Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

It's such an amazing platform. All traditional news is hours or days out of date nowadays. And, without it, much of our information would be censored. The best source for space, for AI, for my industry of publishing, for science, for insightful live videos, for news of most kinds, and sometimes even about Derby.

And it's easy to curate your feed.

If people are having a bad experience, I'd recommend spending a few minutes on your settings and subscribing for a month or two to see if that changes it.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's such an amazing platform. All traditional news is hours or days out of date nowadays. And, without it, much of our information would be censored. The best source for space, for AI, for my industry of publishing, for science, for insightful live videos, for news of most kinds, and sometimes even about Derby.

If people are having a bad experience, I'd recommend spending a few minutes on your settings and subscribing for a month or two to see if that changes it.

On the flip side, allot of news content on that platform is partial, inaccurate and sometimes entirely fabricated. It would also appear that that aspect has got worse since Musk's takeover, as has the tolerance of overtly racist and misogynistic content. I guess if you can be bothered to wade through or try to filter all that rubbish in order to find things of value it might be worth it, but I gave up lining the pockets of a man who cares so little about truth and decency.

Edited by Crewton

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

On the flip side, allot of news content on that platform is partial, inaccurate and sometimes entirely fabricated. It would also appear that that aspect has got worse since Musk's takeover, as has the tolerance of overtly racist and misogynistic content. I guess if you can be bothered to wade through or try to filter all that rubbish in order to find things of value it might be worth it, but I gave up lining the pockets of a man who cares so little about truth and decency.

It's pretty bad, openly racist tweets with no repercussions. Andrew Tate tweeted someone the N word with the hard R the other day, for example. My feed is full of fake news blue check mark stuff, all pro Trump, anti-Harris, Elon Musk tweets which are, unsurprisingly, pro Trump. Which is just daft as a supposed impartial algorithm when I've never looked at his profile, I am anti-Trump etc. Call me a conspiracy theorist, I don't really care, but this platform is 100x worse for disinformation and bias than it was pre-Elon.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Andrew Tate tweeted someone the N word with the hard R the other day, for example

If you search his account + the "N" word - he uses it on a frequent basis. I think it's a deliberately provocative move, because his father was black (even though Tate himself appears to be pretty fair-skinned)

3 hours ago, Srg said:

It's pretty bad, openly racist tweets with no repercussions. Andrew Tate tweeted someone the N word with the hard R the other day, for example. My feed is full of fake news blue check mark stuff, all pro Trump, anti-Harris, Elon Musk tweets which are, unsurprisingly, pro Trump. Which is just daft as a supposed impartial algorithm when I've never looked at his profile, I am anti-Trump etc. Call me a conspiracy theorist, I don't really care, but this platform is 100x worse for disinformation and bias than it was pre-Elon.

Yep, I see it that way too.

I used to enjoy reading the comments, but now they are frequently dominated by spammers looking to hijack the traffic.

It started going downhill before Musk took over, but it has gained so much downward momentum since.

It can still be good for SEO and marketing, but even with that, there are more and more people moving to LinkedIn.

Funny to see people still trying to defend it when it's so objectively and obviously worse than it was in its heyday

Changing it for the worse and then saying you just need to try and spend time experimenting with your settings a bit and maybe pay a monthly subscription to get it back to how good it used to be? Yes that's definitely business genius 😂

Shock, Elon "Free Speech" Musk allows certain users to be racist and go against their Terms of Service. This was never for profit, or free speech, this was always for political influence. 

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Shock, Elon "Free Speech" Musk allows certain users to be racist and go against their Terms of Service. This was never for profit, or free speech, this was always for political influence. 

This tweet about the API seems to have a lot of responses claiming it as fake, but I'm interested in this new "stay informed - manipulated media" label that they have. I wonder how successfully that will be applied across the board? Who has decided that it's definitely fake, and how?

