Ocean Temperature (strictly apolitical)

MaltRam

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

I've never said the world's going to end due to climate change. I don't believe that to be the case. I don't even think global warming will be the end of humans. For me, it's not an extinction threat. 

But if you have some criticisms of things I've actually said, I'd be happy to address those.  

Your constant bombardment of how grave things are re so called climate change and posting stuff like the above re 100% caused by humans since such and such date is the kind of messaging and tactic that sees so many people especially the young so filled with anxiety and fear that they are verging on mental and emotional instability, sorry but I’m always going to refute and give another viewpoint ,

you may come back and say these arnt your words but it’s no different to what they call re tweeting 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Your constant bombardment of how grave things are re so called climate change and posting stuff like the above re 100% caused by humans since such and such date is the kind of messaging and tactic that sees so many people especially the young so filled with anxiety and fear that they are verging on mental and emotional instability, sorry but I’m always going to refute and give another viewpoint ,

you may come back and say these arnt your words but it’s no different to what they call re tweeting 

So your plan is 'refute and give another viewpoint' to established scientific opinion in order to protect the younger generation from the mental anguish caused by the reality of climate change.  

Eventually this extremely fragile younger generation of yours will have to be informed of how things really are, as it's going to be left to them to deal with the consequences.

I think you underestimate those younger than us. They are actually far better informed than we were and seem far more determined to actually do something about it.  If only older generations would get out of the way...and stop clinging to a system of energy generation that belongs in 19th century, they might actually have a chance.

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

So your plan is 'refute and give another viewpoint' to established scientific opinion in order to protect the younger generation from the mental anguish caused by the reality of climate change.  

Eventually this extremely fragile younger generation of yours will have to be informed of how things really are, as it's going to be left to them to deal with the consequences.

I think you underestimate those younger than us. They are actually far better informed than we were and seem far more determined to actually do something about it.  If only older generations would get out of the way...and stop clinging to a system of energy generation that belongs in 19th century, they might actually have a chance.

Yep you show in bold there YOUR message to the younger generation ( exactly what I’m talking about ) then go on to say ,, THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A CHANCE, if they don’t get on board with your message they have no chance 😂

I don’t know why I put the laugh imogi because actually it’s very very sad ,,, this hopelessness is being pumped into our kids and young and has been for a good many years now , no wonder we have figures for mental and emotional problems going through the roof , have you actually seen the emotional state of so many of these just kids when they give interviews and speak ???? Our society / species is headed for real problems long long before any climate change has any real impact so yes I will keep giving a different message to the one your spreading and if it helps even just one youngster or person of any age to consider they may be better off stepping out of anxiety and fear and just getting on and living a happier life then I will be a happy man 🤷🏻‍♂️

Climate change will first make life far more expensive or disruptive. When large swathes of the population can't insure their properties against flooding for example.

Being overly negative about the prospect of reversing climate change does noone any favours

Yep you show in bold there YOUR message to the younger generation ( exactly what I’m talking about ) then go on to say ,, THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A CHANCE, if they don’t get on board with your message they have no chance 😂

I don’t know why I put the laugh imogi because actually it’s very very sad ,,, this hopelessness is being pumped into our kids and young and has been for a good many years now , no wonder we have figures for mental and emotional problems going through the roof , have you actually seen the emotional state of so many of these just kids when they give interviews and speak ???? Our society / species is headed for real problems long long before any climate change has any real impact so yes I will keep giving a different message to the one your spreading and if it helps even just one youngster or person of any age to consider they may be better off stepping out of anxiety and fear and just getting on and living a happier life then I will be a happy man

I think rather than saying the situation was hopeless, I specifically said that they 'have a chance'.  If we take the problem seriously and act as quickly as possible, of course.

You on the other hand I'd say are imbuing the younger generation with a sense of helplessness, already damaged beyond repair almost if your reports are to be believed.  Have some faith in them, they might surprise you.  

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

I think rather than saying the situation was hopeless, I specifically said that they 'have a chance'.  If we take the problem seriously and act as quickly as possible, of course.

You on the other hand I'd say are imbuing the younger generation with a sense of helplessness, already damaged beyond repair almost if your reports are to be believed.  Have some faith in them, they might surprise you.  

I don’t think it’s damaged beyond repair and made it very clear the amount we have damaged it very disputable , what I am saying loud and clear over and over again is stop all this 5 mins to midnight , there’s no chance unless ect ect ect , get on and live life happily, if you spend all your time catastrophying tomorrow how the duck can you be happy today , 

yes we can progress to better ways on a planet that always has and always will change and often dramatically but we are also a very adaptable and ingenious species,

you know what ,, it would be interesting to run a worldwide experiment for a month with no fossil fuel or anything derived from the by products of fossil fuel , then you would see where we are ( rather than the fairy story pretence ) and how Armageddon , chaos and the breakdown of society quick smart,

perhaps read your stuff and the stuff being put out again , if you tell people we are in crisis again and again from every bloody outlet then don’t be surprised when you have large number ( especially the young ) living in fear , anxiety and a state of fervour 

Been thinking of how to get across what I’m saying and perhaps this covers it,

fossil fuels are being painted as the route of all evil , they are not , they are as vital to our survival as food , they have lifted us beyond belief in terms of quality and length of life amongst thousands of other things,

what we have as a result from this constant crisis , apocalypse bombardment is akin to people screaming to turn off a patients life support machine because it might be causing side effects that may kill him in a few thousand years ,,, it’s barking madness and beyond me how intelligent people can’t see that🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

what we have as a result from this constant crisis , apocalypse bombardment is akin to people screaming to turn off a patients life support machine because it might be causing side effects that may kill him in a few thousand years ,,, it’s barking madness and beyond me how intelligent people can’t see that🤷🏻‍♂️

I think we take your point (and lord knows you've made it enough times), but don't you think that these dire warnings are felt necessary because so many ostrich-people are happy to ignore it (covertly being encouraged by the oil industry to do so)? Too many glibly saying "get on and live life happily - it'll all be alright".

