the profile of player we should have been signing hardly any club in this division pay fees for players

oxford play football & had a player like rodrigues who chose to go there instead of here ........ HMMMMMM I WONDER WHY? footballers arent idiots, we are going nowhere

This. I don’t get it at all. He specifically said he wanted players in the 22-27 age bracket with pace, power and athleticism, goes and signs a load over 30’s? eh? 

I think the transfer window has been abysmal overall, the lack of attacking signings in abundantly obvious to all and sundry 

Just now, Andicis said:

So the profile of players to sign are players with non-league experience in 2 of those cases?

tyler walker

alistair smith

regan poole

harvey knibbs

sam smith

jack whatmough 

do you want some more? it is a complete myth our only market is ageing journeymen, the whole division is signing younger players this is not a market that is closed to us

2 minutes ago, Derbados said:

This. I don’t get it at all. He specifically said he wanted players in the 22-27 age bracket with pace, power and athleticism, goes and signs a load over 30’s? eh? 

I think the transfer window has been abysmal overall, the lack of attacking signings in abundantly obvious to all and sundry 

the average age of our squad is scandelous there seems to be no planning its like they ring up and agent and say got anybody decent?

4 minutes ago, alram said:

tyler walker

alistair smith

regan poole

harvey knibbs

sam smith

jack whatmough 

do you want some more? it is a complete myth our only market is ageing journeymen, the whole division is signing younger players this is not a market that is closed to us

What was our budget? Did those players want to live close to home? Could we match the offers of other clubs? You can't answer any of those questions. So frankly, throwing out names is useless. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

What was our budget? Did those players want to live close to home? Could we match the offers of other clubs? You can't answer any of those questions. So frankly, throwing out names is useless. 

its not useless be fair, i was asked names when i said we can still sign younger players i am just backing up my point with names that have moved for free across the division and i assure you most will be on lower wages than most of the championship journemen we have signed

we are targeting older players we are not forced to sign them there is other options the club should have explored

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

1 win in 9 at home in LEAGUE ONE. Send him packing. 

The three worst performances I have seen from a Derby side in over 50 years at home (have all come in the last few months( v Fleetwood, Wigan and Oxford). And they  have all come under Paul Warne.  In fairness though our poor summer recruitment (and retention) policy can only partly be blamed on Warne. Why we bothered getting a recruitment manager (ironically from Oxford) I will never know.  

Just now, alram said:

its not useless be fair, i was asked names when i said we can still sign younger players i am just backing up my point with names that have moved for free across the division and i assure you most will be on lower wages than most of the championship journemen we have signed

we are targeting older players we are not forced to sign them there is other options the club should have explored

You can't assure me that, as you have no idea what either our players or the ones you named are being paid. Everything here is just your opinion based on no fact. Useless.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

You know when I got called out for not being able to provide names of anyone on here who openly wanted PW sacked? 

I wanted him gone at the end of last season when we failed spectacularly from a comfy position to maintain play offs. 

I regrouped and said let’s see what he looks like when he’s had a say in who we sign. We’ve gone backwards. 

Honestly where do you see this going? Any decent young player who knows his way around a football sold and replaced by athletes? 

I’ll eat humble pie in the event that I’m proved tragically wrong and he turns this around but Jesus I love Derby and his football makes me want to scratch my eyes out. 

We need to be aiming to be a squad (predominantly when funds allow) of younger players who are all comfortable in the ball with a coach that improves the players so we can sell and reinvest alongside integrating good academy prospects. Instead we’ve got a coach who signs players based on how likely they are to beat Darren Moore for a header. 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

The three worst performances I have seen from a Derby side in over 50 years at home (have all come in the last few months( v Fleetwood, Wigan and Oxford). And they  have all come under Paul Warne.  In fairness though our poor summer recruitment (and retention) policy can only partly be blamed on Warne. Why we bothered getting a recruitment manager (ironically from Oxford) I will never know.  

Nah come on now, some of the home performances under Paul Jewell were totally cringeworthy 

Just now, littleover ram said:

Since March he’s won 5 out of 16 league games. Lost 7.

Funny how everyone picks from March (start of our worst period of form) to provide these numbers from. Laughably predictable. Why is March the random arbitrary starting point? 

The problem for me is I just don't see where the improvement comes from. If Warne stays this system stays - the formation, the 'tactics'. He's recruited entirely around playing exactly this way, spending the money we had on wing backs and central defenders (with Washington added to do no one-knows-what, and Waghorn as an afterthought). He doesn't seem to notice the glaring deficiencies in our midfield, because the midfield doesn't seem to feature much in his thinking about how the game should be played. He doesn't seem to notice the lack of pace or guile because they also don't feature in his 'lump it up, get it wide, corners and free kicks and the big man in the middle' blueprint. 

A lot of us were willing to pinch our noses and accept maybe Warne knew something we didn't. Maybe the quickest route out of League One really was telling a bunch of grizzled old lower-division veterans to whack the ball forwards and hope something happens. 

The problem is - if this method doesn't work, Warne doesn't seem capable of trying anything else. 

So we are left with these tactics, and this squad, and all we can really do is hope to find a couple of loans who can help address the massive deficiencies on show again tonight.

Edited by vonwright

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You can't assure me that, as you have no idea what either our players or the ones you named are being paid. Everything here is just your opinion based on no fact. Useless.

you are 100% right , but i was asked to provide names to back up my opinion and i did