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

This tweet about the API seems to have a lot of responses claiming it as fake, but I'm interested in this new "stay informed - manipulated media" label that they have. I wonder how successfully that will be applied across the board? Who has decided that it's definitely fake, and how?

Looks pretty fake to me. It's essentially saying:

"protected users: Trump, Musk, Russia..."
"ignore list: racist words"

On 24/07/2024 at 01:47, Srg said:

This is what I'm seeing. Not borderline stuff - genuine outright racism, sexism, anti-semitism, Islamophobia, etc. Followed up by unapologetic white supremacy. Not something only a "snowflake" would be offended by, and all tweeted by blue checks.

I'm trying to figure out how much of this reflects a wider movement, or how much of it is an online bubble. It definitely is seen as more publicly acceptable to be anti-woke now than it was in, say 2020. I think things needed a readjustment from a period that bled into hysteria, but it's interesting to see it go the complete other way now. 

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

On 24/07/2024 at 01:57, Carl Sagan said:

I'd love to read the comments on tweets, but 99% of them are filled by blue ticked bots commenting random stuff or pedaling ads. 

Nothing at all unsurprising it's turned into a mess since Musk purchased it.

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I'd love to read the comments on tweets, but 99% of them are filled by blue ticked bots commenting random stuff or pedaling ads. 

Nothing at all unsurprising it's turned into a mess since Musk purchased it.

And the annoying thing is, it's still the best social media format IMO. It could just be so much better.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

And the annoying thing is, it's still the best social media format IMO. It could just be so much better.

Reddit is better, in the most part. Just doesn’t offer the same immediacy that Twitter does. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Reddit is better, in the most part. Just doesn’t offer the same immediacy that Twitter does. 

Yeah I've started using Reddit more the last 6 months or so. Real humans giving real opinions. Managed to avoid the stuff that gives it a bad name too. 

But you're right, much less immediate.

On 24/07/2024 at 08:47, Srg said:

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This is what I'm seeing. Not borderline stuff - genuine outright racism, sexism, anti-semitism, Islamophobia, etc. Followed up by unapologetic white supremacy. Not something only a "snowflake" would be offended by, and all tweeted by blue checks.

I'm trying to figure out how much of this reflects a wider movement, or how much of it is an online bubble. It definitely is seen as more publicly acceptable to be anti-woke now than it was in, say 2020. I think things needed a readjustment from a period that bled into hysteria, but it's interesting to see it go the complete other way now. 

I'm just quoting you two as you seem to have similar experiences, but I'm baffled. I just went to my timeline to check, and it was simply a long list of tweets from people I follow (and their retweets). Why are you seeing weird stuff in your feeds? I can't imagine anyone uses the "for you" tab or, if you do, why? If you're getting dodgy stuff in your main timeline then that's weird but I guess you might not subscribe. You can do that monthly to try it out, and by the sound of it, it would make a massive difference. 

40 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm just quoting you two as you seem to have similar experiences, but I'm baffled. I just went to my timeline to check, and it was simply a long list of tweets from people I follow (and their retweets). Why are you seeing weird stuff in your feeds? I can't imagine anyone uses the "for you" tab or, if you do, why? If you're getting dodgy stuff in your main timeline then that's weird but I guess you might not subscribe. You can do that monthly to try it out, and by the sound of it, it would make a massive difference. 

Of course it’s the “for you” tab, as that’s what the algorithm does. The following tab is your own doing, which you’d think the algorithm might take into account but it clearly doesn’t. Doesn’t change the replies to even tweets from people I follow being a cesspit though. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Of course it’s the “for you” tab, as that’s what the algorithm does. The following tab is your own doing, which you’d think the algorithm might take into account but it clearly doesn’t. Doesn’t change the replies to even tweets from people I follow being a cesspit though. 

Fair enough but I'm baffled why anyone would consider using the "for you" tab. Curate your own feed. Whatever it's been called over the years, it's always been hopeless. And wants to get a rise out of people as that's how the algorithms drive engagement.