Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

49 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

Reckon this one will get over the line.

I don’t think this is a bad signing at all, because the striker market is limited especially in league one. If there’s one good striker, they’re wanted by everyone. It’s not ideal having another 30+ year old striker, but I guarantee he will score goals at this level.

You might be right but this whole thing baffles me. It’s as if, as a nation, someone slipped up on the planning and we forgot to manufacture enough of them. It’s not like all the good ones have gone and there’s only a fat bloke in plimsolls left. Where’s the next Vardy? Ndiaye came from Boreham Wood and what’s his market value now? Sorry if I’m going over old ground 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just now, Woodley Ram said:

Rhodes has just turned 33, not 34

Rhodes 33, Washington 32 and Collins 31 we would have one dimension strike force average 32 years which could have another great season together if we continue to deliver crosses like Ward can

22 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Rhodes 33, Washington 32 and Collins 31 we would have one dimension strike force average 32 years which could have another great season together if we continue to deliver crosses like Ward can

I would be concerned if we brought in Rhodes on a massive salary and a long contract. If he fits in with the wage restructure of the rest of the sqaud on a 12 or 24 month contract then I think he could be a welcome addition bolstering our front line.

3 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Exactly. So having banked a bit of money last season from gates well in excess of the business plan, season ticket sales much higher than our one or two closest competitors and seval times higher than most, plus fees for Bielik and Knight, plus savings in wages on both its time to get our hand in our pockets and pay a fee or two. I want to see a couple of young Bobby Davison type speculative signings where we back the judgement of our scouting team. Please NOT any more over the hill players such as Sharpe or Rhodes where we look to squeeze the last few drops, or journeymen players like Collins and Washington. Lets have some IMAGINATION 

And yet despite all the good news I would be prepared to bet quite a lot that our expenditure still exceeded our income and that our owner has needed to find ways of bridging the financial gap over the last year and probably next too  

It’s not us who has to dig our hands into our pockets any more than we do,  it’s him. Even free transfers cost money. He’s being careful and thank the lord for that. 

1 minute ago, ilkleyram said:

And yet despite all the good news I would be prepared to bet quite a lot that our expenditure still exceeded our income and that our owner has needed to find ways of bridging the financial gap over the last year and probably next too  

It’s not us who has to dig our hands into our pockets any more than we do,  it’s him. Even free transfers cost money. He’s being careful and thank the lord for that. 

If that's the case then every other club in our division will be bankrupt this season. I've had this argument with people before, maybe you were one of them. Lets be clear, the EFL would not have agreed to a business plan that was based us making a loss. I'd be prepared to bet my money on that. We know that last season's business plan was based on conservative income assumptions which were comfortably exceeded and we also know that the EFL were very happy with the prudence we showed, hence a loosening of the controls in place for this season  

28 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

If that's the case then every other club in our division will be bankrupt this season. I've had this argument with people before, maybe you were one of them. Lets be clear, the EFL would not have agreed to a business plan that was based us making a loss. I'd be prepared to bet my money on that. We know that last season's business plan was based on conservative income assumptions which were comfortably exceeded and we also know that the EFL were very happy with the prudence we showed, hence a loosening of the controls in place for this season  

Nope, not me. We’ve never argued.  But I bet you’re wrong and that the business plan allowed us to make a loss. Two reasons why I would conclude that. 1) because even the efl would recognise that it would be impossible for us to suddenly decrease our expenditure and remain competitive (given that our main outgoings are players wages) to such a degree that we make a profit, which is what you’re suggesting and 2) because the EFL’s own ffp rules explicitly allow clubs to make a loss year after year after year. The rules just try to limit the level of loss. It would be perverse - even for the efl - if they suddenly insisted that any business plan was predicated on us making a profit in our first year out of administration.

we have been prudent; we have probably exceeded our income targets/plans; we have managed our budgets and persuaded the EFL that we are no longer a financial basket case. But I bet our expenditure exceeds our income.

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Nope, not me. We’ve never argued.  But I bet you’re wrong and that the business plan allowed us to make a loss. Two reasons why I would conclude that. 1) because even the efl would recognise that it would be impossible for us to suddenly decrease our expenditure and remain competitive (given that our main outgoings are players wages) to such a degree that we make a profit, which is what you’re suggesting and 2) because the EFL’s own ffp rules explicitly allow clubs to make a loss year after year after year. The rules just try to limit the level of loss. It would be perverse - even for the efl - if they suddenly insisted that any business plan was predicated on us making a profit in our first year out of administration.

we have been prudent; we have probably exceeded our income targets/plans; we have managed our budgets and persuaded the EFL that we are no longer a financial basket case. But I bet our expenditure exceeds our income.

Finally, some sense around our financial situation.

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

That's definitely not right, don't think any huge money has changed hands but Blackpool, Bolton, Charlton, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Wycombe have all spent some money up to this point. I think Kyle Joseph went to Blackpool for close to £1m (albeit undisclosed). 

Peterborough definitely have spent a lot of money signing players according to their owner