"A week later and Derby would have gone"

IslandExile

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to finally have a decent, principled man like David Clowes at the helm, rather than some parasitic venture capitalist consortium, a human-rights abusing nation state or a deluded egomaniac millionaire.

No promise of on-the-pitch success could ever convince me to give up what we currently have for any of the latter.

I can't remember the last time I genuinely felt this, but it feels good to be a Ram.

Reading this piece brings that year flooding back and makes you quite emotional when thinking about it. The bond and unity between staff, players, and fans was unlike any other since I've been a derby fan. The games against Birmingham and Fulham stick out in particular as real 'wow' moments that made you believe there was no way the club could possibly sink under the mountain of debt. 

But it was also the year of doom scrolling at 2.00 am searching desperately for updates as yet another bidder or deadline had been and gone. I'm so grateful to have someone like Clowes at the helm who'll look after the club's legacy and not gamble it on a hope of promotion. 

That march is quite probably the most signigicant event in the entire history of Derby County since participating in it appears to have convinced David Clowes that if he didn't intervene then we almost certainly would be no more. That thought is frightening!

I've often wondered who the actual instigators of the march were because we, as Rams fans, owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

12 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Reading this piece brings that year flooding back and makes you quite emotional when thinking about it. The bond and unity between staff, players, and fans was unlike any other since I've been a derby fan. The games against Birmingham and Fulham stick out in particular as real 'wow' moments that made you believe there was no way the club could possibly sink under the mountain of debt. 

But it was also the year of doom scrolling at 2.00 am searching desperately for updates as yet another bidder or deadline had been and gone. I'm so grateful to have someone like Clowes at the helm who'll look after the club's legacy and not gamble it on a hope of promotion. 

This game for me, The 4k fans that turned up were applauded by the Tangerine fans...F*** the EFL

Video produced by Blackpool fans 👍 

A squad of 5.
Not getting the rub of the green in those early away league matches.
Defeats to world greats such as Lincoln and Port Vale.
An early exit from the one cup competition we had (realistic) high hopes of "Doing well" in.
The torture of a peno shootout defeat against one of the big boys.
The dampest of squibs against Wet Spam.
The false hope as the new year kicks off with a bang.
The reality of a 3 game losing streak as March turns to April.
One final bouquet of false hope in mid-April, before the dawn of reality rises from Leppings Lane.

... Forget all that!
This past 12 months has been an honour to be a part of, and an absolute pleasure... and all thanks to one man!

Not for the first time... I salute you, Mr Clowes!  🐏🍻

On 17/01/2022 at 16:56, eccles the ram said:

Forgive me as if this has been mentioned before but how about a 'DCFC Supporters March' starting from the Market Place to Pride Park. Should be light traffic on a Sunday morning and would only take 30 minutes or so, enough time for a beer before and at the ground prior to kick off. Would one of the Supporters Groups be able to manage it? It would certainly show the national media and its on Sky too. All power to our cause! 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

That march is quite probably the most signigicant event in the entire history of Derby County since participating in it appears to have convinced David Clowes that if he didn't intervene then we almost certainly would be no more. That thought is frightening!

I've often wondered who the actual instigators of the march were because we, as Rams fans, owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

I hope my early suggestion may have somehow helped start something off but i will be eternally grateful for the organisers on that day. What a day,what a march, it really was a defining moment to say to the football world - 'We are not letting this fantastic club of ours die'. UTR!

Is heartening to read the comments apropos Clowes didn't expect promotion last season and wanted some stability first and foremost.

Puts into context all of the petulant plebs on here throwing their teddies out of their prams that we didn't even make the playoffs last season when we had the best squad, best support yada yada and all down to the deficiencies of the manager that Clowes was also desperate to get to join the club. 

Shame on you all 

18 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is heartening to read the comments apropos Clowes didn't expect promotion last season and wanted some stability first and foremost.

True, but then he also says this about this season:

"Paul has been given a budget, I think a good budget for League One that is good enough to get us out of the league. But it's football and nothing is guaranteed."

I think 7th place in the 23/24 season gets Warne the sack

• 2 weeks later...