Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

5 hours ago, alram said:

what are the relative fees for midfielders in this division?

anyone got any comparisons?

we can all throw around 4m but i dont think thats ever going to be in the case in this league unless you are talking about really top goalscorers

£4m gets you every player in League One. Scott Twine went for up to £4m and he was a talent that hadn’t been seen in League One for years - 20 goals and 13 assists from midfield at 22 years of age. The side he left consequently got relegated the season after which shows his impact. 

£2.5m for Knight and £1.5m for Bielik, if reinvested, gives us an opportunity to pick off some good players. Moxon at Carlisle, for example, Collins at Bristol. Who knows maybe a striker like Clarke-Harris. It allows Warne and Mark Thomas to go in whatever direction they think best. It also allows us to go in heavy with loan players which if done correctly can play a big part - Bolton do well in that regard. 

Quote from the article;

“StokeonTrentLive understands Stoke's interest in Derby ace Jason Knight is genuine and it's more than just monitoring the situation.

The Republic of Ireland international, aged 22, is expected to move on this summer after Derby missed out on the League One play-offs and Bristol City have already had two bids turned down while Ipswich are also being linked. It is thought a bid of about £2m could force a sale.”

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Quote from the article;

“StokeonTrentLive understands Stoke's interest in Derby ace Jason Knight is genuine and it's more than just monitoring the situation.

The Republic of Ireland international, aged 22, is expected to move on this summer after Derby missed out on the League One play-offs and Bristol City have already had two bids turned down while Ipswich are also being linked. It is thought a bid of about £2m could force a sale.”

If I’m Knight, I’d be looking at Stoke and thinking it’s a club that can’t seem to put it together - however, there are very few more financially secure and prosperous options that will be in for him. 

They’re able to dope their figures with Bet365 money and able to pay good wages. He could well get £25-30k if not more, with a move there rather than £15-20k a week at Bristol/Ipswich. 

Financially, it’s the best move for him by some distance.

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If I’m Knight, I’d be looking at Stoke and thinking it’s a club that can’t seem to put it together - however, there are very few more financially secure and prosperous options that will be in for him. 

They’re able to dope their figures with Bet365 money and able to pay good wages. He could well get £25-30k if not more, with a move there rather than £15-20k a week at Bristol/Ipswich. 

And he's only 30mins from Derby...on a good day down the A50 😁

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think your miles out with those proposed wages £12,000 to £15,000 a week is optimistic at best in the the new financial re-set taking place - now somewhere like Southampton or even the dirties he would stand a chance but not those who are embedded in mid table championship 

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I can imagine the call from his agent… I have some good news and some bad news, I’ve got you 30k a week but you have to go to Stoke to collect it.

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think your miles out with those proposed wages £12,000 to £15,000 a week is optimistic at best in the the new financial re-set taking place - now somewhere like Southampton or even the dirties he would stand a chance but not those who are embedded in mid table championship 

Stoke dope their accounts with sponsorship money. They now account more than double the sponsorship money they did when they were in the Premier League, essentially without it they just about turnover £16m which puts them in line with Preston and Bristol, etc. they pay over £10m in sponsorship and then another £4m categorised as something else but I would guess associated with bet365 - in comparison other teams are usually around £1-£1.5m so they’re doping by ten times the amount and their wage bill still sits between £35-40m - average wage of the players will be around £18-22k so for established members then it’s a good club for a pay day. 

29 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think he will stay here

If we don't accept a bid then he's got no choice really. 

I suspect him staying or going depends on what Warne wants to do in the transfer market. If he's got a couple of strikers lined up that require a chunky fee for example, and selling Knight gets them in then we'll cash in.

Be amazed if Knight stays.   Even though Warne is clearly a fan he didn't bring Knight to the club and i think the chance to cash in and bring in players he wants will be too tempting.  And with Didzy going we desperately need a quality striker.  That's going to be very difficult if we are only looking at free agents.

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Quote from the article;

Force a sale ? .....isn't that a little arrogant and disrespectful  ?

8 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Force a sale ? .....isn't that a little arrogant and disrespectful  ?

No big deal in my mind. They probably, with no arrogance or disrespect intended, meant to say something like “will probably be enough to secure a sale”. 

Honestly don’t see where Knight would fit into this team if he stayed. The wingbacks we’ve signed are clearly coming in to play most if not all games. 

Midfield is stacked with Bird, Hourihane, Smith, Sibley if no one else comes in or none of the academy lads step up. 

Could he be any good as a wide forward/winger over NML? He’s not really got the finishing to play forward. 

Honestly in this league 2-3 million would rebuild our front line with some quality long term strikers. It’s a bit of a no brainer.