Do we need a goalscorer Paul

Curtains

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

No it’s crap when I’m on here right 

Not at all. 

Just jumped in head first this morning I think mate. We’ve got weeks until the season starts and if we have to go with what we have - so be it. It was always going to be a quiet week with everyone away, would hope a few rumours begin to surface next week. 

Plenty to be upbeat about. Another chance to see the new lads and the young uns tomorrow. 

35 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Just to clarify.  In Paul Warne I trust .

Difficult to discuss anything on here now without getting bollocked .

I love Derby and I want them to do well. 

Keep the faith! Difficult to find good strikers on a budget of anything less than EPL level.  Who would have thought Didzy would have such a season last year on signing him also. We seem to be more balanced generally than last year just need the icing for the cake now 🐏

definitely keep the faith.

but i think its only fair we are allowed to voice our concerns. i am not comparing the situations in a million years but we were told to keep the faith with mel. sometimes faith isnt rewarded, we all hope it is with warne but there are a few warning signs that things arent going to plan. 

2 minutes ago, alram said:

definitely keep the faith.but i think its only fair we are allowed to voice our concerns. i am not comparing the situations in a million years but we were told to keep the faith with mel. sometimes faith isnt rewarded, we all hope it is with warne but there are a few warning signs that things arent going to plan. 

Which are? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

5 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

It's exactly the point.

If we accept that Warne wants, and realises that we need a goalscorer, then it obviously means that at the moment we have been unable to get one that is better than we already have.

I personally feel that getting a good one once the season has started is far better than getting a couple of average ones in July just so that we can integrate them.

The other reasons could be waiting for funds from Bielik/Knight before being able to move on who we want, or the selling club trying to get their squad sorted before letting the player go.

There’s multiple plausible reasons. Warne himself has said finding strikers is the hardest bit, and he is right. Proven ones that aren’t over the hill that come free are rare as rocking horse s***, and finding the same thing with a small fee is also very tough. 

I choose to trust that they’re coming. Warne isn’t daft, he’s said what he wants, he’s been open about it and everything he’s said has happened so far. He said after Matlock 4 maybe 5 more, and since then we’ve signed Wilson. That puts us at 3-4 more and I think the majority, if not all, will be in the final third. 

11 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Keep the faith! Difficult to find good strikers on a budget of anything less than EPL level.  Who would have thought Didzy would have such a season last year on signing him also. We seem to be more balanced generally than last year just need the icing for the cake now 🐏

Yes . I think I posted what I thought was needed but in retrospect after listening to others on here I realise I’m wrong.  Let’s face it we have only just come out of administration thanks to David Clowes.  
Warney I’m with you all the way to promotion we hope. 

PS Paul Warne is obviously doing his best and I know he knows what he’s doing. 

Edited by Curtains
Added

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Yes . I think I posted what I thought was needed but in retrospect after listening to others on here I realise I’m wrong.  Let’s face it we have only just come out of administration thanks to David Clowes.  

PS Paul Warne is obviously doing his best and I know he knows what he’s doing. 

I look forward to the time, probably this evening, when you have a completely different view.  Love you Curtains. 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I don’t think people disagree with what the concern is you’ve raised @Curtains, possibly how you’ve raised it?

So to be clear, yes ideally we do need another striker (or two).  
And Paul Warne has said as much himself, so the title of this thread seems misplaced, asking “Do we need a goalscorer Paul” seemingly ignores what Warne has already said, and could be interpreted as implying Warne doesn’t know that. Perhaps something was lost in the black and white of text whereas in verbal conversation people could hear your tone. 

You asked why we are signing all these defenders? The answer to that question is because we needed them, as much as we need attacking players.  You have to keep goals out as well as scoring them at the other end. We didn’t have any senior fullbacks or wingbacks last season and in the summer Curtis Davies, Richard Stearman, James Chester, and Haydon Roberts all left leaving us with Cashin, Forsyth and Rooney as the only defenders in the first team squad. Adding Nelson, Bradley, Wilson, Elder and Ward has given us the bodies needed at the back and solved our full/wingback situation. 
You asked where the 4 are that Warne wants, I’m not clear if you mean 4 other signings or 4 attackers? WaRnE stated before they left for Spain the squad is probably 4 or 5 players short, Kane Wilson signed after that so perhaps it’s now 3 or 4 players. There’s still time and I suspect plenty of work going on behind the scenes to add those final pieces of the puzzle. As others have said, perhaps targets are weighing up their options, or maybe we had to wait for the sales of Bielik and Knight to fund the acquisition of our new star striker.

Ideally we’ll soon see a star striker join along with another midfielder to replace Knight, that would further complement what we’ve got and give me further confidence for this season, I really don’t see the need for extra concern currently as there’s still time. My own view is that it’s a squad game, we have a more balanced squad currently than we did last season with a better age profile and more suitable cover for each position (no midfielders playing wingback!). There are some goals in the side, if the season started tomorrow, the attacking options we have do carry a goal threat and I would be confident in us beating Wigan with a solid defensive effort and a goal or two from the likes of Collins, Sibley, NML, Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Washington or Ward. Might not be enough for a full season, but there’s time yet to add bodies, try not to worry too much. 🐏 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don’t think people disagree with what the concern is you’ve raised @Curtains, possibly how you’ve raised it?

