Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Reading the Peterborough fans forum the consensus seems to be he's done well for them for several seasons after coming from non-league,but mid to lower league 1 is his peak.

Some of the more frequent criticism...

- fluffs most crosses, one in ten decent

- inclined to go to pieces in big pressure games

- gives away the odd daft pen.....

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Keep hearing Sam Smith mentioned as a potential signing. Anyone know what’s so special about him?

Seems pretty bang average 

1 in 3 record for a poor Cambridge side. Only 25 as well so at a good age.

About it really.

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Keep hearing Sam Smith mentioned as a potential signing. Anyone know what’s so special about him?

Sam Smith the footballer, don’t know that he is “special”. He looks to be a solid enough league one striker who has hit double figures for goals (13 last year and 15 the year before) in a poor Cambridge side. 25 years old, available on a free, if we are interested in signing him perhaps it’s as a squad option as one of the striking department rather than as the main man. 

Two very shrewd signings with plenty of upside.

Having Vickers will be valuable given we’ll be playing in four competitions again and we now know first-hand how a fixture pile up can take its toll. Wildsmith will be pushed and able to be rotated for a break, but also we’re covered if he gets injured too.

Bringing in Ward again looks sound. A mainstay in a Peterborough side that is well known for being free scoring and attacking. His versatility and potential output gives us options all of a sudden and will lighten the load for NML.

They aren’t signings that blow off the roof or grab any headlines by any means, but again I think we are moving towards a more balanced squad and a cohesive unit rather than a collection of headline grabbing individuals.

I like what I see so far - the signings look considered, logical, very much low risk and high reward.

1 minute ago, inter politics said:

Not sure if it's already been stated somewhere but Nixon in reply to Elder to Derby rumour: 'think that's possible'. Also hinting a centre half could still go (I assume if anyone comes in for Cashin?).

It’s possible and could go, don’t over commit yourself Nicko 😁

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Reading the Peterborough fans forum the consensus seems to be he's done well for them for several seasons after coming from non-league,but mid to lower league 1 is his peak.

Some of the more frequent criticism...

- fluffs most crosses, one in ten decent

- inclined to go to pieces in big pressure games

- gives away the odd daft pen.....

10 assist and 7 goals is a very decent record last year, I’m sure Warne will get the best out of him 

28 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

1 in 3 record for a poor Cambridge side. Only 25 as well so at a good age.

About it really.

Not that poor a Cambridge side if they can provide him 130+ shooting opportunities in a season though.

1 in 10 shots to goals ratio for 2 of his last 4 seasons is v poor, although his record in 2021/22 was almost twice as good as that which shows that MAYBE he can improve his clinicality, but I wouldn't bank on it and he loses over 62/63% of his aerial duels.

As @Caerphilly Ram said he'd be an option for rotation / backup but then that's a hard sell to a striker in a system where were likely only playing with one up top.

I'd be looking at who provided him with the opportunities more than the player himself - ie Harvey Knibbs as has been suggested 

Edited by Kokosnuss

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’d be properly miffed if we spaffed what money we did make on those 3. 

League 1 top goal scorer and the 5th top scorer as well as a player who scored 41 goals last season and you would be miffed?

I'm assuming miffed is now street lingo for pretty darn impressed and I'm just too old to know 😅 

46 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If we sign say JCH or May ( 500k-1.5m)

smith scored 14-15 goals and is a free 

smith 15 goals 

May or JCH 22/27 goals 

collins 11 goals 

not a bad front line 

36 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Not sure if it's already been stated somewhere but Nixon in reply to Elder to Derby rumour: 'think that's possible'. Also hinting a centre half could still go (I assume if anyone comes in for Cashin?).

You'd hope Cashin doesn't go. Although he could also be referring to Rooney going out on loan.

3 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

If we sign say JCH or May ( 500k-1.5m)

smith scored 14-15 goals and is a free 

smith 15 goals 

May or JCH 22/27 goals 

collins 11 goals 

not a bad front line 

...except it doesn't work like that because there are a finite number of scoring opportunities to share around.

It's why strikers/wingers who score lots of goals but only do so because of the sheer volume of shots they take are such a bugbear of mine when people just quote the number of goal contributions as proof of their quality, Ince/Lawrence styleee.

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

League 1 top goal scorer and the 5th top scorer as well as a player who scored 41 goals last season and you would be miffed?

I'm assuming miffed is now street lingo for pretty darn impressed and I'm just too old to know 😅 

No. A lot of money for 2 30 year olds who have only really scored goals for 2 seasons, and then a striker in the Jack Marriott mould who’s only useful in the box (wouldn’t fit in the system we want to use). 

13 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He’s 28 and would cost upwards of £1m. It would be crazy

40 minutes ago, inter politics said:

3 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

You'd hope Cashin doesn't go. Although he could also be referring to Rooney going out on loan.

His reply to a rams fan was typically cryptic. Said we’ve “spoken to a few cbs so could be signing 2… but that may depend on other events…” when queried on what he meant by other events he replied “if somebody leaves”. So not specifically saying a cb leaving, could mean Knight or Bielik and then the funds raised being used to further strengthen/recruit….or he could be talking nonsense which is entirely possible.