Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

6 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

I wish fans would accept that Derby cannot "splurge" the cash anymore. It's only just over 12 months ago that we were on the verge of total oblivion - no ground; no players; no club - nothing whatsoever.

We've been to the edge of the abyss, looked in and we don't ever want to go there again.

I do not want to see an owner "splash" the cash and offer us dreams, then run out of money and see it all collapse.

If we have to buy players who are, by other club or division standards, "cheap" or loans, so be it, until the club is back on firm footing, without any embargos or EFL restricted business plans, when, perhaps one day, we can go back to trading players in the normal way.

David Clowes has a plan which he set out in his interview a few months ago, in which he hoped that Derby would be back, and competing, in the Championship within 5 years and if Derby have to remain in Division 1 for another season, I will accept that because I love my football watching my home town club Derby County FC.

Let's not get over excited about who may or may not be transferred, in or out of the club, in the next few weeks, because there is still 27 days to go before the transfer window closes on the 1st September.

Let the games begin - COYR's

i understand this completely, i dont want to see us splash the cash or do something ridiclous.

but my response would be a happy alternative is to invest in assets that can grow & dont put bigger wages into players ageing that wont improve or lack motivation. we look back to last season with mcgoldrick & hourihane, a few others also that will be on big wages for this level and a year or two down the line you have nothing to show for it meanwhile a younger player with an upward curve will protect the club better than those players. waghorn falls into the same category as the above two, yeah he might be good but it gets us nowhere long term.

7 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

I wish fans would accept that Derby cannot "splurge" the cash anymore. It's only just over 12 months ago that we were on the verge of total oblivion - no ground; no players; no club - nothing whatsoever.

We've been to the edge of the abyss, looked in and we don't ever want to go there again.

I do not want to see an owner "splash" the cash and offer us dreams, then run out of money and see it all collapse.

If we have to buy players who are, by other club or division standards, "cheap" or loans, so be it, until the club is back on firm footing, without any embargos or EFL restricted business plans, when, perhaps one day, we can go back to trading players in the normal way.

David Clowes has a plan which he set out in his interview a few months ago, in which he hoped that Derby would be back, and competing, in the Championship within 5 years and if Derby have to remain in Division 1 for another season, I will accept that because I love my football watching my home town club Derby County FC.

Let's not get over excited about who may or may not be transferred, in or out of the club, in the next few weeks, because there is still 27 days to go before the transfer window closes on the 1st September.

Let the games begin - COYR's

Can we pin this post somewhere as a reminder to some 

12 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Waggy is better than what we have uptop. Might not be the most exciting signing but We wasnt exactly excited about signing McGoldrick at the time.

Im Hoping that the drop in league & the chances we miss waggy might score a decent amount in this league

he might be better but he's not what we need

40 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Waggy is better than what we have uptop. Might not be the most exciting signing but We wasnt exactly excited about signing McGoldrick at the time.

Im Hoping that the drop in league & the chances we miss waggy might score a decent amount in this league

I was.  He was always going to have the best hold up play and ability to hold the ball at feet by a mile in this division.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I was.  He was always going to have the best hold up play and ability to hold the ball at feet by a mile in this division.

Agree totally. I had no doubts about him as a footballer having seen him in the prem. i also have two sheff united sth mates that filled me in about his ability as a footballer 

what did surprise me was his goalscoring. 

hes never been prolific … but last season he was priceless for us in that respect.

who knows maybe the manager can take some credit for getting the best out of him in that respect 😉😜lol

1 minute ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Heard he only made his decision to sign last night after turning down Blackpool

Oh okay, it's not like we needed him today or anything. Just feel it could have been decided sooner. But it seems lots of old strikers (inc CM before anyone says) seem to be playing poker with teams, holding out for what they can get. I guess that's what you get with old players on their last legs?

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh okay, it's not like we needed him today or anything. Just feel it could have been decided sooner. But it seems lots of old strikers (inc CM before anyone says) seem to be playing poker with teams, holding out for what they can get. I guess that's what you get with old players on their last legs?

Last contract for him so he's bound to take his time.Funny how some fans expect players to act differently from us mere mortals when making decisions.

Just now, nogbad van 50 said:

Last contract for him so he's bound to take his time.Funny how some fans expect players to act differently from us mere mortals when making decisions.

What he didn't know before now? Blackpool didn't up their offer then do you think?