So to be clear, yes ideally we do need another striker (or two).  
And Paul Warne has said as much himself, so the title of this thread seems misplaced, asking “Do we need a goalscorer Paul” seemingly ignores what Warne has already said, and could be interpreted as implying Warne doesn’t know that. Perhaps something was lost in the black and white of text whereas in verbal conversation people could hear your tone. 

You asked why we are signing all these defenders? The answer to that question is because we needed them, as much as we need attacking players.  You have to keep goals out as well as scoring them at the other end. We didn’t have any senior fullbacks or wingbacks last season and in the summer Curtis Davies, Richard Stearman, James Chester, and Haydon Roberts all left leaving us with Cashin, Forsyth and Rooney as the only defenders in the first team squad. Adding Nelson, Bradley, Wilson, Elder and Ward has given us the bodies needed at the back and solved our full/wingback situation. 
You asked where the 4 are that Warne wants, I’m not clear if you mean 4 other signings or 4 attackers? WaRnE stated before they left for Spain the squad is probably 4 or 5 players short, Kane Wilson signed after that so perhaps it’s now 3 or 4 players. There’s still time and I suspect plenty of work going on behind the scenes to add those final pieces of the puzzle. As others have said, perhaps targets are weighing up their options, or maybe we had to wait for the sales of Bielik and Knight to fund the acquisition of our new star striker.

Ideally we’ll soon see a star striker join along with another midfielder to replace Knight, that would further complement what we’ve got and give me further confidence for this season, I really don’t see the need for extra concern currently as there’s still time. My own view is that it’s a squad game, we have a more balanced squad currently than we did last season with a better age profile and more suitable cover for each position (no midfielders playing wingback!). There are some goals in the side, if the season started tomorrow, the attacking options we have do carry a goal threat and I would be confident in us beating Wigan with a solid defensive effort and a goal or two from the likes of Collins, Sibley, NML, Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Washington or Ward. Might not be enough for a full season, but there’s time yet to add bodies, try not to worry too much. 🐏 

What a good post that is. 
Ticks all the boxes.  

I assume you think we won’t lose any of our established players like Bird (my favourite )etc .

Maybe Warney still has to do some wheeling and dealing to get bodies in !

Curtains, nowhere in the history of this forum, have Jourdan and Tyler ever backed a manager, until now 😁. You know we will be promoted because of that alone. I was a little worried about signings but since then we have signed well imo, so hopefully we get our permanent forward signings in shortly. 

6 hours ago, Curtains said:

I’ll spell it out .

We haven’t replaced McGoldrick

Yet. By the end of the window we will have a far stronger team than last season. If in fact we haven’t already which is my opinion. All the evidence shows they are going about it systematically and successfully. Strikers will be signed. We will be a serious force to be reckoned with next season, I think we will win it

2 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yet. By the end of the window we will have a far stronger team than last season. If in fact we haven’t already which is my opinion. All the evidence shows they are going about it systematically and successfully. Strikers will be signed. We will be a serious force to be reckoned with next season, I think we will win it

Wouldn’t argue with an ex pro mate. 
You were great for us and Man U 

27 minutes ago, Curtains said:

What a good post that is. 
Ticks all the boxes.  

I assume you think we won’t lose any of our established players like Bird (my favourite )etc .

Maybe Warney still has to do some wheeling and dealing to get bodies in !

I hope we don’t have to sell anyone else, however I’m realistic about where the club is in the football hierarchy currently, if a championship or premiership club came in with a good bid I think it would be at the very least considered. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Which are? 

that we have lost several of our better players and seemingly not replaced them with the same quality.

our squad is weaker than last years as things currently stand, and we didnt make the playoffs last year.

this is a season we really have to be challenging for the top 2, the current squad doesnt do that.

Edited by alram

7 hours ago, Curtains said:

Some players may like the one to one option all the time others might not.

Some players might not like Warnes tactics others will .

Some players may not enjoy blasting around in the heat of Spain and some will 

End of the day it will be about results.

I have my concerns others don’t .

I hope Warne gets it right but lots of fans didn’t like Rowettball and some won’t like Warneball 

This a quality parody of a genuine Curtains' post -  love your work.

18 minutes ago, alram said:

that we have lost several of our better players and seemingly not replaced them with the same quality.

our squad is weaker than last years as things currently stand, and we didnt make the playoffs last year.

this is a season we really have to be challenging for the top 2, the current squad doesnt do that.

I disagree, I think the squad is stronger by virtue of it being more balanced. 

The midfield is no weaker as Knight barely played there. Arguably having smith and Sibs available to play in midfield makes it stronger. 

I concede that the one area that needs bolstering is in attack due to losing Didzy. I guarantee Warne will have targets to do that, and in this system a different forward may be an upgrade on him.

35 minutes ago, alram said:

Who?