James Collins

Keepyuppy

On 29/01/2024 at 13:56, CodnorRam said:

Collins never deserved the hate he received. Normally running about with no service and no one else chipping in with goals. 

Collins has done very well this season but your description isn't valid for last season, when Warne was driven to leaving him out of the team and McGoldrick was the main man.

5 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

taking away penalties, he has 9 league goals in 29 games. Worse than 1 in 3. 

What exactly makes him a 'star' this season?

This nonsense argument again. Penalty goals are still goals. If they’re not you might want to get the statisticians to dock Alfie May his 4 pens and Jordan Rhodes can’t have the 3 he’s scored either. 🙄 

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This nonsense argument again. Penalty goals are still goals. If they’re not you might want to get the statisticians to dock Alfie May his 4 pens and Jordan Rhodes can’t have the 3 he’s scored either. 🙄 

This same old nonsense attempt at defending him again. 

Fine, take away Rhodes' 3 pens he's still on 12 goals. Take away May's 4 pens he's still on 12. They are both still clearly ahead of Collins  and both are playing in worse teams than Collins is.

So if Bird was on pens and it boosted his numbers up, all the fans saying he's sh*** because he doesn't get enough goals would suddenly stop?

I like Collins and he’s having a good season but we’re in a position where our only striker could not get in our team who finished 7th last year with any regularity.

Whoever is responsible for this has made a right ricket. 

He’ll keep working hard as he does but do wonder how much it will play on his mind - he really can’t afford to get knocks or bookings which are both a big risk with the way he plays. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Fine, take away Rhodes' 3 pens he's still on 12 goals. Take away May's 4 pens he's still on 12. They are both still clearly ahead of Collins  and both are playing in worse teams than Collins is.

So if Bird was on pens and it boosted his numbers up, all the fans saying he's sh*** because he doesn't get enough goals would suddenly stop?

How is it a nonsense defence? He’s scored 18 goals for us this season, 13 in the league take away the 3 pens he’s scored and he’s on 10 goals in the league, take away the rebound and it’s 9. He’s still not far behind those other players. He’s scored over 200 goals in his career.

He’s a limited footballer who is a good striker at this level, the stats back that up, his play in general back that up, his fitness, availability and durability back that up. The only reason anyone is having to offer up a defence is because of nonsensical attacks from the likes of yourself. All you do is post bile against the manager and players of the club, why do you even bother with Derby or this forum? 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

How is it a nonsense defence? He’s scored 18 goals for us this season, 13 in the league take away the 3 pens he’s scored and he’s on 10 goals in the league, take away the rebound and it’s 9. He’s still not far behind those other players. He’s scored over 200 goals in his career.

He’s a limited footballer who is a good striker at this level, the stats back that up, his play in general back that up, his fitness, availability and durability back that up. The only reason anyone is having to offer up a defence is because of nonsensical attacks from the likes of yourself. All you do is post bile against the manager and players of the club, why do you even bother with Derby or this forum? 

18 goals. At least 3 of them were playing against kids in the pizza cup. 13 in the league, 4 were from pens , so 9 non pen goals really in 29 games. That barely just gets him in the top 10 scoring chart. If you had really read the stats then you would see that if anything they don't back up what your saying, they make him look even worse. His fitness, durability, and availability are all kind of the same thing. So your saying he's good because he's always able to play? Have you ever wondered why me and others are criticising him? If he was really doing that well why would anyone need to defend him? I have strongly defended some of our players and managers in the past, but Collins and even more so Warne are just not right for our club.

18 goals. At least 3 of them were playing against kids in the pizza cup. 13 in the league, 4 were from pens , so 9 non pen goals really in 29 games. That barely just gets him in the top 10 scoring chart. If you had really read the stats then you would see that if anything they don't back up what your saying, they make him look even worse. His fitness, durability, and availability are all kind of the same thing. So your saying he's good because he's always able to play? Have you ever wondered why me and others are criticising him? If he was really doing that well why would anyone need to defend him? I have strongly defended some of our players and managers in the past, but Collins and even more so Warne are just not right for our club.

All these reasons you keep rolling out to remove goals, have you done the research on every player in the division to come up with a new scoring chart?

So the criteria is you don't include pens, so also don't include free kicks.

No rebounds allowed, so no tap ins from someone else's shot also as that's the same.

No goals against kids meaning the trophy games so none against any team that isn't full strength, which realistically is all cup goals, and whilst we are at it, if a goal is scored against an opposition that doesn't have 11 men on the pitch at the time shouldn't count either.

I think goals against the bottom half teams can arguably be discounted for the players in the top 6 as it isnt a fair contest, after all we don't want anyone to be regarded as flat track bullies, these are the teams that should be beaten anyway as they are rubbish, no better than the 'kids' in the pizza cup as you put it.

So once you've done that we can have a reasoned discussion.

Oh, one more thought, the games discounted due to poor opposition mean they shouldn't count in the total number of games played either, so to make it easy, create a chart where only goals against the top 10 (for ease just use today's table) are scored.

It may make loads of difference,  it may not, I have no idea, but gut feel is, the order in the chart won't look much different to what's on the BBC website, if it does I suggest you write in and complain.

Edited by Rich84
Correction

Yes, I am wondering why you’re going out of your way to criticise him right now. Our only available striker, who is doing his best while wearing a Derby shirt, scoring goals that are helping us win games and you feel it’s important to point out he’s “not right for our club” and criticise him, the mind genuinely boggles as to why you would be choosing to criticise him at all. 
Ah well, if that’s how you choose to be there’s clearly nothing I or anyone else can do to help you see another perspective so I’ll not waste my time further. 

7 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

And yet as a TEAM we’re higher up the league and scored more goals than both of the clubs they play for.  And here’s me thinking that was more important.

13 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

taking away penalties, he has 9 league goals in 29 games. Worse than 1 in 3. 

What exactly makes him a 'star' this season?

Most people would regard their top scorer as one of the 'stars' of their team. Also penalty-taking is a skill not worth dismissing. 

15 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

You can't say "Sensationalism doesn't change the facts" and then in the next breath say "How many chances did he get against Cheltenham? 1... and he scored it". You are literally using sensationalism to change the facts!

Am I? An xG of literally 0 implies this isn't as sensationalist as you'd like it to be.

image.png.9fc66647350f0d9eaf56d71cbd26e7c9.png