Injuries

Poynton ram

39 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

We seem to have a few out at the moment, which I hope isn’t a sign of things to come with such a small squad. Hopefully nothing too serious but slightly worrying with 3 weeks to go.

A few hoping to avoid all that running in training.

3 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

How long is Barkhuizen expected to be out for? He is the one who I haven't seen much of all at since picking up an injury at Matlock.

Sounded like from Warne’s comments that wasn’t too bad and will be back in a week or so

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

On the subject of injuries, have we as a club ever had a season where a key player doesn't get injured? There must be a season where everything clicked and everyone stayed fit, but I can't remember it.

Last year?

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight was out for 6 weeks, Bird 2 months, and Chester injured for 11 months out of the 12 he was contracted for.

Key players was the key. I’ll give you bird but Chester barely measures on the scale. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Last year?

Everything clicked last year? Perhaps if McGoldrick had been available during Rosenior’s tenure we would have got to the playoffs

1971/72 would be my go. Suspect we only used 15 players that season. Of course that was before ACLs and metatarsals were a thing.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Everything clicked last year? Perhaps if McGoldrick had been available during Rosenior’s tenure we would have got to the playoffs

1971/72 would be my go. Suspect we only used 15 players that season. Of course that was before ACLs and metatarsals were a thing.

Achilles tendon injuries were a thing as Roy Mac found out. 

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Chester was signed with the intention of him being a key player. During pre-season, in looked like a Chester-Davies partnership was Rosenior's preferred starters

That partnership is so lightning quick they’re just about out the tunnel ready to start against Oxford 2022. 

Thank god it wasn’t. 

13 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

We seem to have a few out at the moment, which I hope isn’t a sign of things to come with such a small squad. Hopefully nothing too serious but slightly worrying with 3 weeks to go.

As others have said, it’s probably a lot of precaution with us having a small squad (of first teamers at least). With the squad being in Spain, we’ve seen a lot of the players out there, but no visual updates of the ones working at Moor Farm. I reckon they will have been doing their own preseason stuff, ready to join in again this week

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

More like in 1971/72 men were men and also didnt fall over as if they had been shot

5 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

More like in 1971/72 men were men and also didnt fall over as if they had been shot

Many were patched up and given injections of cortisone etc and played when they shouldn’t have. Many had careers shortened and others are now suffering because of that with arthritis etc. A chat with Roy Mac will confirm that .

Smaller squads , finances and a lack of care for players welfare at the time major factors. Plus bravery of some and fear of losing wages for others. 

A golden time to watch but not always great for the players. A very different game now. 

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Not in 1971/72. I think they were a thing from around 1974/1975 onwards Reggie.

Correct - certain ligaments only evolved after 1974. Before that, footballers simply had legs of raw sinew. They didn't even have to wear shin pads. Or boots 

Edited by Stive Pesley