New Academy Manager

Caerphilly Ram

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Wow, that’s an outstanding appointment on paper. Southampton’s academy are renowned as one of the best in the country, and it seems Hale played no small part in that success over the last decade. When you think of some of the names that have come through there, they really are a model any academy one club should be looking to follow - hopefully he can deliver similar here. 

Hats off to Clowes and co for managing to persuade him to come here given the current mess our academy is in (thanks Mel) - he must really love a project! This is a key milestone in the rebuilding of the academy and club as a whole imo, re-establishing ourselves from the ground up back to where we should be. Hopefully the academy can now finally deliver on the investment.

Excellent post, nicely optimistic and positive….who are you and what have you done with @Millenniumram?! 

I am only joking 🙃 

This seems a really impressive appointment. Despite a good season for the Southampton academy, it seems that most of their senior academy staff have jumped ship in the wake of the the recent club takeover. It's about time that our academy benefitted from the disruption at other clubs for a change:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/southampton-academy-director-hale-to-leave-at-end-of-season

Onwards and upwards.

COYR

The glory days of Southamptons academy are a little while ago now when Les Reed was the academy director.

nonetheless, they do have a good reputation and did produce one David McGoldrick back in the day.....

ATM James Ward-Prowse and Luke Shaw are the most recognisable products, although Theo Walcott is still kicking around.

Should be a decent appointment nonetheless.

26 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The glory days of Southamptons academy are a little while ago now when Les Reed was the academy director.

nonetheless, they do have a good reputation and did produce one David McGoldrick back in the day.....

ATM James Ward-Prowse and Luke Shaw are the most recognisable products, although Theo Walcott is still kicking around.

I agree. Let's not overhype this appointment. 

Southampton are in a very different situation to Derby. They have almost no competition for the best kids in the south. Portsmouth have been a mess for the past 10 years and after that it's Exeter.

Kids near Derby have options around Stoke, Derby, Forest and Leiec. It's very different.

Not saying this won't be a good appointment, but he will have a bunch of challenges he hasn't had before.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Southampton are in a very different situation to Derby. They have almost no competition for the best kids in the south. Portsmouth have been a mess for the past 10 years and after that it's Exeter.

Kids near Derby have options around Stoke, Derby, Forest and Leiec. It's very different.

Not saying this won't be a good appointment, but he will have a bunch of challenges he hasn't had before.

They compete for youth talent with Swansea, Cardiff and the two Bristol clubs too. As most of their two hour catchment is water, they were allowed to have a satellite base which they plonked in Bath to open up that part of the country. 

Edited by tinman

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Competing with Bournemouth and Brighton too surely?

5 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

brighton is 60 miles from southampton. The bottom bit of England is wider than you think.......

within 60 miles of Derby is much more congested.

Southampton also has historic first dibs on all the Guerns, Jers and Sarks from t'channel isles...🤣

They also compete in South London for players and those released from those clubs. Cobham only an hour away well within Cat 1 travel times. 

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Came here to say this. 
He could be excellent but I wouldn’t expect that to lead to a Southampton style conveyor belt. We are in much tougher competition location wise. 

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

Maybe now they are - and maybe that's why Southampton haven't been so productive in recent years?

But when Saints were having their purple spell (and I expect that's what most people were thinking of) both Brighton and Bournemouth were in League 1/2. Recruitment was easy.

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

Maybe now they are - and maybe that's why Southampton haven't been so productive in recent years?

But when Saints were having their purple spell (and I expect that's what most people were thinking of) both Brighton and Bournemouth were in League 1/2. Recruitment was easy.

At least we've recruited with an aim in mind, someone who is seen by others to be 'at the forefront' don't you think?

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

At least we've recruited with an aim in mind, someone who is seen by others to be 'at the forefront' don't you think?

Careful not to put too positive a spin on this RM5! The bloke’s been here 5 minutes and his CV is already getting questioned!

All the talk of Darren Wassall not talking with players or parents and the new guy talks about it in his first interview. 

“Derby County’s Academy has an excellent standing, so I’m eager to get down to work. I can’t wait to meet the existing staff and begin building excellent working relationships with everyone, including our young players and their parents.

16 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Gareth Bale?