Injuries

Poynton ram

21 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Correct - certain ligaments only evolved after 1974. Before that, footballers simply had legs of raw sinew. They didn't even have to wear shin pads. Or boots 

What you doing in the football section? Did early 70's come up on your feed, and you were ready to get some Ted Heath bashing underway?

I played in a team of young lads when I was in my late thirties and I couldn’t believe the litany of injuries I heard them talking about. 
Quads had gone, anterior this, posterior that.

I wonder if gym work tightens the muscles and ligaments too much these days?

16 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

On the subject of injuries, have we as a club ever had a season where a key player doesn't get injured? There must be a season where everything clicked and everyone stayed fit, but I can't remember it.

‘Everything clicked’…… that’s ominous. Sounds more like me at 58 when I get off the sofa….

Jumping Jacks Exercise GIF

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I played in a team of young lads when I was in my late thirties and I couldn’t believe the litany of injuries I heard them talking about. 
Quads had gone, anterior this, posterior that.

I wonder if gym work tightens the muscles and ligaments too much these days?

I can only imagine that those boys got jolly batey with you.

On 16/07/2023 at 23:25, i-Ram said:

Everything clicked last year? Perhaps if McGoldrick had been available during Rosenior’s tenure we would have got to the playoffs

1971/72 would be my go. Suspect we only used 15 players that season. Of course that was before ACLs and metatarsals were a thing.

14 players used in 71/72. Metatarsals weren't a thing because players wore proper boots rather than carpet slippers which offer no protection whatsoever. ACL? IIRC it was exactly that injury that ended Brian Clough's playing career.