Premier League - 23/24 Season

Day

I like Declan Rice, I do, but £105m seems a bit excessive. Yes you have the English added tax on homegrown players, still though, does make you wonder at what point we see a "great reset" in transfer fees. 

We can't see players go for £200m, £300m each in the next 10 years surely.

3 hours ago, David said:

I like Declan Rice, I do, but £105m seems a bit excessive. Yes you have the English added tax on homegrown players, still though, does make you wonder at what point we see a "great reset" in transfer fees. 

We can't see players go for £200m, £300m each in the next 10 years surely.

I'm not convinced Man City wanted him. They just played Arsenal into bidding more than they wanted to.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I'm not convinced Man City wanted him. They just played Arsenal into bidding more than they wanted to.

Possibly, although I think West Ham were waiting for something silly from Arsenal to appease their fans.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Arsenal spending £170m on two players who haven’t improved their best XI.

Crazy.

I’m not that up to date but with July and pre-season approaching, I haven’t seen Luton sign anyone of note yet.

Rice will improve Arsenals first XI, not sure on Havertz or where he will fit in their system. However, both improve the squad quality overall which is where Arsenal fell apart in the latter stages of last season. A couple of injuries to key players and the replacements weren’t good enough to sustain the title push.

23 minutes ago, roboto said:

Rice will improve Arsenals first XI, not sure on Havertz or where he will fit in their system. However, both improve the squad quality overall which is where Arsenal fell apart in the latter stages of last season. A couple of injuries to key players and the replacements weren’t good enough to sustain the title push.

A lot of money, obviously, but two great players for Arsenal. Rice immediately solidifies that midfield and is far, far better than Jorginho. Havertz hasn't set it alight for Chelsea but he has so much talent. Was a huge fan of him in Germany and I'd back his best football to come.

On 29/06/2023 at 19:20, Bris Vegas said:

Crazy.

I’m not that up to date but with July and pre-season approaching, I haven’t seen Luton sign anyone of note yet.

They're certainly being cautious, I guess kind of understandable given where they've come from over the last decade. Rumours are that Nakamba that was on loan to them from Villa last year, they're now struggling or not willing to meet his wages as a permanent signing.

Only the one in I think, Ogbene, a sensible addition for their squad but hardly a wow signing. 

Interested to see what happens with them

On 29/06/2023 at 19:20, Bris Vegas said:

Crazy.

This season will pay for their new ground, improve their facilities, their stature, encourage “new” fans to take an interest, which must be hard when you’re just outside of London and all the Premier League choice.

They’re not going to admit it but they’re probably just going to try and build a team so they have a better Championship side for the season after next, and hope they don’t just take a pasting. They’ll get more points than we managed though.

Rated highly, only 20 years old, England U21 keeper and will likely be an England international before long. I think £19mil is still pretty steep, but there’s more contributing to that than just a good season at League 1.

It’s a big jump for him though, so it will be interesting to see how he fares.

Goalkeepers can concede a lot of goals but still play well or get upwards moves, look at Ramsdale now. It’s a great chance for him to propel his career.

15 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Rated highly, only 20 years old, England U21 keeper and will likely be an England international before long. I think £19mil is still pretty steep, but there’s more contributing to that than just a good season at League 1.

It’s a big jump for him though, so it will be interesting to see how he fares.

Goalkeepers can concede a lot of goals but still play well or get upwards moves, look at Ramsdale now. It’s a great chance for him to propel his career.

Had he signed from Bolton to Burnley, be more like £1.9m, although because he was on Man City's books the price rockets.

And that's the issue with football right now, the big boys hoover up all the young talent, then when they are deemed not good enough after several loans they sell for ridiculous sums.

What needs to happen, yet won't, is the clubs that send players out on loan must pay the clubs to have them for the season in development fees.

A non negotiable set fee and wages covered.

Premier League to Championship £1.5m

Premier League to League 1 £1m

Loan limit of 3 players from the Premier League.

The big boys might think again about stockpiling youngsters then inflating the fees.

50 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I'm not surprised 😁

image.png.1741420db765c007c61a31d804c966a2.png

25 minutes ago, David said:

Had he signed from Bolton to Burnley, be more like £1.9m, although because he was on Man City's books the price rockets.

And that's the issue with football right now, the big boys hoover up all the young talent, then when they are deemed not good enough after several loans they sell for ridiculous sums.

What needs to happen, yet won't, is the clubs that send players out on loan must pay the clubs to have them for the season in development fees.

A non negotiable set fee and wages covered.

Premier League to Championship £1.5m

Premier League to League 1 £1m

Loan limit of 3 players from the Premier League.

The big boys might think again about stockpiling youngsters then inflating the fees.

That’s the way it’ll always work though, clubs with more money don’t need to sell for low prices. Manchester City would rather take the risk of him turning into nothing than sell him for 2mil, whereas a 2mil sale would make a huge difference to Bolton’s finances. The only way big clubs ever seem to lose out on youngsters are to foreign clubs because the rules are different.

If we were a Premier League club, the amount we demanded for our players would be completely different. We could sell Jason Knight as a PL club, without ever having played a game for us, for more than we could now with all of his experience. I don’t think things will ever change unless there’s a more equal distribution of wealth, which again will never happen fairly.