Derby County Women - 2023/24 season

Stuniverse

Wishing all the best for Megan and hope she makes a speedy recovery.

I have to say, when I read about the injury stopping play and the game abandoned I did fear something really awful knowing her history. Glad in some ways it wasn't anything of that nature, awful as the injury is

How come the game was abandoned though? There's been some real horror injuries in football where play carries on once they have been treated, I wouldn't have expected the game to be abandoned for an injury like this.

(Please do not mistake this for any Barton-esque nonsense, I'm just not sure where the decision to call the game off came from)

8 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Wishing all the best for Megan and hope she makes a speedy recovery.

I have to say, when I read about the injury stopping play and the game abandoned I did fear something really awful knowing her history. Glad in some ways it wasn't anything of that nature, awful as the injury is

How come the game was abandoned though? There's been some real horror injuries in football where play carries on once they have been treated, I wouldn't have expected the game to be abandoned for an injury like this.

(Please do not mistake this for any Barton-esque nonsense, I'm just not sure where the decision to call the game off came from)

I echo your entire post.
It was quite a relief to learn it was "only ankle related" (for want of a much better phrase!), and I too was subsequently befuddled as to why the game was halted.

Best wishes, Megan.
xxx

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Surely the game was halted because of her previous medical history.  Why take the risk? 

Quite.  And rightly so.

... But once it was established it wasn't heart related?
Reports suggest she was treated on the pitch (for the admittedly serious ankle injury) and was in good spirits as she headed for the hospital.

Were there genuine concerns relating to her heart/medical history?
Were fellow team mates too shaken/upset to carry on (For the remaining "few minutes" that remained)?
Given the very nature of the game, and how "easy" it is to get leg injuries, if her heart was such a concern (or at such risk), should she be carrying on with her playing career?  I'm guessing she had more than one expert tell her she'd be ok to do so, and was herself comfortable enough to do so?
Did the ref make the call, or was it requested by the players/management/others to abandon the game?  I believe ref's are usually reluctant to abandon a game so close to the end of a game?
Do we know how long the stoppage was for? 

I hasten to add, these are ALL genuine questions, and not intended to appear as cocky (or uncaring) remarks, despite my lack of writing skills.  I know very little about Megan and/or her heart condition, or the details surrounding this incident, so I'm more than happy to be educated on that score.

We've all seen horror injuries over the years (David Busst anyone?), where the game has gone on to be completed... once they'd swilled Schmeichel's vomit from the 6 yard box!

Of course, if there was genuine concern for her heart.  Of course, if her team mates were genuinely shook up.  Then yeah, abandon the game, and replay at a later date.  Fair do's.  Was that the case?  I honestly don't know! 🤷‍♂️

I repeat...

Best wishes, Megan.
xxx

To be fair my first thought on seeing it had been abandoned was why would you abandon a match because of an injury - I just didn't want it to come across as a Bartonesque comment.   I've only seen one match abandoned due to injury - an open fracture in the Leicester Sunday league - and even then my thought was why abandon the game it's not going to fix his leg.   

I don't know if it's due to less fully trained medical professionals being on hand at that level? The last game I went to, a Halifax player went down near the end of the game and they were so reluctant to move her that the ref ended up blowing full time a few minutes early after agreeing it with both managers. Was Tinsley moved off the playing surface at all until the ambulance arrived?

Edited by Anon

On 09/01/2024 at 18:38, trappatoni said:

Apparently that is what happened - didn't want to move her so had to wait for the ambulance.   Im not sure how long you can delay a game.

Ah!
That seems to make sense... and is understandable, of course.

Thanks for that.  🍻👍

54 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

It would be good if more matches were streamed in the future. I’m not talking about having a multi camera setup, but enough for people ,who are unable to get to games, to keep up with the action. 

I agree to an extent but how do you distinguish between people who are unable to get to games and those that would normally attend but choose not to if it's streamed for free? Free streaming must inevitably lead to smaller crowds.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree to an extent but how do you distinguish between people who are unable to get to games and those that would normally attend but choose not to if it's streamed for free? Free streaming must inevitably lead to smaller crowds.

That’s one of the potential problems. Could there be a small streaming fee possibly. But the other way of looking at it is that it could attract new people to go to games in person.

• 1 month later...

Derby County Women reached the FA Women’s National League Plate Final last weekend with a 4-2 success at Exeter City and, to celebrate reaching the Final against Cambridge United in April, RamsTV has collated the best of the Ewes’ goals from their run in the competition.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/02/women-feature-the-road-to-the-national-league-plate-final