You statement that "we can progress to better ways on a planet that always has and always will change and often dramatically but we are also a very adaptable and ingenious species" seems completely at odds to your insistence that we stop worrying about it. Who is going to fix it if we have a world full of people who take the same view as yourself?

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think we take your point (and lord knows you've made it enough times), but don't you think that these dire warnings are felt necessary because so many ostrich-people are happy to ignore it (covertly being encouraged by the oil industry to do so)? Too many glibly saying "get on and live life happily - it'll all be alright".

You statement that "we can progress to better ways on a planet that always has and always will change and often dramatically but we are also a very adaptable and ingenious species" seems completely at odds to your insistence that we stop worrying about it. Who is going to fix it if we have a world full of people who take the same view as yourself?

If you follow most of my views on topics which I’m sure you do because you are not shy of replying or giving your view ( as it should be 👍) and actually allow yourself to see , you will find I try to call for balance and reason and really object to the extreme , the constant crisis crisis’ crisis being thrown out is extreme, as I say if we went for a trial of what theses extremist s keep calling for our world would disintegrate into bloody chaos ,,, madness’s 

Edited by Archied

6 hours ago, Archied said:

Been thinking of how to get across what I’m saying and perhaps this covers it,

fossil fuels are being painted as the route of all evil , they are not , they are as vital to our survival as food , they have lifted us beyond belief in terms of quality and length of life amongst thousands of other things,

I think everyone who reads this thread knows your point of view at this stage. If people don't agree with you, it's not because they don't know what you mean.

I know you see yourself as a balanced voice trying to reason with extremists and alarmists of all varieties.  But we all see our own arguments as balanced and reasonable. So don't be so sure that you are the balanced and moderate one. 

Naturally I see my own views on this subject as moderate and from my perspective you are the outlier. We are all biased in favour of ourselves. We'll just have to agree to disagree as usual. 

12 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think everyone who reads this thread knows your point of view at this stage. If people don't agree with you, it's not because they don't know what you mean.

I know you see yourself as a balanced voice trying to reason with extremists and alarmists of all varieties.  But we all see our own arguments as balanced and reasonable. So don't be so sure that you are the balanced and moderate one. 

Naturally I see my own views on this subject as moderate and from my perspective you are the outlier. We are all biased in favour of ourselves. We'll just have to agree to disagree as usual. 

Yep , won’t argue with you , you see what you see and I see what I see ,,,

as has been said before , we probably have a large overlap in the middle where we see things similar,

I certainly am not telling you to stop posting and hope you extend the same to me to passionately disagree with stuff I disagree with , if I don’t respond then it’s just an echo chamber and assumed everyone is on board with net zero, crisis ect and we see that old phrase that’s rolled out that such and such is a given … it’s not🤷‍♂️

23 hours ago, Archied said:

you will find I try to call for balance and reason and really object to the extreme , the constant crisis crisis’ crisis being thrown out is extreme, as I say if we went for a trial of what theses extremist s keep calling for our world would disintegrate into bloody chaos

Your comments here reminded of someone I heard saying very similar things in the news not long ago

They claimed that there was no proveable science which showed reducing fossil fuels would result in a global warming being limited to 1.5 degrees, and that he wanted a sober and mature approach rather than an alarmist one

Sounds like your kind of guy right?

My views aren't balanced, they're evidence based and the evidence is solid. Balance is over-rated. I'd put an 80% chance I'm right...we're f*****. Planet over. Enjoy the downslope and ensuing global warfare and routine disasters. Fossil fuels are to blame...but behind that lies over-population. 6 billion too many people.

11 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Your comments here reminded of someone I heard saying very similar things in the news not long ago

They claimed that there was no proveable science which showed reducing fossil fuels would result in a global warming being limited to 1.5 degrees, and that he wanted a sober and mature approach rather than an alarmist one

Sounds like your kind of guy right?

Don’t know , never heard what he had to say, is he similar to those slashing Tesla tyres and claiming we are going to see our families raped in front of us because of climate change ( ext rebellion)

7 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

My views aren't balanced, they're evidence based and the evidence is solid. Balance is over-rated. I'd put an 80% chance I'm right...we're f*****. Planet over. Enjoy the downslope and ensuing global warfare and routine disasters. Fossil fuels are to blame...but behind that lies over-population. 6 billion too many people.

Take a look around , climate change is the least of our worries 

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Don’t know , never heard what he had to say

OK - I'll help you out - your views seem to be identical to his. 

He is Sultan Al Jaber, the head of the state-owned UAE oil company Adnoc. He's also the current president of the United Nations COP28 meeting

https://archive.ph/lckEC

Get your critical thinking hat on Archie, and dive on in!

Edited by Stive Pesley

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

100% agree. 

Yup - not that there aren't other huge problems in the world, but to try and disassociate them from climate change, as if they aren't all linked is asinine in the extreme. Climate change is at the heart of it all. 

I'm sure we're already beyond the point where we can limit warming to 1.5, and as such is more about whether we bend or break - and how soon. Yes some of the reporting is alarmist, but then there is an awful lot that we should be alarmed about!

2 hours ago, MaltRam said:

It is the single most significant threat to human civilisation in history, by a vast margin.

Asteroid missed recently by a very few relative miles recently, we are firing off rockets and bombs at each other all around the globe with people in charge without a brain cell between them , climate change has barely tied its shoes up 😂