Do we need a goalscorer Paul

Curtains

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

What a good post that is. 
Ticks all the boxes.  

I assume you think we won’t lose any of our established players like Bird (my favourite )etc .

Maybe Warney still has to do some wheeling and dealing to get bodies in !

Bird looks happy in Spain stuff so 🤞

I must admit I am a bit disappointed we have not signed a recognised striker yet, I know we have probably a better budget than the majority of teams in L1 one. but I would imagine we are competing against championship clubs with a bigger budget than us for free signings and loan players. I have total faith in Mr Warne I'm sure he knows what he is doing. 

19 minutes ago, Electric Ram said:

I must admit I am a bit disappointed we have not signed a recognised striker yet, I know we have probably a better budget than the majority of teams in L1 one. but I would imagine we are competing against championship clubs with a bigger budget than us for free signings and loan players. I have total faith in Mr Warne I'm sure he knows what he is doing. 

Washington has been recognised as a striker by several club and international managers over the last few years.

1 hour ago, alram said:

that we have lost several of our better players and seemingly not replaced them with the same quality.

our squad is weaker than last years as things currently stand, and we didnt make the playoffs last year.

this is a season we really have to be challenging for the top 2, the current squad doesnt do that.

Several???

Random thought about strikers.  I’m pretty sure that ahead of the Matlock game PW said ideally he’d have 4 strikers but he’s likely to have 3 better ones.

Looking back at last season Didzy and Collins scored 33 league goals between them, 22 and 11 respectively.  Didzy had 4 penalties, assuming we’d have had them anyway and Collins would have scored them as the preferred taker then that leaves 18 goals to replace.  If that had been the case Collins would have had 15 goals, so roughly 1 in 3.

I’m sure PW thinks he can squeeze a few more out of Collins and get the right players around him so he stays in and around the box.  Washington is historically a 1 in 3 striker at this level, so we can expect 10 - 15 goals from him.  If we can sign another striker who gets around a similar number, we’ll be looking at around 40 - 45 goals from 3 strikers, more than than the 2 combined last season.  Add in more from the number 10’s and from set pieces, as I think we’ll be a lot bigger threat from corners and free kicks this season, I can see is getting more goals than last season.

I think we’re getting a bit too focused on losing Didzy’s 20+ goals, whereas I think whilst we won’t replace his goals with 1 player, we’ll get more and be more effective as a team.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

On 14/07/2023 at 05:02, Kokosnuss said:

"a goalscorer Paul"?

It's a long while since we could call on a Paul to get us some goals...  Kitson, Peschisolido, Dickov, Goddard, o Wanchope.

I think we may be a bit out of luck, the name's gone out of fashion and I'm not sure there are that many goalscoring Pauls about these days.

Yes it's a Pauling

On 14/07/2023 at 10:58, alram said:

that we have lost several of our better players and seemingly not replaced them with the same quality.

our squad is weaker than last years as things currently stand, and we didnt make the playoffs last year.

this is a season we really have to be challenging for the top 2, the current squad doesnt do that.

You spelled your user name wrong, Alarm

Edited by MickD