Premier League - 23/24 Season

Day

I saw an interesting table the other day which is quite telling. Years outside the PL:

Leicester - 1

Leeds - 1

Southampton - 1

Watford - 2

Norwich - 2

WBA - 3

Cardiff - 5

Huddersfield - 5

Swansea - 6

Stoke - 6

Middlesbrough - 7

Hull - 7

Sunderland - 7

QPR - 9

Reading - 11

Wigan - 11

Blackburn - 12

Bolton - 12

Birmingham - 13

Blackpool - 13

Portsmouth - 14

Derby - 15

Charlton - 16

Ipswich - 21

Coventry - 22

Bradford - 22

Sheffield Wed - 23

Wimbledon - 23

These plus the current 20 are all the teams that have played PL football since the turn of the millennium. It’s crazy that we have seen 41 different PL teams since Derby were last there.

It would be nice to see Ipswich break the cycle. Coventry were a shootout away too.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I saw an interesting table the other day which is quite telling. Years outside the PL:

Leicester - 1

Leeds - 1

Southampton - 1

Watford - 2

Norwich - 2

WBA - 3

Cardiff - 5

Huddersfield - 5

Swansea - 6

Stoke - 6

Middlesbrough - 7

Hull - 7

Sunderland - 7

QPR - 9

Reading - 11

Wigan - 11

Blackburn - 12

Bolton - 12

Birmingham - 13

Blackpool - 13

Portsmouth - 14

Derby - 15

Charlton - 16

Ipswich - 21

Coventry - 22

Bradford - 22

Sheffield Wed - 23

Wimbledon - 23

These plus the current 20 are all the teams that have played PL football since the turn of the millennium. It’s crazy that we have seen 41 different PL teams since Derby were last there.

It would be nice to see Ipswich break the cycle. Coventry were a shootout away too.

God Sheffield Wednesday have been a long time out of it. That makes me feel old. But not as old as Wimbledon. I can’t believe they were in the premier league as little as 23 years ago. I feel like they have been mi done for longer than that. To have gone from a premier league club, to an uprooted club, and phoenix club in such a relatively short space of time is concerning. 

I bet Luton we’re somewhere near the bottom til this season. 

f****** depressing seeing qpr higher uk that list than us. But at the end of the day, what did winning that play off final really do for them. Here they are, getting cut adrift at the bottom of the championship, spiralling downwards. West Brom probably think the same about us. Funny how things go. 

45 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

God Sheffield Wednesday have been a long time out of it. That makes me feel old. But not as old as Wimbledon. I can’t believe they were in the premier league as little as 23 years ago. I feel like they have been mi done for longer than that. To have gone from a premier league club, to an uprooted club, and phoenix club in such a relatively short space of time is concerning. 

I bet Luton we’re somewhere near the bottom til this season. 

f****** depressing seeing qpr higher uk that list than us. But at the end of the day, what did winning that play off final really do for them. Here they are, getting cut adrift at the bottom of the championship, spiralling downwards. West Brom probably think the same about us. Funny how things go. 

It’s shown how time has flown. I still remember Ipswich beating us with Finidi George running rings round us. He is 52 now. Coventry at Highfield Road, Sheffield Wednesday with Di Canio and Carboni. 

But I also find it pretty astonishing that Birmingham have been out the top flight for 13 years. And both Bolton and Blackburn looked established at one point.

On the list though, there are a good 20 clubs there who are all of equal size and potential. It shows that getting out of the Championship requires a great amount of luck.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s shown how time has flown. I still remember Ipswich beating us with Finidi George running rings round us. He is 52 now. Coventry at Highfield Road, Sheffield Wednesday with Di Canio and Carboni. 

But I also find it pretty astonishing that Birmingham have been out the top flight for 13 years. And both Bolton and Blackburn looked established at one point.

On the list though, there are a good 20 clubs there who are all of equal size and potential. It shows that getting out of the Championship requires a great amount of luck.

And getting out and staying out, there are only a chosen few.

In our case, we had plenty of luck. And we succeeded in getting out. It’s just it was bad luck, and we got out the wrong way. 

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

both Bolton and Blackburn looked established at one point.

I can recall the year after we were relegated, the then chairman of Bolton, the late Phil Gartside(?) suggested, and rallied for the EPL to become a closed shop and remove all relegation and promotion. He must've known what was coming for them!

22 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I can recall the year after we were relegated, the then chairman of Bolton, the late Phil Gartside(?) suggested, and rallied for the EPL to become a closed shop and remove all relegation and promotion. He must've known what was coming for them!

It would be a bit depressing just finishing 20th every season. At least relegation let’s you find your natural level and experience some sort of success. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I know this is incredibly selfish but that's going to make Christmas Eve in the pub even better

If you're young, single, no commitments and a Wolves or Chelsea fan yeah.

Can't say I'll be rushing to watch it. Be off to spend time with my family, how it's meant to be done.

Boxing Day = Football Day

37 minutes ago, David said:

If you're young, single, no commitments and a Wolves or Chelsea fan yeah.

Can't say I'll be rushing to watch it. Be off to spend time with my family, how it's meant to be done.

Boxing Day = Football Day

Christmas Eve = Half family, half pub

Christmas Day = Family

Boxing Day = Football if we're not on TV

On 26/10/2023 at 13:14, David said:

In other news, Christmas Eve football is back with Wolves v Chelsea at 1pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67190696

Another win for the TV companies, another loss for the fans.

From the inception of the Football League in 1888, there was football on Christmas Day. Teams used to play a 'Christmas Double', i.e. the same team home and away over the Christmas period.

The last Football League game played on December 25 was as recent as 1965.