Premier League - 23/24 Season

Day

3 hours ago, David said:

Can't see that, as SSD said it will likely be abroad. Just can't see where, not a chance Saudi club would go for him with the way they punish rapists.

If they sign Montiel - https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/news/sevilla-star-gonzalo-montiel-faces-sexual-abuse-charge-plus-uncertain-future-club can't see any reason why they wouldn't also sign Greenwood.

3 hours ago, Anon said:

I'm not really sure what to make of this. According to the alleged victim, there's no crime to answer for and the police have decided not to pursue a prosecution. Is it really reasonable to campaign for a man who has committed no crime to be barred from returning to his job? Having said that, I wouldn't be comfortable with him signing for Derby. I find it baffling that Manchester United seemingly thought they could get away with bringing him back. Whether I agree or disagree with him returning, it's obvious that the very public nature of the incident and the current social climate make playing football in the UK a near impossibility.

What is the situation with libel laws here? Is it ok to even call him a rapist, or could he potentially sue?

The inordinate amount of time to come to this decision is I'm assuming  because Utd were seriously considering on playing him again - then they realised the backlash so this was always going to be convenient solution.

The bit that sits uneasy for me is that if Utd have chosen to exclude Greenwood from their team on the basis of their investigation then this should logically exclude him from all other football teams.

Unless either another football team has lower moral standards than Utd or the reason for excluding him weren't valid and purely down to pressure. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The inordinate amount of time to come to this decision is I'm assuming  because Utd were seriously considering on playing him again - then they realised the backlash so this was always going to be convenient solution.

The bit that sits uneasy for me is that if Utd have chosen to exclude Greenwood from their team on the basis of their investigation then this should logically exclude him from all other football teams.

Unless either another football team has lower moral standards than Utd or the reason for excluding him weren't valid and purely down to pressure. 

I'm interested, have you heard the media posts that lots refer to when they've made their decision on what they think about Greenwood?

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You've totally lost me 

The videos and posts that lots of people have heard relating to Greenwoods alleged behaviour?

Here's a written version from the BBC

"In material published online, a man - alleged to be Greenwood - could be heard shouting at a woman to "move your [expletive] legs up". The woman responded that she did not want sex, and the man replied: "I don't give a [expletive] what you want, you little [expletive]."

The man then says: "Push me again and watch what happens to you."

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The videos and posts that lots of people have heard relating to Greenwoods alleged behaviour?

Here's a written version from the BBC

"In material published online, a man - alleged to be Greenwood - could be heard shouting at a woman to "move your [expletive] legs up". The woman responded that she did not want sex, and the man replied: "I don't give a [expletive] what you want, you little [expletive]."

Got you know.

That material came out when - must have been some months ago now (don't know so correct me if I'm wrong)

So after the case was dropped why did it take Man Utd an ordinate amount of time to come to their decision today given that the tangential evidence was so overwhelming and it seems readily accessible from the start.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Got you know.

That material came out when - must have been some months ago now (don't know so correct me if I'm wrong)

So after the case was dropped why did it take Man Utd an ordinate amount of time to come to their decision today given that the tangential evidence was so overwhelming and it seems readily accessible from the start.

Right, so back to my question. 

Have you heard the media stuff that this is an excerpt of "a man - alleged to be Greenwood - could be heard shouting at a woman to

"move your [expletive] legs up". The woman responded that she did not want sex, and the man replied: "I don't give a [expletive] what you want, you little [expletive]."

That is the question I asked, have you heard it?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Right, so back to my question. 

Have you heard the media stuff that this is an excerpt of "a man - alleged to be Greenwood - could be heard shouting at a woman to

"move your [expletive] legs up". The woman responded that she did not want sex, and the man replied: "I don't give a [expletive] what you want, you little [expletive]."

That is the question I asked, have you heard it?

I've read the transcripts which I'm assuming the Man Utd hierarchy also did but still took months to come to their decision today. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've read the transcripts which I'm assuming the Man Utd hierarchy also did but still took months to come to their decision today. 

But you've not heard the recordings? The actual verbalisations of the things said?

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

where-you-going-anthony-mennella.gif

Lol. You really are a joker.

At the beginning of this long, long, piece of side stepping by you I asked you a simple question that you still haven't answered.

"I'm interested, have you heard the media posts that lots refer to when they've made their decision on what they think about Greenwood?"

Edit: actually no forget it, it is quite clear that you haven't heard the recording of (allegedly) Greenwood saying the above quotes.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

The Athletic ran an article which made it clear that United have been working on a way to bring him back, over the weekend that triggered a backlash of fans claiming to boycott the club and never watch another game. Rachel Riley being one of the high profile fans.

Monday morning they release a statement saying he's off.

So no, I don't think he will be looking for a club with lower moral standards than United, United were willing to keep him at the club, what he will need is a club willing to shut out the noise, accept the loss of some fans, possibly sponsors too. 

The investigation should have been completed in a day, even if you couldn't link the photos to Greenwood, the audio recordings were out there and pretty grim to listen to and cannot be justified in any way at all. 

I don't know what he could possibly have told the club for them to consider bringing him back.

On 21/08/2023 at 20:31, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. You really are a joker.

At the beginning of this long, long, piece of side stepping by you I asked you a simple question that you still haven't answered.

"I'm interested, have you heard the media posts that lots refer to when they've made their decision on what they think about Greenwood?"

Edit: actually no forget it, it is quite clear that you haven't heard the recording of (allegedly) Greenwood saying the above quotes.

Why do you think a reaction to hearing the recording would be any different to reading the transcripts?

For anyone pushing for him to be excluded from football, what career would you consider acceptable?

Edited by Anon

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

Why do you think a reaction to hearing the recording would be any different to reading the transcripts?

For anyone pushing for him to be excluded from football, what career would you consider acceptable?

I'm not pushing for him to be excluded.

I wanted to know if the recording had been heard, if you think there's no difference to hearing someone's voice speak and reading their words, then that's your view.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't know, as I haven't heard them, but maybe there were adjacent sounds such as huffing and puffing?  Maybe furniture being scuffed about?  vases being smashed against the wall?  Maybe even screams, sobbing, whimpers, or desperate pleas?

Like I say, I haven't heard it, but I do so imagine it would give a "better all round picture" than simply seeing the words written down?
Just like a video would offer more than just audio, I guess?  🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Anon said:

Anything where he's not idolised by young fans, if he wants to go flip burgers, drive a bus, train, mechanic or flip properties, not a problem. 

Being a footballer puts you in a privileged position, much like TV celebrities, actors/actresses, singers. You can make mistakes, apologise for those, although there is certain things an apology just doesn't cut it and allow you to carry on.

I have zero sympathy for the lad, none at all as despite what I say, I'm fully aware a club will take him on, shut out the noise and give him another opportunity.

Where ever that maybe, he will have to grab it with both hands and try and earn himself as much goodwill as possible be it working with charities that help abuse victims. 

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not pushing for him to be excluded.

I wanted to know if the recording had been heard, if you think there's no difference to hearing someone's voice speak and reading their words, then that's your view.

Fair point. Tone can be very important. I just think the words are fairly unequivocal in this instance.

• 2 weeks later...