Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Quite. It seems to me that a lot are overlooking how many our ‘defenders’ will score this season. How many did our back 5 contribute last season. I’ll guess at no more than 5. Warne will expect closer to 20 from his new group this season, from corners, free kicks, and wing back shooting. We don’t really need a hotshot for this season, but it would be nice to think we have one in mind for seasons ahead.

20 😳 That would be good 😊 Nearly cover McGoldrick’s goals.

17 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

FGS - our recruitment team are rubbish - why can’t we just throw a load of cash at Peterborough, pay JCH whatever he wants to replace Didsy’s goals ….everyone knows that that formula is sustainable and has a history of success……. and having that amount of goals from one person in your team guarantees you promotion just look at Peterboro last season…..they ….oh wait….!!! 🫣😉

Happy Monday everyone - bring on Saturday!!!  🐏

He's got 81 goals in his last 120 games at this level and is on the transfer list.  If we had the money Warne would be giving him a piggy back here if he wanted to sign. Why would any club in this division not want that level of goal threat if they could bring it in.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's got 81 goals in his last 120 games at this level and is on the transfer list.  If we had the money Warne would be giving him a piggy back here if he wanted to sign. Why would any club in this division not want that level of goal threat if they could bring it in.

I don’t disagree with any of what you have just written - not really the point I was making tho

35 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

20 😳 That would be good 😊 Nearly cover McGoldrick’s goals.

We will be better at corners this year - we couldn't really be much worse.

I think Ward and Elder will get a few goals if we are playing them as wing backs, with freedom to get in and around the box.

20 might be optimistic, but hey I am usually pigeon holed as being negative on here.

Come on you great big beautiful Rams!

54 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Cos no team in this leauge has the money for him.

posh strikers go for a premium because of their history of producing.. bar the one we bought lol.

they all end up in the championship because its above leaguen one budgets  

5 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Cos no team in this leauge has the money for him.

posh strikers go for a premium because of their history of producing.. bar the one we bought lol.

they all end up in the championship because its above leaguen one budgets  

As I said.  If we had the money, which we either can't spend or based on recent Warne comments probably aren't looking to spend.  I can't see he'll get a move over 1.5 -2 million as they want to sell.  Possibly need too based on recent reports. That's probably his ceiling as a player who'll get 10 in the league above, as he's played their before, with length of contract.  That's a decent price for the goals he'll get in this league.  If were here for 2-3 years it's goals that increase our chances of promotion greatly.  If we go up in a year let him go for a million. Either way it's a decent deal to my mind if his wage is reasonable. Times pushing for Peterborough and the player re a move so expectation will be more tempered than it was 2 months ago.

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

As I said.  If we had the money, which we either can't spend or based on recent Warne comments probably aren't looking to spend.  I can't see he'll get a move over 1.5 -2 million as they want to sell.  Possibly need too based on recent reports. That's probably his ceiling as a player who'll get 10 in the league above, as he's played their before, with length of contract.  That's a decent price for the goals he'll get in this league.  If were here for 2-3 years it's goals that increase our chances of promotion greatly.  If we go up in a year let him go for a million. Either way it's a decent deal to my mind if his wage is reasonable. Times pushing for Peterborough and the player re a move so expectation will be more tempered than it was 2 months ago.

He'll probably end up as a last gasp transfer at the end of the transfer window, which could go one of two ways. Either Posh will accept a much lower price because no one is desperate enough to pay their asking price or they get a high price because championship clubs with money and desperate for a goalscorer will compete against each other for his signing.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

best will in the world but Theres a lot of ifs, buts and maybes and guesswork to your assumptions there.

21 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

best will in the world but Theres a lot of ifs, buts and maybes and guesswork to your assumptions there.

The most pertinent bits.  Would he get more than twenty- yes.  Will we spend the money to get him- no.  Is that an error- Possibly if goes for the 1.5-2 million I reckon he will.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The most pertinent bits.  Would he get more than twenty- yes.  Will we spend the money to get him- no.  Is that an error- Possibly if goes for the 1.5-2 million I reckon he will.

I genuinely dont know the answer, my lazy guesstimate which isnt based on a lot other some of my own assumptions is that there will be clubs higher up and in a better position to make a deal happen if they so choose.

as for him as a player, other than his goal record i really havent seen enough of him to comment on if i think he would be a good fit etc etc

19 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I genuinely dont know the answer, my lazy guesstimate which isnt based on a lot other some of my own assumptions is that there will be clubs higher up and in a better position to make a deal happen if they so choose.

as for him as a player, other than his goal record i really havent seen enough of him to comment on if i think he would be a good fit etc etc

I like the fella at Bristol Rovers better as an all round forward.  Clarke-Harris is very good back to goal holding the ball up.  He has a low trajectory and can do it 20 yards from the box.  He'd certainly help our midfielders get more.  Moot point I suppose as he won't be coming.

55 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Yes there is but within it all there is also a lot of good sense too. G's assessment of Peterborough's position is very much in line with mine and others. Paying Peterborough the sort of money they would like for JCH is loaded with a gamble, a la Marriott. We're not playing roulette in the transfer market anymore. There are good reasons why no-one has dived in for JCH so far.

On 29/07/2023 at 19:05, kevinhectoring said:

class? he’s not in the same school. not even in the same educational borough. He’d be a useful squad player but with all the talk of putting crosses in the box (which he won’t get on the end of) he doesnt get my tick  

Having read Kev's ringing endorsement, Waggy is now top of my shopping list.

Get him in!

Do it now!!!  

5 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Yes there is but within it all there is also a lot of good sense too. G's assessment of Peterborough's position is very much in line with mine and others. Paying Peterborough the sort of money they would like for JCH is loaded with a gamble, a la Marriott. We're not playing roulette in the transfer market anymore. There are good reasons why no-one has dived in for JCH so far.

That and his age… hes a 29 yo forward whos not been prolific any higher than league 1 

marriott and the many before him that came off the production line at posh had more measurable potential given their comparative age to JCH 

9 hours ago, Dava75 said:

FGS - our recruitment team are rubbish - why can’t we just throw a load of cash at Peterborough, pay JCH whatever he wants to replace Didsy’s goals ….everyone knows that that formula is sustainable and has a history of success……. and having that amount of goals from one person in your team guarantees you promotion just look at Peterboro last season…..they ….oh wait….!!! 🫣😉

Happy Monday everyone - bring on Saturday!!!  🐏

need to get a grip is the answer