Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

Makes sense.Β 

But what's the X for? Excrement?

It went from twitter to X for your ego, you bullsheeter 🀣 

You wanted to make sure everyone knew who owned it, wanted to make sure everyone was talking about it. Just say that. 🀣 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fair enough but I'm baffled why anyone would consider using the "for you" tab. Curate your own feed. Whatever it's been called over the years, it's always been hopeless. And wants to get a rise out of people as that's how the algorithms drive engagement.Β 

The β€œfor you” tab should be stuff you’re interested in based on your followers, who they follow/like/retweet etc. The fact that at least half of mine isn’t, is indicative of Musk’s Twitter vision.Β 

2 hours ago, cstand said:

Β 

Β 

That makes zero sense to me.

Firstly, what are you Twittering on about? has been a phrase for decades before Twitter.

I always presumed that was where the name came from.

Secondly, with a platform of that size, you effectively own the word, so it becomes whatever you make it.

His ego is too out of control for him to say, 'I ducked up'.

Even a year after the change, people still talk about tweets and have to refer to X as, formerly, Twitter. It's the worst rebrand in modern corporate history.Β 

He's an incredibly smart idiot.Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

The β€œfor you” tab should be stuff you’re interested in based on your followers, who they follow/like/retweet etc. The fact that at least half of mine isn’t, is indicative of Musk’s Twitter vision.Β 

I would recommend Neil Lawrence's book The Atomic Human and the section about System Zero thinking, on how AI works (on all social media). Especially Facebook but inevitably similar on Twitter. It simply is not worth going there and being a slave to the algorithm. You might say "it shouldn't be like that" but it's the inevitable reality of social media companies needing to make money for a free service. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "Musk's vision" and it's naive to think so. It's just brute force computing with unimaginably vast amounts of data.Β 

Always remember, if you're not paying for the product, you are the product.Β 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I would recommend Neil Lawrence's book The Atomic Human and the section about System Zero thinking, on how AI works (on all social media). Especially Facebook but inevitably similar on Twitter. It simply is not worth going there and being a slave to the algorithm. You might say "it shouldn't be like that" but it's the inevitable reality of social media companies needing to make money for a free service. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "Musk's vision" and it's naive to think so. It's just brute force computing with unimaginably vast amounts of data.Β 

Always remember, if you're not paying for the product, you are the product.Β 

It's naive to think that Musk bought it and has immediately gotten worse, and not only that, has aligned itself with his personal politics, and think it's just an an algorithmic coincidence. I have been on Twitter since 2009, I am aware of what it's been like, and I'm fully aware of what it's like now.

29 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's naive to think that Musk bought it and has immediately gotten worse, and not only that, has aligned itself with his personal politics, and think it's just an an algorithmic coincidence. I have been on Twitter since 2009, I am aware of what it's been like, and I'm fully aware of what it's like now.

Absolutely - and it shows a general ignorance of how algorithms work. They do what they are told to do!

Β 

6 hours ago, Srg said:

The counter argument would be that the previous ownership were suppressing right-wing content in favour of their politics. Which I don't think is unfounded.

Whether or not Musk is adjusting it in his favour I don't know. But I do know the whole experience has got one hell of a lot worse.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The counter argument would be that the previous ownership were suppressing right-wing content in favour of their politics. Which I don't think is unfounded.

Whether or not Musk is adjusting it in his favour I don't know. But I do know the whole experience has got one hell of a lot worse.

Think it’s hard to avoid , same with news papers and other media,

it is a bit like if Murdock bought the guardian, a swing from one side to another,

the good thing is you get to choose whether you go on x or what paper you prefer , guardian in the main ( not always ) is not my fav but I don’t think it should be censored , changed or stopped from being sold and I don’t hugely dislike the owners of it , they have a view of things and that’s fine

Edited by Archied

14 minutes ago, Archied said:

Think it’s hard to avoid , same with news papers and other media,

it is a bit like if Murdock bought the guardian, a swing from one side to another,

the good thing is you get to choose whether you go on x or what paper you prefer , guardian in the main ( not always ) is not my fav but I don’t think it should be censored , changed or stopped from being sold and I don’t hugely dislike the owners of it , they have a view of things and that’s fine

I'd say it's a little easier to be neutral as a social media platform than as a newspaper. Newspapers produce their own content, which will be informed by their journalists' opinions. Social media platforms are just the mediums through which people post.

However, it will be difficult to be neutral in moderation. You're never going to please everybody.

Now where have I heard that one before...

30 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd say it's a little easier to be neutral as a social media platform than as a newspaper. Newspapers produce their own content, which will be informed by their journalists' opinions. Social media platforms are just the mediums through which people post.

However, it will be difficult to be neutral in moderation. You're never going to please everybody.

Now where have I heard that one before...

Yep , that’s a good point , but still to a degree if you control who posts and what they post it’s similar, maybe what we are seeing is the start of how the newspapers and tv evolved , I would expect something to rise in the way twitter did that will rival x in size and influence as it’s clear there’s an audience for it that are really unhappy with where x is now

44 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Here's Elon Musk outright breaking the law. Creating/sharing a deep fake video of a political candidate for the purpose of interfering with the election.Β 

Is this as bad when he shared unfounded conspiracy theories about the guy who tried to kill Nancy Pelosi at her home, but ended up attacking her husband instead?Β 

53 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Here's Elon Musk outright breaking the law. Creating/sharing a deep fake video of a political candidate for the purpose of interfering with the election.Β 

I've never watched one of these things before. Is that a particularly poor one. I guess Musk's defence is that he must be ironic when saying it's amazing.

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Why would he post that?Β  In what way does he think it's amazing?Β  Does he not stop and think about what he is saying from time to time?Β 

Does Elon not have a trusted PA or advisor whom he can run opinions/posts by before he makes them public.Β  It seems not, because for all his success he really does say/post the stupidest things. There seems to be some fundamental defect in his personality, an absence of basic common sense some might call it.Β 

On 25/07/2024 at 18:07, Jubbs said:

https://x.com/David_Leavitt/status/1816318314605338793

I'll link this tweet (won't embed as it contains the n word), which adds up with what the API seemingly says.

But the platform does apparently monitor tweets for hateful slurs

Here is the drummer from The Fall discussing an album with ex-presenter of Channel 4s The Word Terry Christian

(apparently "cracker" is a disparaging US word for stupid, white rednecks)

image.png.ab0cfb2d27c37ef26eafb7e4b6c903ed.png